Fixed, Collapsibleor Folding Stock?

174 members have voted

1. 1. What type of stock setup?

• Fixed Stock
    • Folding Stock
    • Collapsible Stock
    • Collapsible Folding Stock

I was just wondering what people's preferences were. Currently on my build, I'm using a cheap Tapco Warsaw length fixed stock that I bought used for cheap just for T and E on my conversion. Are there any practical pro's or con's to any of these setups? Also, with folders, how operable is the shotgun when folded? I've noticed that it looks like the stock blocks the trigger or obscures the grip?Thanks guys for your input.

I have always liked the look of a folded stock but never really found it practical (even though all of my rifles have a folding and\or collapsible stock). Regardless, practicality isn't necessarily at the top of my "requirement" list... I do like collapsible stocks and have used those to my benefit.

Max functionality is the combo. Collapsible folding with a cheek riser would be most functional.

But if you look at what I have, it is a wood fixed and a wood folding.

Get the one that fits you. If you only take it to the range and back, it doesn't matter. If you want to have the gun close to hand where you work, without being in the way, folding is great. I.e. truck/ tractor gun, boat gun....

People who have concerns about limp-wristing, don't seem to understand the point of a gas operated weapon. Tune it so that it works no matter how you hold it, and it adds functionality. Riot gun holds are easier to get through tight doorways with while sweeping through a room than shouldered long arms. Sure an SBS would be better, but not all of us can have those. a folded SBS has the convenience in tight spaces as a PDW.

I am greatly considering this option. When folding to the left, what stocks will clear the optics mount?

Any ar stlye stock will hit the optics mount and be held slightly out(not quite fold parallel) The tube with no stock has about .050 clearance from the rail. As they don't lock folded(just held by spring tension) it does not cause a problem, and they will stay folded, but I still suggest right folders for rifles with a scope rail.

I am greatly considering this option. When folding to the left, what stocks will clear the optics mount?

Any ar stlye stock will hit the optics mount and be held slightly out(not quite fold parallel) The tube with no stock has about .050 clearance from the rail. As they don't lock folded(just held by spring tension) it does not cause a problem, and they will stay folded, but I still suggest right folders for rifles with a scope rail.

Great information. I have another question, I'm not sure if you'll know the answer to. If you are using the right side folder will one of the oversized charging handles clear it when folded?

Great information. I have another question, I'm not sure if you'll know the answer to. If you are using the right side folder will one of the oversized charging handles clear it when folded?

I'm not sure what charging handles are out there but this pic should answer your question

24801-9.jpg

• Like 3

Like most things, it's largely personal taste and based on what's more important to you.

PROS:

• FIXED STOCK

1. Simple. No moving parts to break.

2. No hinge mechanism sticking out the scope rail side, that might block mounting/removal.

3. Some can hold a cleaning kit.

• FOLDING STOCK

1. Shorter length for storage. I suppose it could help in confined quarters, but I typically use stock a when firing, whenever I can.

• COLLAPSIBLE STOCK

1. Able to adjust to fit different shooters and/or different thicknesses of clothing or armor (if you have any).

2. While not as short as the folding, it can still reduce overall length for storage.

• COLLAPSIBLE FOLDING STOCK

1. Combines the best of both folding and collapsible.

CONS:

• FIXED STOCK

1. Cannot be adjusted for different shooters/clothing.

2. Cannot be reduced in length for storage.

• FOLDING STOCK

1. If it has an Ace left side folding mechanism, it might block your ability to mount a scope on the side rail.

2. Might not fold all the way to the left, even if it does allow mounting on rail.

3. Some that fold to the right might interfere with the charging handle. Can block the safety too.

4. Depending on the folding mechanism, it might get loose over time. I think the push button Ace can.

• COLLAPSIBLE STOCK

1. Doesn't look like a traditional AK, if that matters to you. Some folders are traditional, but no collapsibles.

2. Because many collapsibles are for AR type rifles, there's a ton of them out there. With that comes several less than stellar stocks available. Do your homework.

