Evil Gun Hypnosis

I went to my local gun store this morning to get or order a Ruger American 30-06. Evil Gun hypnosis set in and I walked out with this Saiga 12. 30-06 bolt action rifle to a Semi Auto Shotgun. Go figure.

So what do these beasts like to eat. I've browsed around in here but just thought I'd ask. I have a bunch of Centurion Home Defense for my pump but don't know if it will feed well in this. An help would be appreciated.

Thanks

post-43493-0-25624600-1342572588_thumb.jpg

That depends. I have a 3 port gun, with a GunFixer gas plug and can literally shoot anything. If you have a 3 port gun like min, you most likely can shoot everything, but some need a GunFixer because they are a little temperamental. A 4 port gun should run like a damn sewing machine out of the box. I bought my GunFixer plug, though my particular 3 port gun ran fine out of the box, I just wanted to make sure. Now 2 port guns are even more temperamental, and may need the ports enlarged, another port added etc etc..

Socomdude, sorry but number of ports does not mean the gun will be a runner.

This site has proven over and over again, that 2, 3 or 4 port guns all have had issues and that 2, 3 or 4 port guns can run just fine out of the box. Its really hit or miss as to whether or not a specific S12 will run good out of the box!

OP, pick some ammo from your local store of different brands, different weights and different speeds, take the S12 out and test it out (be sure to adjust the gas regulator correctly) and report back with your findings. Its best to stick with a factory 5rd magazine for initial baseline testing. Dont forget to read over all the sticky topics in this forum.

To answer the OP, hopefully you're lucky. You will more-than-likely have problems running Winchester bulk, so I'd stick to Federal bulk pack at a bare minimum if I were you.

If you notice any problems running that, remove the quad-rail and see if it runs better. Some quads have been known to hinder performance since they "clamp" onto the gas system. Eventually, you're going to give in to peer pressure and do a full conversion. It's really easy and makes the weapon a lot easier to handle.

Basically, the phrase I've coined fits here nicely:

All Saigas are different, like snowflakes only more badass.

Let us know of any issues that arise and we'll get it figured out. I'd like to say that we've seen it all, but just as soon as I say that, something new pops up. We'll figure it out together, now go try some different ammo out and see what happens!

Gunfixer is the guy's name, the plug WILL NOT "fix" an undergassed gun!

I wasn't saying it would fix an undergassed gun, it will regulate the amount of gas better than the stock plug, thus making it more reliable

Socomdude, sorry but number of ports does not mean the gun will be a runner.

This site has proven over and over again, that 2, 3 or 4 port guns all have had issues and that 2, 3 or 4 port guns can run just fine out of the box. Its really hit or miss as to whether or not a specific S12 will run good out of the box!

OP, pick some ammo from your local store of different brands, different weights and different speeds, take the S12 out and test it out (be sure to adjust the gas regulator correctly) and report back with your findings. Its best to stick with a factory 5rd magazine for initial baseline testing. Dont forget to read over all the sticky topics in this forum.

Well shit, that defies logic, but I guess I'll take your word for it. Why would it not matter though? More gas ports + Gunfixer = more gas through the system with a better regulation of flow than with the stock plug = reliability; so why would that not matter? I read posts a while back about 2 ports not being up to par with out of the box reliability as 4 ports... I can't recall the post exactly though.

Not trying to start anything, just wondering why the number of gas ports does not matter.

I was reading a government funded study the other day that said that they like to eat babies, I'd start there and extrapolate off of that.

oh, and yes report back with your results please sir

• Like 1

A lot of times, the ports aren't the right size or sometimes they aren't even drilled all the way through. I'd just take off the gas plug and see how many ports you have and do the paperclip test to make sure they are all open, then go shoot 100-200 rounds of high brass to break it in, if it even needs to be broken in. Try the cheap bird shot first though to see if it will cycle it. If not, then the high brass. Just make sure it works before you convert.

I've shot everything thru my stock 12 but Winchester bulk. high brass/low brass. 2 3/4 and 3". It loves it all. I love the 3" and all my friends think I'm nuts. Too much kick they say, I say my shoulder can take it. I only worry about whats gonna hurt the most on the receiving end.