My first time taking a dremel to an AR.......

Just like before the first time I ever converted a Saiga, or cut off a tang........I was hesitant about hacking the FSB down on one of my uppers and cutting off the delta ring/spring. But just like the Saiga conversions, after I did it, I said to myself "Well that wasn't so hard!".

So I bought a Spikes 14.5" upper with a pinned DynaComp to bring it to the legal 16". With a setup like this, your options are limited in what you can do with it, since the comp is pinned on (I knew this well before purchasing the upper, but I've never had a 14.5" upper before, so I felt that I "needed" one, lol). I decided I wanted to add a rail. But since I don't have the means to pull the barrel at the moment, I was limited to a rail that used the standard barrel nut. Which is fine, because I love Troy rails and they're new Bravo series of rails uses the standard nut. Also, since you can't remove the comp, you can't install an aftermarket low-pro gas block.

So I took my dremel to the upper and proceeded to cut off the dela ring and then the spring. That was the easy part. Next, I had to use a cutting disc to hack off the big sections of the FSB. This was also easy, since there's no precision involved. Then came the "hard" part, which was really just more time consuming, than "hard". I had to grind the FSB down into the profile of a low-pro gas block, so the rail would slide over it.

After all of that was done, I used the same old high-temp engine enamel that I used on my Saiga conversions, to finish up the exposed steel. I'll be honest, it looks like crap, since it's not even close to a match of the original finish, but whatever. It's under the rail and the rail covers basically block visibility completely.

14.5" Spikes LW upper with pinned DynaComp

Spikes M16 BCG

13" Troy Bravo Battlerail (Magpul MOE handguards in the "Before" picture, with custom stubby VFG made by a member of another forum)

Tango Down stubby grip

Magpul ladders

LaRue rear BUIS

Daniel Defense front BUIS (in "After" pics)

Mega Machine Shop lower

Magpul MOE stock (pinned, per NYS law)

Magpul MIAD pistol grip

Before:

photobucket-9531-1342720476238.jpg

After:

Delta ring/spring removed. You can see where I nicked the barrel near the nut. Not deep, so I wasn't worried about it. Woops!

photobucket-3060-1342721147750.jpg

The rail mocked up for fit, before painting the poor-man's low-pro gas block. I forgot to snap a pic of my handywork on the FSB. But here is basically what mine looks like, just less refined, lol: http://www.kevinholman.com/byor/fsb/fsb10.jpg Keep in mind though, I had to do mine while still attached to the barrel.

photobucket-1642-1342795830158.jpg

Finally all put together.

photobucket-7429-1342800303510.jpg

photobucket-2624-1342800342159.jpg

photobucket-5853-1342800372349.jpg

photobucket-5338-1342800406985.jpg

photobucket-10276-1342800433574.jpg

Toying with a 12 o'clock light position. It actually works great. It looks like it would totally block your sight picture, but it doesn't. You can see it, but the tip of the front sight post is above the top of the light. Actuating the momentary-on is just a flick down with my support hand thumb, which rests right in that area anyway.

photobucket-2860-1342800266848.jpg

The 13" rail over the 14.5" barrel gives me a boner, and in case you're wondering...........it's actually lighter now, than when it had the standard middy handguard setup on it.

So anyway, just wanted to share my first experience with hacking shit off an AR upper!big_smile.gif

• Like 4

Cut, weld, grind. LOL It's only metal, it can be fixed if you F up.

It looks better, but it cries for some more color. smile.png

I had to work with what I had laying around.biggrin.png

nice finished product. Did you have any youtube vids that you watched to to this or just knew what you were doing?

I did watch a couple videos, and read some walk-throughs on Arfcom. I also looked at pics of shaved FSB's, to see what I had to end up with. It really wasn't hard, once you get up the nerve fire up the dremel and start cutting.

The delta ring only took 2 cuts on opposing sides to pop right off. The spring can actually be removed without cutting, if you get two pairs of needle-nose pliers, squeeze the spring together, and twist it off. Then, for the FSB, all you really gotta do is hack off the big parts with a cutting disc and then use a grinding stone to profile it down. All of this would have been even easier if I had a work bench and a vice to slap the upper in. Instead, I was in the garage and had to prop it up on a stereo. Ghetto, but it worked, lol. Sort of like my Saiga conversions. Doing them sitting on the floor and using odd means to complete the task. But hey, whatever works. I'd probably be quite the handy sonofabitch, if I had the appropriate workspace and tools to do things.haha.gif

If you want, I can try to find the videos I watched for some pointers. I know for me, seeing it done makes it a lot easier and helps remove some of the hesitation.

So many times I've considered cutting off the sight tower on my AR to get it out of the way of the scope. Seems like that would be so much easier that grinding the weld on the pinned compensator, because, well, being in NY and all........

I'm still not ready for two shiney spots on top of the FSB that aren't park'd.

• Like 1

So many times I've considered cutting off the sight tower on my AR to get it out of the way of the scope. Seems like that would be so much easier that grinding the weld on the pinned compensator, because, well, being in NY and all........

I'm still not ready for two shiney spots on top of the FSB that aren't park'd.

Yeah, the pinned comp can be a bitch if you're looking to swap things out. Since we have to have pinned comps (or nothing at all) on an AR in NY anyway, that's part of what made me go with the 14.5" pinned to 16". I didn't have to pay extra for it, as it came that way.

As for your situation, yeah, I would probably be a little more concerned with the finish, since it wouldn't be hidden under a rail. But you could always use some Cold Blue or similar pastes to finish it and keep it looking good.

whats your thoughts on the dyna comp?

I like it a lot. I'm not sure if it's just the comp, or a combination of the comp + middy gas system + the heavy buffer............but this thing feels like an air gun and stays on target really nicely.

It's modeled after the Battlecomp, but is quite a bit cheaper.

Another plus, is that it's not like most comps that are obnoxiously loud. It's louder than an A2, but not by much.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

I like the long rail over over the shorter barrel look.

How do you like the troy hand guard? I've been thinking about up grading to a Troy Alpha 15"

The stream light is a nice light for the price. Thought of mounting the light on the side with the remote switch kit and put the front sight all the way forward?

• Like 1

I like the long rail over over the shorter barrel look.

How do you like the troy hand guard? I've been thinking about up grading to a Troy Alpha 15"

The stream light is a nice light for the price. Thought of mounting the light on the side with the remote switch kit and put the front sight all the way forward?

I like it a lot. It's light, and I think the Alpha rail is even lighter (in comparable size).

I've thought about it. But to be honest, I was really just messing around, and just seeing how it felt/worked. I don't have an AR out next to the bed for night-stand duty or anything, so the light hasn't stayed mounted. I originally bought the light to use on my G21 that stayed on the nightstand.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I know this thread is over a year old, but finally got around to doing the same thing to one of my ar's.  It was a PSA upper with a slightly canted front site.  Chopped it down and put a Troy rail on.  Balance on it now is great.

• Like 1

I know this thread is over a year old, but finally got around to doing the same thing to one of my ar's.  It was a PSA upper with a slightly canted front site.  Chopped it down and put a Troy rail on.  Balance on it now is great.

Finally! I told you were going to do it anyway...LOL

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...