• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some butthead macho jerk at the range was bragging about how recoil didn't bother him and he could shoot anything. I got my little 12 ga out of the truck and handed it to him with some turkey loads I

I go to the range early in the morning during the week. Helps me to avoid meeting those kind of people. A while back I met a guy at the range and he was checking out my Saig converions. Found out he h

"It's not loaded...."

Posted Images

I don't remember the exact phrasing, but one time at an indoor range I was talking with a couple army guys on leave. They had kinda low end ARs with stuff almost randomly chosen from the no longer cool tactical stuff bin slapped on. So I kinda figured they weren't really gun guys so much.

I had asked them something to the effect of what guns they liked and what they used them for. They said hunting coyotes and that they wanted more power.

I asked if they had reason to think that their .223s weren't enough...

Their response was that they didn't have any 223s but their 556s were too powerful for hunting coyotes. 

It would have been funny sarcasm, but it was clear that neither of them knew that 223 is basically the same thing, and that it is a popular choice for shooting coyotes.

most common stupid thing I see at the range or for that matter at the store is the wrong ammo for the gun being bought and they just don't have a clue. Locally you can't return ammo so if you buy the wrong stuff you're screwed. 38 Super and 38 Special, 22 LR and 22 Mag are not interchangeable, 9mm Kurtz and 9mm Luger aren't the same any more than 9mm Largo and 9mm Luger. 30-40 isn't a magnum load for a 30-30. 7.62-54R won't work in a 7.62 NATO gun.

Oh yeah ACP does not stand for Any Colt Pistol.

• Like 1

" I don't know why I'm not hitting anything with this" a Savage 99, scoped with a low rise front scope mount, extra high for the rear. Using my eyeball I'd say the scope  was about 20-30 degrees sloped downward. Front bell was dang near on the barrel. Gun was in 300 savage so he wasn't being stupid cheaply either.

"You can't shoot that automatic illegal gun here" Showed up to shoot trap with my stock EAA S-12 factory camo'd 22" fixed full. Private club, former asshat in charge.

"No way a .22 subsonic will stop a groundhog" a local member of the law enforcement community stopping me while hunting groundhogs on the farm. I respectfully told him to keep a look out along the road as he was leaving, since there was 4 dead ones.

"AKs are just bullet hoses" Then I make the 8" gong ring at 100yd offhand with my x39 underfolder.

I stopped caring about how many SEALs/SOG/ Special Forces guys I've met.  I'm sure the guy who was shooting the 1.5" group at 500 yards with his .338 Lapua was trained by somebody though.

• Like 1

My favorite dumb conversation at the range shooting 3 gun is shotgun chokes. There are always a group of "Pros" that act like changing the chokes are like gold clubs and every stage the choke must be debated, changes, and then blamed for not shooting the stage well.

• Like 2

My favorite dumb conversation at the range shooting 3 gun is shotgun chokes. There are always a group of "Pros" that act like changing the chokes are like gold clubs and every stage the choke must be debated, changes, and then blamed for not shooting the stage well.

...because it can't possibly be the nut behind the trigger!

We have similar clowns in SASS too. Spends thousands on slicked-up squib loaded .38 Spl. barely-legal full race guns.

...then bitches when he come in 5th out of 20, or when I, with box stock 45 Colts and full power BP 12 ga, beat him on a stage, and I'm an average shooter in our group..

They should try to get to Carnegie Hall!

• Like 2

I stopped caring about how many SEALs/SOG/ Special Forces guys I've met. I'm sure the guy who was shooting the 1.5" group at 500 yards with his .338 Lapua was trained by somebody though.

I swear I made almost that exact comment to somebody who was offering unsolicited advice on my shooting stance with a pistol. (I shoot isosceles. ) following a brief conversation about an interest in long range shooting.

It's funny to see it written like this cause it's pretty damn stupid out of context. But it was in response to "well the seals I know all shoot weaver stance, and I don't think there's any reason to disagree with them. "

You don't live near magnolia TX, do you?

;)

"AR's don't need to be headspaced, as the parts are all the same."  5...4...3...2...1...KABOOM!!!

"You can't use the magazine in that gun (SP1 AR), because it might run away." 

And you wonder why I stopped going to public ranges!

• Like 1

Funniest thing I've ever witness at a range (HotWells) was a group of Vietnamese gang bangers.

My buddy and I get out of the truck as the gang bangers(4 0r 5 of them) got out of theirs with an AR15. Thought "Oh shit there goes the neighborhood."

