What color are Saigas?

Well im about to redue the finish since the conversion left several spots of bare metal exposed.

Now what color should I redue it in? Im looking at duracoat....but theres several blacks.....such as SOCOM black, Matte black, gloss black, etc. Which one of these should be the closest match to the Saigas finish?

Do any of these finishes look better than the factory one? SOCOM Black sounds pretty cool. :smoke:

Well im about to redue the finish since the conversion left several spots of bare metal exposed.

Now what color should I redue it in?  Im looking at duracoat....but theres several blacks.....such as SOCOM black, Matte black, gloss black, etc.  Which one of these should be the closest match to the Saigas finish?

Do any of these finishes look better than the factory one?  SOCOM Black sounds pretty cool. :smoke:

Should be a semi-gloss. I haven't seen SOCOM black to compare.

How black is SOCOM black/Duracoat? Sounds like a stupid question, but I did my AK project in satin black Molly Resin. It's a great finish, slick and hard as nails, but it has a slight silver metalic tint to it (has stainless in the mix as I recall), and I like the look of the black that comes on the Saiga's. Duracoat has a great rep but I can't recall actually seeing anything in it to compare to. Almost time to dress out my 12 next so I need to make a decission too. Paint will match, but unless you've seen a product like the Molly resin you can't understand the difference-I tapped in a pin on a Galil stock (with a hammer) that I had finished with the Molly product and it didn't marr at all, AND it has a self lubricating quality to it. How does the Duracoat stack up?

Im not sure what matches the Saiga's finish the best. But if it helps, I can tell you what does not match very well. Maybe this will help in the process of elimination?

Duplicolor flat black enamel, primer and high heat ceramic enamel all look more like a satin unless you bake them. And even then they still are little too shiny.

(Cant remember brand name) Charcoal grill / oven paint. Way too flat. It looks like a brand new chalk board, or a dark hallway.

Krylon.....Dont use it! :angry:

Duplicolor high heat engine enamel. Too glossy

Guncote flat black, very close. But not quite.

Autoshade Exhaust manifold and header paint. Damn near color match, but sprays splotchy. Comes out flat, satin, gloss everywhere. And stinks! Peeeyoou!

The stuff with fire on the can called 1200 deg. plus. (Duracoat?) Its an ok paint, but comes out thick.....Almost texured. Close in color, but looks like small metal flake laquer even after cooking it.

Hope this helps!

Two quick coats of bbq paint(maybe 5 min. between coats) and one coat of flat black engine enamel(5min after first two). Let dry, and it was perfect. first try, just a guess, but I got lucky and nailed it. If you want brand names let me know I can go look. highly reccomended!!!

In another post someone said "Krylon BBQ"> I just did mine last night, and

its dead nuts. Looks really sweet and dries really fast. :super: Also, seems to be

very hard finish. Pistonring says thumbs down on Krylon,and I understand why,

but it seemed to work well. Different strokes.......

Sorry about that, I didnt know Krylon made a BBQ paint. I thought Krylon was all enamels. How well does it fend off bore cleaner? Im scared to ever use Krylon again, it usually lays like laytex and doesent hold up to ANY solvents. If you found one that works, I will humbly retract my downed thumb.

:smoke:

Shit man, it looks so pretty, I'm afraid to put anything on it. It did sit in my gun case,and had break free on it. Did'nt do anything. I'll post pics, cause I just put a new sight on it.

Seacrest out :devil:

• 1 month later...
Sorry about that, I didnt know Krylon made a BBQ paint. I thought Krylon was all enamels. How well does it fend off bore cleaner? Im scared to ever use Krylon again, it usually lays like laytex and doesent hold up to ANY solvents. If you found one that works, I will humbly retract my downed thumb.

:smoke:

Hmm..... I had forgotten about this question. I will tell you that the paint I used was Rust Oleum high heat, it had a picture of a BBQ on it, so I tried it. The color was too flat, but it stuck on way better than krylon. So I used two coats of Rust Oleum, then two coats of Krylon. It looked good and held up well. Then I ran out of bore solvent, so I bought some Break Free. Bad Idea, it stripped that crap right off like a pressure washer. I had to repaint it the night before I went shooting with Steve467, I swear the paint was still sticky when we went out! Conclusion, the stuff looks good, just don't get crazy with the solvents, it'll strip that crap right off!