Conversion kits and converting

I have recently purchased a bone stock new in box saiga and was looking to convert it. I found the conversion kits online at Carolina Shooters Supply and was wondering if one of these kits is all I need? Also are they as easy to put on as everyone says it is? I know my way around a toolbox but have never done any gun smithing. And is there any difference in the Tromix trigger guard and the Carolina shooters supply trigger guard other than looks?

A kit is all you need to do a basic pistol grip forward conversion. However, to make life easier after the conversion, I recommend an axis pin retaining plate and the modified bolt hold open device kit. Also take a look at gas plugs, pucs, and muzzle devices.

Also find some dental picks and hemostats to make reassembly easier.

As far as I know, the only difference between the DIY triggerguards is looks.

I would wait on buying anything for the gas system until you see how it shoots and if you need a specific part to help it run better.

I strongly agree on getting the retaining plate with your conversion kit order, I wish I had done that.

I would wait on buying anything for the gas system until you see how it shoots and if you need a specific part to help it run better.

I strongly agree on getting the retaining plate with your conversion kit order, I wish I had done that.

I think the retaining plate is automatically included in the kit now from CSS, at least, I don't remember ordering it extra. IMO, the kits are so easy and yes, it's as easy as everyone says it is.

Edited: My comments pertain to the AK 47, 7.62, so I really shouldn't be commenting on the shotgun since I haven't done one, although I don't think there is a great deal of difference?

Edited by AK Okie

A kit is all you need to do a basic pistol grip forward conversion. However, to make life easier after the conversion, I recommend an axis pin retaining plate and the modified bolt hold open device kit.

I'll second that.

As far as the work, the only problem I had was the surface of the rivets was hard as $%&%$##. I did buy the bitchin-disco bit from CSS, but that would not cut into the surface. I had to carefully dremel grind the surface of the rivets off, then the bit would cut. After that, just take your time and walk thru it.

Finished mine today. Lots of good info here in the DIY threads and posted on youtube by CSS. I wouldn't characterize them as 'easy' but I would do it all again.

Nate

It's a good feeling isn't it? Don't lie, I know you slept with your rifle last night (J/K), ROFL. I'm sure you're like me, the next one will even easier and less stressful. Looking back, I put too much unnecessary stress on myself because I was worried about ruining my rifle. Thinking about what I just said, I will probably mess-up my next conversion due to over-confidence, lol. Edited by AK Okie