ATF revised the 2011 shotgun import study

Hmmm..... "it does NOT recognized “3-gun” matches as a sport."

morons.

Yeah I'm wondering about that. If by sport they mean just hunting, or if there's actually a checklist of criteria that they go through.

However, maybe I'm putting too much faith in the competence on the decision makers...

Wonder why they didnt compare the number of hunters to the number of clay shooters, like they compared the (single source i'm assuming) number of 3-gunners to the number of hunters, then compare the number of clay shooters to 3-gunners? That would be a much better comparison if you ask me. Seems like that might have been left out on purpose.

How is hunting, a "sport", when its done for population control and to put food on the table and not just for trophy? Seems like they mixed the number of trophy hunters into the number of overall hunters, to aid their argument or agenda...

I take the rails off.

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it, you only lose a feature and gain nothing by removing it, IMHO

I prefer to keep the rail, but I've never bothered using it. I can understand removing it if you use a different rail system, or you just prefer not to have a goofy Russian rail on the side of your shotgun. It adds a little bit of weight and has a few sharp edges - removing it streamlines the weapon.

Does this mean that we might see some 030 type S-12s, (with the usual sporter rear ends), come in with intact rails on the bottom of the gas block?

Sounds reasonable.......should be able to receive them with pistol grips and that may mean the triggers may come in thier original, intended position

Does this mean that we might see some 030 type S-12s, (with the usual sporter rear ends), come in with intact rails on the bottom of the gas block?

Sounds reasonable.......should be able to receive them with pistol grips and that may mean the triggers may come in thier original, intended position

To the first yes, to the latter, no. They will not come in with rear pistol grips. You might hope for them to come in with a thumbhole stock and the FCG in the correct position.

To the first yes, to the latter, no. They will not come in with rear pistol grips. You might hope for them to come in with a thumbhole stock and the FCG in the correct position.

I think if they came in this way we would end up paying $800+ for S-12s.

NRA's take on this is interesting.......

BATFE Modifies Shotgun Import Ban Study, Still Gets It Wrong

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/federal-legislation/2012/batfe-modifies-shotgun-import-ban-study,-still-gets-it-wrong.aspx

And I don't remember seeing this bit of federal law before. Maybe it means 922 and the possibility of non-compliance being illegal.

"In downplaying the ban's burden on gun owners, BATFE says, "it should be noted that the sporting purposes test under 18 U.S.C. § 925(d)(3) applies as a limitation only on the importation of shotguns." Not mentioned is that under federal law an individual is also barred from assembling a semi-automatic shotgun that that would otherwise be prohibited from importation. Under BATFE's scheme, a person who mounts a flashlight or telescoping stock on an imported semi-automatic shotgun could be in violation of federal law."

NRA's take on this is interesting.......

BATFE Modifies Shotgun Import Ban Study, Still Gets It Wrong

http://www.nraila.or...s-it-wrong.aspx

And I don't remember seeing this bit of federal law before. Maybe it means 922 and the possibility of non-compliance being illegal.

"In downplaying the ban's burden on gun owners, BATFE says, "it should be noted that the sporting purposes test under 18 U.S.C. § 925(d)(3) applies as a limitation only on the importation of shotguns." Not mentioned is that under federal law an individual is also barred from assembling a semi-automatic shotgun that that would otherwise be prohibited from importation. Under BATFE's scheme, a person who mounts a flashlight or telescoping stock on an imported semi-automatic shotgun could be in violation of federal law."

Then I am pretty sure 99.99% of people on this board are in violation of this law

Then I am pretty sure 99.99% of people on this board are in violation of this law

Yep, that's why it would be kind of a big deal.

As I said though, "Maybe it means 922 and the possibility of non-compliance being illegal."

In a sense, that line from the NRA piece is true. It just didn't state that compliance with 922 would make it legal.