1. Combines the worst of both folding and collapsible.

2. While being the most configurable, all those moving parts are more subject to breakage, loss and general wear that a fixed stock. This is a generalization though.

Edited by Corbin
  • Like 2

Like most things, it's largely personal taste and based on what's more important to you.

PROS:

• FIXED STOCK

1. Simple. No moving parts to break.

2. No hinge mechanism sticking out the scope rail side, that might block mounting/removal.

3. Some can hold a cleaning kit.

• FOLDING STOCK

1. Shorter length for storage. I suppose it could help in confined quarters, but I typically use stock a when firing, whenever I can.

• COLLAPSIBLE STOCK

1. Able to adjust to fit different shooters and/or different thicknesses of clothing or armor (if you have any).

2. While not as short as the folding, it can still reduce overall length for storage.

1. Combines the best of both folding and collapsible.

CONS:

• FIXED STOCK

1. Cannot be adjusted for different shooters/clothing.

2. Cannot be reduced in length for storage.

• FOLDING STOCK

1. If it has an Ace left side folding mechanism, it might block your ability to mount a scope on the side rail.

2. Might not fold all the way to the left, even if it does allow mounting on rail.

3. Some that fold to the right might interfere with the charging handle. Can block the safety too.

4. Depending on the folding mechanism, it might get loose over time. I think the push button Ace can.

• COLLAPSIBLE STOCK

1. Doesn't look like a traditional AK, if that matters to you. Some folders are traditional, but no collapsibles.

2. Because many collapsibles are for AR type rifles, there's a ton of them out there. With that comes several less than stellar stocks available. Do your homework.

1. Combines the worst of both folding and collapsible.

2. While being the most configurable, all those moving parts are more subject to breakage, loss and general wear that a fixed stock. This is a generalization though.

Excellent comparison post! Thanks for taking the time to write that up.

• 1 month later...

I love the shorter ACE Socom stock attached to the SGM internal trunnion adaptor, and I leave it collapsed all the way down, so I guess I use it as a fixed stock. But if someone else wants to shoot it with a lil more LOP they can whip it out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I personally really like the look of the folding skelaton stocks but I have always had fixed stocks. The folding and collaspable stocks I have seen all seem to be a bit loose. Maybe some of the better (more expensive)ones lock up tight. I would suggest if you want one, spend the money to get the best NO cheap plastic mechanisms, all metal! Years ago a friend of mine bought a plastic folder for his SKS and the damn thing would fold while firing.

I just bought and received a folding skeleton stock from Bonesteel Arms - awesome! Very tight, all steel mount - highly recommend.

Actually it is aluminum not steel, but glad you are happy anyway, we can't seem to keep any of these on the shelves, it is consuming all our resources right now, hopefully we will get ahead of the game real soon, batches keep getting larger.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure what charging handles are out there but this pic should answer your question

24801-9.jpg

Just curious, could you tell me what combo this is. I think this is the direction I want to go....Thanks

I have always liked the look of a folded stock but never really found it practical (even though all of my rifles have a folding and\or collapsible stock). Regardless, practicality isn't necessarily at the top of my "requirement" list... I do like collapsible stocks and have used those to my benefit.

When I had a car I did not see the need either but thought folders were cool looking. But when I moved to Asian countries where the bicycle is more useful and also on my return to the United States (without a car) so I'm using public transportation. Having a folding stock on my Saiga 12 allows it to be easily put in a non-weapon like container. I use a trumpet case when on a bus. The folding stock shortens my weapon enough to make it much more practical in use... for me at least.

I personally really like the look of the folding skelaton stocks but I have always had fixed stocks. The folding and collaspable stocks I have seen all seem to be a bit loose. Maybe some of the better (more expensive)ones lock up tight. I would suggest if you want one, spend the money to get the best NO cheap plastic mechanisms, all metal! Years ago a friend of mine bought a plastic folder for his SKS and the damn thing would fold while firing.

VLTOR AK to military sized AR tube plus magpul CTR is absolutely rock solid. Thats what I ended up with on mine.