Some one school me on building a target/fun 10/22

brought home a Ruger 10/22 from academy. Ive been wanting a project 22 for awhile. its not going to be over night, just as I get funds.

I need some pointers. No idea where to start. barrels? what brands are quality. Twist rate? Whats good. Stocks, So many stocks out there. I want a good thumb whole stock I prefer wood but can sacrifice for a nice poly one if i need or should I get a hogue,.....how hard is it to upgrade internals? is is worth it? You get the drift.

I have a cheap bsa scope Im gonna start with for now.

they're actually pretty accurate once you get past the gritty factory trigger. id do the trigger first, then id put a good optic so you can see the progress. these are fun guns. congrats on the purchase.

• Like 2

I would vote for the power custom trigger, and stopping. Good magazines a few bricks of ammo and practice.

A fancy bull barrelled Volquartzen $2K 10/22 isn't significantly better than a stock one with a better trigger.

Bolt lightening if you have stovepipe issues.

and yes chevy, these rifles are very easy to work on. check youtube vids for complete disassembly if you dont already know how. very simple design. its helped me out in the past with other guns. my pencil barrel does more than what i could expect it too, and i havent changed the trigger out yet. im running it bone stock at the moment, but the trigger is holding it back from what it could be doing. its easy to dump money into these guys and they usually end up with parts that cost more than the original gun. lol. its good though.

i think you made a good choice my friend.

but before you invest in a bunch of ammo, try to find out what yours likes best. these guy can be pretty picky. mine loves the cci stingers and winchesters. my buddy has the same exact model as me, and his eats ammo mine dont...go figure smile.png just dont want to see you dump money in ammo that your rifle may not like.

Target crown will help alot. There are two options for this depending on the barrle you get. Bull barrels are prefered because there's less effect from harmonics, and they don't heat up as quicky. However they cool much slower once hot. Free floated barrel, is a must if especially with a wood stock. And of course as everybody else said improved trigger. I did my own trigger job, but there aren't many people who will have bad to say about Kidd or Volquartz...except me, cause I don't like spending the extra for something I've already got the tools to do myself.

I have the tactical modle with a threaded barrel it's just the basic tapper but goups excellent at 100 yrds. At 50 yrds..it's boring to shoot no challenge. All I use for optics is a cheap ($50) BSA 12x40... at 100 yrds I dont even need a spotter, you can see the hits just fine. Now I haven't tried it further out than 100 yrds, and I've not been rough with it by any means so it's held it's zero fine. Oh, and mine has the ATI colapsable/folding stock and a promag bi pod.

Check out Rimfire.com forum it's full of usefull info.

You'll want to check and make sure to get rid of overspray inside the receiver, it can cause slight drag and effect reliablity. Also it can help to slick down the bolt and even the firing pin to decrease drag and improve lock up time.

If you go with a laminate stock, boyds stuff is ultra nice.

Edited by poolingmyignorance

volquartsen hammer and bolt release. Got a nice barrel from EABCO that's threaded in case I ever get a supressor. And Leupold makes a nice rimfire scope for $200.

Edited by mizombiekilla

You can also check out rimfire central forum. Good info about the 10/22 there. I'm getting the zk22 bullpup stoc, probably a trigger setup and barrel as funds permit. Have a reddot and 10/22 ready and waiting.

Congrats on your new purchase. Echoing others here....best upgrade bang for the buck is definitely the trigger. Check out Hornet products online for a drop in trigger kit as well. I have the 2.5 lb target trigger in mine and LOVE it! Plus they will buy back your factory trigger for 30 bucks, giving you a great trigger with zero uptake or creep for around $80 bucks.

Boyds stocks are great, when they have product in stock. Unfortunately they were out of what I wanted for several months and I gave up and bought the Revolution extreme, which I have been very happy with. It was true drop in with no fitting and is rock solid.

You have several choices in barrels. I have an 18" ER shaw spiral fluted bull 1:10 twist. If you want it lighter you can go with the newer aluminum bulls. I still prefer steel and welcome the weight as I bench shoot alot.

Finally, you said you will be using a BSA scope to start off. I still have the BSA 3x9 Sweet .22 on my 10/22 and can split golf tees at 100 yards with it. I love the thing and won't upgrade it until it literally falls apart.

Make it your own and enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

i spent 30 bucks on a power custom HAMMER. Reduced trigger pull from 7 to 2.5 pounds.

I spent 100 bucks and installed a stainless fluted "shooters ridge" .920 barrel.

With wolf "match target" ammo ( NOT match extra... that shoots worse...) It will put EVERY ROUND inside a circle HALF the diameter of a dime at 50 yards

How much more accuracy do you require??? And how much do you REALLY NEED to spend??

For under $200 you can have it looking like a $3-4000 H&K G36

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/867542/promag-archangel-nomad-folding-rifle-stock-system-with-25-round-magazine-ruger-10-22-synthetic-black

Got 5 Rugers, did this to #1

2- the Archangel 556 kit in Tan

3-painted stock like a Tiger

4-dragunoved via ATI Fiberforce

5-Butler Creek combo pack (OMG - I had no idea how that would increase accuracy)

Love them all!