Kushnapup install finally done!!

First of all, gotta give MrLee606 from youtube prompts for the video on installing this stock. It was WAY more informative than the directions that came with it. Cut down on the time drastically! I also understand what Indy said about doing the next one in about 15 minutes...they are that simple ro do!

Talk about a short, manuverable shotty! Feels balanced and handles great. My only beef is the trigger. I was able to use the reset spring and it works fine, but when you have a linkage system like this, you can't expect to have a short pull with no creep. It is gritty, but I expect this will improve with useage.

Indy has done a great write up, so I'm not about to reinvent the wheel here. Just tell what I have learned doing this.

The shotty will accept a twelve round mag as well as the MD 20 drum...but it would be VERY uncomfortable using the drum, although not impossible. BUT it does look wicked with the drum attatched!! wink.png

I took it out back and ran several mags through it to make sure that the stock didn't bind anything up...no worries there, it ran like a sewing machine!! And as another poster had said, the safety is way more user friendly using the Kushnapup stock!

I know that Greg @ CSS sells an optic mounting system, and have seen other systems for it on a well known auction website, so your choices for sight systems is pretty much wide open, which is a good thing since you will not be using the origional sights. But for what this is intended for (clearing your house) it can be used without them, although a light would be a good thing if you need to use it in the dark.

All in all, if I hadn't converted my S-12, I would definitely pick one of these up for it. I would have done like Indy and made an extension to cover the tangs so I could use it in more traditional ways if I wanted to. BUT if you never plan on changing the configuration (as my neighbor) a few minutes with the dremel takes care of the tangs...forget a hacksaw, these Saigas are made of Tank Steel!!! LOL

Well, here are some pics, because I know the old addage on here.." it didn't happen if there are no pics".

This is definitely a very neat system, but until someone comes up with a better trigger system, I don't think that I will be using it on a rifle anytime soon.

post-14474-0-60342100-1342376567.jpg

post-14474-0-58907800-1342376841_thumb.jpg

post-14474-0-25920200-1342376899_thumb.jpg

Edited by unclejake
  • Like 3

Not really bad for a shotty at all, wouldn't want it on a rifle. But for a home defense weapon, it is absolutely fine when you consider what you have. You have a very short, HIGHLY manuverable(spelling) 12 gauge that you can take care of any threat with. If I had the money for a second S-12, I would set it up just like this. I think that the trigger will get better with time. I also think that it could and will be improved on.

Edited by unclejake

Hey your gun looks great. big_smile.gif I just added a Kush stock to mine and it really makes a big difference.

My problem is the shotgun does not want to clear the spent shells out now. I had fired several rounds through it with the original stock, and it never missed a beat. But with this stock on I can't get it to clear the shells now. I have the gas port set at the same number 2 setting for low base shells, but it jams every time now. I just took the gun aparts again to check it over and see what I might have done wrong, but cant find anything wrong, as far as I can see. If anyone else hs had this problem when they installed the stock I would love to here about it.

Dan

The rail from CSS works well on the new stock, just make sure you get the one for the Kushnapup, they make 2 different ones.

My wife says that's the ugliest gun she's ever seen, including the Sub 2000 I just got. I swear, sometimes I think that woman doesn't know anything about guns. It looks damn fine to me.

Edited by Yeoldetool

I am finidng the trigger on my 545X39 Kush to be quite acceptable. Long take up but a nice stop and then a 5lb let off thats fairly crisp. Good enough to shoot 2.5 - 3 inch groups with open sights at 100 yards, which is baout as good as I shoot. I just used the hammer spring that CSS sells and rough polished the trigger and hammer sear surfaces.

These stocks are growing on me, but the LOP is way too long for my shooting style. I may build a custom pup with a LOP as close to WARSAW as possible.

Honestly, I am still in shock that these actually made it to market.

Brownwood, thank you, you just answered a question that had me holding off on doing a rifle! For the Shotty, it was acceptable to me, (and the customer was ELATED!! He picked it up tonight!) But I was worried about the trigger on one of the rifles. I am used to a short pull with a crisp 2.5-3lb let off, and did not know if I could get used to this on a rifle. Still not sure, but am more inclined to maybe try one..between this job and the one on the first, I can pick up one of the rifles and the stock.

And Drcling, I'm not sure what your problem might be unles the spring has partially jumped behind the plastic rib that holds it in place. That, or you may have it too tight on the shotty. Did you tighten down the front part before the buttstock portion was tightened down?Also, are you having issues with your safety?

I found I could NOT use the return spring in my build... Thankfully the factory trigger has enough oomph to reset just fine... 032.gif

000.gif

I second Indy's comment on the reset spring. It was unneccessary on my rifle build. In fact I thought it made the trigger much grittier. You may want to remove it, run a couple of mags, and see if you like it better.

Very nice build by the way! Looks Great!

Nice job unclejake. Good write up. I agree with you on the maneuverability of this setup inside a house. One of the main reasons I did this instead of getting a KSG. It definitely shortens the whole thing up. I can't wait to take mine out to the range. May be able to do it this weekend as I finally got the misses out of the hospital.

I second the motion on the CSS rail kit. Piece of cake and works great.

Mike

I need to get to the range with someone with one of these, so we can compare vs the Center Balance Spike kit on things like ergonomics and trigger, and we can freak out all the bystanders with our space guns. XD

I've been following this stock since there were about 100 orders and I could have sworn they said it would work on a restored gun. Was about to order one but the site said will only work on unconverted guns. Is it true?

I've been following this stock since there were about 100 orders and I could have sworn they said it would work on a restored gun. Was about to order one but the site said will only work on unconverted guns. Is it true?

Yes. The trigger needs to be in the stock position.

Ive been busy with family members in hospitals so I haven't been online for awhile. I am currently building my Kpup rifle in 7.62x39. I did a little trigger work on the factory conbobulation while I am waiting for a new Arsenal 2 stage from DINZAG. I ordered it on Monday this week and Brian shipped it the same day. It should be here tomorrow. I found that you can get a little smoother pull with just a little work. What I did was to drill and tap the trigger and wishbone rivets so I could reuse them. The trigger is in a constant state of binding with the factory FCG pin retainer. The spring that is used as the retainer pushes both the trigger and wishbone off center to the right and causes some binding of the trigger against the receiver. By taking that FCG retainer out and using E clips/hitch pins/or any of the other pin retainers that are available, it allows the wishbone fulcrum to self center and then the trigger also self centers. With that reduction in drag it will give a little better performance with the sporter setup. Of course some filing and polishing on the FCG will help even more. Just thought I'd through that out there. I think I have too much time on my hands. big_smile.gif Attached pics aren't the best but show the trigger in bind and the wear pattern on a new trigger and the last pic shows everything centered after removal of the FCG retainer spring.

post-35679-0-52703500-1343134166_thumb.jpg

post-35679-0-70936000-1343134188_thumb.jpg

post-35679-0-33710600-1343134212_thumb.jpg

post-35679-0-73276200-1343134238_thumb.jpg

I'd love to do that, I however, am correct-handed lol

I came here to say that as well...sometimes it sucks being right haha.gif

Left is right and right is wrong my friend. Am I right or am I right? lol