Red Dots on Saiga-12s

I just got a converted Saiga-12, and am thinking about putting a Burris Fast Fire III red dot scope on it. It's main purpose is for home defense and I want a quick target acquisition. So does anybody have any experience with a red dot scope on your Saiga? How well do they stand up to the recoil of a 12 gauge?

I find the Russian PK-AS to be a perfect match for the S-12. I can shoot clays with it all day. Very quick, both-eyes-open target acquisition. The sight's body just disappears and all that you see is that big 50 MoA circle and the 1 MoA dot. Also, works without batteries (or if the red dot goes out) during the day or if you have a decent light on your weapon, at night too.

I've had a Fast Fire 1 on my first Saiga since I got it in 2009. Works great on a shotgun but another I had on a Glock got wrecked after about 1000 rounds. The Fast Fire 1 & 2 (I have not seen a 3 yet)use small screws to hold the glass window in place and the recoil would shake them loose. Burris replaced mine every time I had a problem but I was out of action till I got them back. I actually bought a spare so I would have one to send in for repair. I also have a C-More STS that lived on my Saiga for a while but now resides on as a side dot on my match rifle and a Aimpoint H-1 that is on my match Saiga. The C-More STS is a good choice and only a little more expensive than the Burris. It has a click switch that moves left and right not front to back so is not affected by recoil plus the switch has 3 positions instead of the 2 position Burris switch. The H-1 is more expensive than most other red dots, except perhaps the Trijicon, but is more rugged, has better battery life and is not effected by water on the lens. With any sight that bounces the light back at you, if water gets on the lens you will have multiple reflected dots when you look in the sight. The Aimpoint is closer to a regular scope and the dot is generated inside the tube, not reflected, so even if the sight is wet you still only see one dot. The Aimpoint is high quality optic that was designed for military use so was made to take abuse. Most civilian optic products will work well but will generally not stand up to the punishment that military optics are designed to take.

Doug

• Like 2

Good point, water on the lens would have never crossed my mind..until I had water on the lens that is lol. Kinda like how you can drive for so long with shitty wipers. Then it rains...

P.S.-while you're here and on that topic, does the winged sight mount on yalls website fit the RMR?

• 2 weeks later...

I've considered the TRS-25. But also the C-more. I have a few things it could end up on so investing a little more in the STS might be the right way to go in the long run. It would also be nice to put 3 TRS 25's on 3 different guns instead of just one though as well. So I haven't made a move yet.

I myself am torn between a Eotech 552 I think, Aimpoint Comp M2 and a Aimpoint Comp M4. I have all three sitting in the safe and I'm going with that 1913 rail rear sight replacement that CSS has. But I guess I'll have to try all 3 to figure out what works best for me. If I didn't have them I'd probably go with a micro dot of some kind.

• 3 weeks later...

..... and I thought I was crazy for wanting to use an Aimpoint T-1 on my 3 G rig. Looks like that may nit have been such a crazy idea. As rough as I am on stuff, I tend to "buy once".

Nothing crazy about it, they work great. :beer:

Tac47ZenS12Aimpoint02.JPG

I put my Mepor Israeli reflex on the saiga using a side rail mount. It was a little high so it didn't feel right. Even if I got a more natural alignment it would still not be worth putting it on a shotgun. It might be nice but not really needed if you shoot it a bunch. I don't really even need sights on my shotgun. If anything, I would suggest you put a nice surefire flashlight on your weapon and whatever it lights up, will be sprayed. Blinding the home invader before you ace them is the way to go! Even gives you a little extra time to distinguish between white and black hat.

I tried to like aimpoints and reflex sights on shotguns but it just isn't happening for me.

..... and I thought I was crazy for wanting to use an Aimpoint T-1 on my 3 G rig. Looks like that may nit have been such a crazy idea. As rough as I am on stuff, I tend to "buy once".

Nothing crazy about it, they work great. beer.gif

Tac47ZenS12Aimpoint02.JPG

Just make sure to tell them about your stock and how it makes it all work! :)

I just got a converted Saiga-12, and am thinking about putting a Burris Fast Fire III red dot scope on it. It's main purpose is for home defense and I want a quick target acquisition. So does anybody have any experience with a red dot scope on your Saiga? How well do they stand up to the recoil of a 12 gauge?

You have to turn those on and off correct? Wouldnt an iron sight be better for home protection as far as the time needed to benefit from a red dot?