Flat top HK style possible in saiga .223?

It purportedly does not add much weight. A traditional AK hand guard weighs approximately 0.6 pounds. The TWS hand guard is said to weigh 0.8 pounds. Thus there is not a huge weight gain there. It is lighter than the ultimak. I don't know what the difference on the top cover is but it can't be much. In sum, it probably doesn't add as much weight as you think.

I like that it covers the gas tube so one can use the type of grip I like with less danger of burning one's thumb and that it lets one move his hand out further. I also like the idea of running some folding BUIS like the troy micros. With a red dot on there you will need a cheek riser. However, I'm not sure that it is worth the cost. You are looking at spending at least $400 for just the handguard and top cover.

An ultimak gas tube will let you add a red dot and a light and that is all you really need. It doesn't let you get your hand out as far to grip the weapon though.

Edited by Zambidis
  • Like 1