Hello to all, I have recently acquired a fixer upper 1944 Mosin Nagant M44, and I am currently in the process of fixing it up. The rifle itself is all matching, with a good bore, and has no mechanical issues, aside from the stock. The stock on this particular M44 has a rather noticeable crack extending on both sides from the bottom/rear of the magazine well, into the rear of the stock several inches. I was wondering if anyone could give me ideas/suggestions on how to fix this crack, or at least ideas on how to stabilize it, and restore some of the stocks strength/functionality for future use? Any input is welcomed!

Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure:

post-22801-0-91067600-1342414402_thumb.jpg

post-22801-0-44980400-1342414415_thumb.jpg

post-22801-0-35950800-1342414427_thumb.jpg

Again, any input is welcomed!

V/R

S_I

I've fixed many a cracked stocks in old rifles, some split right through to the action. If you can get the crack opened up just a little even, use Gorilla Glue. Follow the direction on the package. I wrap the cracked area with surgical tubing to keep things together till the glue sets up. It will hold, you will brake the wood before the glue fails.

this crack was right through the side to the action;

vz52004.jpg

After the fix;

vz52009.jpg

Edited by akastormi
  • Like 2

I've fixed many a cracked stocks in old rifles, some split right through to the action. If you can get the crack opened up just a little even, use Gorilla Glue. Follow the direction on the package. I wrap the cracked area with surgical tubing to keep things together till the glue sets up. It will hold, you will brake the wood before the glue fails.

this crack was right through the side to the action;

vz52004.jpg

After the fix;

vz52009.jpg

Thank you for the advice, would it matter, in your opinion, if I get the Gorilla Glue all the way in the crack, or just part of the way? The way this crack is, I would only be able to expose the initial outer layer to the Gorilla Glue with the hope that some of it would seep into the crack just under the surface.

Thank you,

V/R

S_I

Edited by self_inflicted

For what it's worth, I recognized that vz. 52 from the first photo alone :D

I love those rifles. Wish I could find a few more stripper clips, or better yet, magazines, for mine.

self_inflicted - Stormi's advice is very very sound, but the best repair is a replacement. Every now and again I'll come across someone selling their old Mosin furniture at a gun show, after they've replaced the original wood with polymer.

Self Inflicted, Shandianos makes a very good point. With the VZ52's, original stocks are hard to come by. I do own a spare M44 stock. Before you get excited.... It'll add to the fixer upper title. It is solid and not laminate, shows it age of handling wear, not an ounce of finish on it, still smells of cosmoline, has the old style sheet metal sling slide in the front and nothing in the sling hole in the butt. I was saving it, for reasons unknown to me now, I just had to look and see if it was still in the stock pile. LOL It has all the metal hardware, handguard and the cleaning rod. If you don't fix your's, PM me if your interested.

Shandianos......... I got clips....... all with ammo on them thou. :) Mags???? I need more. I want 3 per rifle, got 2 per now. Mags I can get, cleaning kits.... i wish for.

Stormi - I have only one mag for mine, and it doesn't sit quite right - it feeds just fine, but will not activate the LRBHO unless you are pushing the rear of the mag up into the mag well. I have three original 5-round clips from the 50's for mine, all of which are loaded. I also have 300 or so steel-cased rounds from the 60's, in boxes, not on chargers. I saw a spare mag at a gun show, before I had my rifle, for $70. Wish I'd made the guy an offer, now.