Fixed, Collapsibleor Folding Stock?

174 members have voted

1. 1. What type of stock setup?

• Fixed Stock
    • Folding Stock
    • Collapsible Stock
    • Collapsible Folding Stock

I have always liked the look of a folded stock but never really found it practical (even though all of my rifles have a folding and\or collapsible stock). Regardless, practicality isn't necessarily at the top of my "requirement" list... I do like collapsible stocks and have used those to my benefit.

When I had a car I did not see the need either but thought folders were cool looking. But when I moved to Asian countries where the bicycle is more useful and also on my return to the United States (without a car) so I'm using public transportation. Having a folding stock on my Saiga 12 allows it to be easily put in a non-weapon like container. I use a trumpet case when on a bus. The folding stock shortens my weapon enough to make it much more practical in use... for me at least.

Folders make the gun easier to have ready to hand in any work area or vehicle. Not just bikes. It's one of the main reasons I made one.

Folders make the gun easier to have ready to hand in any work area or vehicle. Not just bikes. It's one of the main reasons I made one.

Easier use of your weapon while in a vehicle makes sense. There are a lot of maniacs on the road and as long as your state allows it, sounds good to me. I almost always have my firearms in the trunk if I have a vehicle.

You are very skillful GunFun with these Saiga 12s. If possible link or post some pictures of your homemade folding stock. Would love to see how you did it and the results.

I had a folder on my first Saiga 12 sold it last year to a guy that needed a 24" more than me and I now have a fixed stock on my second Saiga 12 19". I was thinking about putting a side folder collapsible on it this summer? Also sweetcostarica why the heck are you riding "the people mover" with a Saiga 12 last I looked they don't stop at any ranges.

I have a folding stock on mine. I have tried shooting it while folded, and it functions just fine, but I prefer not to shoot like that. It's just nice to know I could if I had to for some reason. I did not do the conversion, so it came with an Ace stock already attached. I saw no reason to change it out. I do all my shooting with the stock in place. I just like the compactness of the gun when the stock is folded. it makes storage and carrying much easier.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I think it is obvious why I chose the under folder as my folding option for this shotgun. It packs very well and it looks good too.attachicon.gif1385641540813.jpg

Looks good but don't you have to take that mag out before you fold it? 

I cant see how that one folds or unfolds with a mag inserted....

Edited by Jpanzer

It's true you have to remove the magazine if it is 10 rounds or more. But it works fine with the five round and it's supposed to be able to work with the eight round mag. I have not acquired one of those yet because I haven't found one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Hopefully I'll be able to send the picture of it with the five round magazine and show the room it has to spare. Still it does not bother me to remove the magazine to unfold it if that's the way I want to shoot it. I usually practice with it folded. It doesn't seem to be a problem to me.

post-10843-0-97728100-1392773017_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Also, with folders, how operable is the shotgun when folded? I've noticed that it looks like the stock blocks the trigger or obscures the grip?

If you use a German or Polish style steel folder, the trigger and charging handle will not be blocked at all.  You can operate all funcions of the weapon, including the safety, with the stock folded.  They are tough as nails, and lock open and closed.  Only available in 8 inch warsaw length though.