The gangbangers approached to pay, and the old lady (at least 80) said to the one with the gun 'Get the damn barrel off the floor."

The guy was leaning on his AR with the muzzle end on rough concrete. We all laughed.

My buddy and I got setup, and a few minutes later all the GBers left. Asked the range attendant why they left.

He said "They only had one box of bullets." 

-Several boxes of 12ga shells on my table-

-12ga shells splayed out on my table-

-Spent 12ga shells all around me-

-Loading 12ga shells into my magazine-

"So... Does that shoot 7.62?" asks the person in the lane next to me.

• Like 2

I have to say the recent but incredibly far reaching fad of every one using "7.62" as a complete caliber description in conversation should be on this list somewhere. As near as I can tell, the video gamers who bought into firearms at the last major scare started talking like that so that they would sound like old hands with guns. I get that from a few friends of that description. I keep telling them that it makes them sound more ignorant, rather than familiar, but they continue. I think this will stick. As much as I think the pedantry about clip/magazine is pointless, this one bugs me a lot. There's no room for confusion with the clip/magazine thing, but "Is that a 7.62? I got a couple boxes of ammo for that if you want to go shooting tomorrow..." leads to genuine confusion most every time it comes up. Whether they mean x51 x39 x54r .. (People who talk such seldom seem to know that it could easily be 30-06, 300 BO, 300 Win mag, 30 carbine) 

At least in the mid 90s the poser habit of referring to a pistol as  " my nine" was almost always the same cartridge. This is that, but wannabe operator, rather than wannabe gangbanger. 

• Like 2

I have to say the recent but incredibly far reaching fad of every one using "7.62" as a complete caliber description in conversation should be on this list somewhere. As near as I can tell, the video gamers who bought into firearms at the last major scare started talking like that so that they would sound like old hands with guns. I get that from a few friends of that description. I keep telling them that it makes them sound more ignorant, rather than familiar, but they continue. I think this will stick. As much as I think the pedantry about clip/magazine is pointless, this one bugs me a lot. There's no room for confusion with the clip/magazine thing, but "Is that a 7.62? I got a couple boxes of ammo for that if you want to go shooting tomorrow..." leads to genuine confusion most every time it comes up. Whether they mean x51 x39 x54r .. (People who talk such seldom seem to know that it could easily be 30-06, 300 BO, 300 Win mag, 30 carbine) 

At least in the mid 90s the poser habit of referring to a pistol as  " my nine" was almost always the same cartridge. This is that, but wannabe operator, rather than wannabe gangbanger. 

I wonder if anyone here has a Vz.52. 

It's even worse when they aren't even talking about 7.62 anything.

I was at Taco Bell yesterday, after one of the employees heard that I had recently been to the range he started telling me about one of his guns.

TB guy: I'm working on building something interesting, an MG-52.

Me: You mean 42?

TB guy: No, the MG-52, "Hitler's Buzzsaw".

Me: Yeah, the 42.

TB guy: Oh, that's right, anyway, it's in 7.62.

Me: I thought those were 8mm Mauser?

TB guy: No, it's the 7.62 SK that the Russians use.

So, apperently the Germans and the Russians were friendly enough in WWII that they could use a caliber the Russians hadn't even come up with yet. Who'd a thunk it?

For actual range stuff, there's always the classic "I shoot .45 'cause shooting twice is silly". This is usually the same guy that takes 10 seconds to shoot at a paper target 5 yards away, and still manages to miss.

• Like 1

Yeah. I've heard a lot of people say some variant of " I carry 45 because I need my gun to have more knock down power and a nine is not enough." -- While keeping their short barrel .45ACP loaded with Winchester White Box FMJ. Two of those were at a range.  Also, "I want a .38 SPL, because I want more punch than a 9mm." -- That one though actually listened when I explained that 38 and 9mm are the same diameter, and in 125 grain projectiles, the actual ranking of power is 38 SPL, 38 SPL+P, 9mm Luger, 9mm Luger +P, .357 Sig, .357 mag... He just got a cute little shield- with a manual safety- sigh.

At Dunham's the other day someone asked me what the difference between 7.62x39mm and .30-06

At Dunham's the other day someone asked me what the difference between 7.62x39mm and .30-06

Not everyone knows everything. We all have something to learn.

...some more than others.

Indeed, I meant it more as to show that there is a bit of confusion amongst .30cal rounds. I admittedly didn't know that 7.62 NATO was .308 for a long while and thought it was just "AK ammo" of better quality, as to say it was made in the First World instead of out of a factory last modernized in 1951. 

My response to his question was "Which one is your gun chambered in?"