RED DOT PRODUCT REVIEW?

I'm not interested in placing a $500 red dot on a shotgun, that said there is so much complete crap out there in the way of red dot sights that I came across this and read literally a 100 good reviews about cost vs. quality including several folks that were shooting slugs with their Saiga's. Now I'm asking you guys. This sight is below with the model #. Its about $80.

Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 1xRed Dot Sight Riflescope

post-41636-0-53970200-1343229015.jpg

• Like 1

Save up and buy an aimpoint or trijicon rmr

Yeah you need to read my original post, its not about the money, I dont NEED an Aimpoint or EOTech. its a shotgun not an AR-15. Too each his own.

+1

He sure loves that t-6 stock

I used to have that stock and matching forearm. Stock was ok but godawful cheap and forearm cracked and broke off. Cheap shit if you ask me.

I'm not interested in placing a $500 red dot on a shotgun, that said there is so much complete crap out there in the way of red dot sights that I came across this and read literally a 100 good reviews about cost vs. quality including several folks that were shooting slugs with their Saiga's. Now I'm asking you guys. This sight is below with the model #. Its about $80.

Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 1xRed Dot Sight Riflescope

Have you looked at a company called Konus? I've seen a few circulate through the shop I work at, and a co-worker had one on his Socom until he got the one he was saving up for. I was about a half a day too late to pick up his used one before a lil girl bought it to put on her Cricket .22 lol

Take a look at Sightmark. inexpensive and plenty good enough for a shotty.

http://www.opticspla...ightmark/cat~20

or an enormous 1x40 Tasco like mine. XD

I just bought the Sightmark SM13001 and I'm VERY pleased with it! VERY small! Only two brightness settings but the second is VERY bright. I bought it from Gander Mountain on sale for $70 and paid $10 for a 2 year extended warranty (even due to accidents).

FYI - I also liked the Bushnell VERY much as a close second. The Bushnell is considerably larger. I bought the Sightmark micro dot for home defense and short range recreational shooting.

I might buy the Bushnell and compare them though on the range because I like the variable brightness and slightly larger viewing area.

i have a trs 25 and like it very much. it is on a 5.45 saiga i have. you will have a hard time finding another red dot that is as bright with a small 3 moa dot for the money. it seems to be very tough as well and has great battery life. for the money it is a sure thing. i believe that at this price point it is the bench mark. for a little more money vortex makes a really nice red dot as well that is a very solid piece. but it is heavier and a lot bigger.

I think I might just have to go with one of those. Combined with the new CSS mount, it seems like a very decent set up for a HD shotgun all for around $130 total. I looked into a cmore RTS, but at almost $400, its a bit out of range.

Vortex... Strikefire or SPARC.

Their scopes & RDS are worth far beyond their price range, as is their fully transferable, no questions asked and unconditional guarantee and very very few come close to their CS.

Vortex... Strikefire or SPARC.

Their scopes & RDS are worth far beyond their price range, as is their fully transferable, no questions asked and unconditional guarantee and very very few come close to their CS.

Strikefire - huge (6+") and heavy (7+oz).

Sparc - 20mm tube + no auto-off + $200 = deal breaker.

Razor - at almost $500 I might as well get an Aim or Trig.

I dont understand why folks respond to this question with advice to buy an expensive red dot when the question CLEARLY states thats not what Im interested in. Its a shotgun so no I dont wanna add $500 for an EOTech to money pit my S12 has already become. No thanks.

Right, the main difference between cheap RDS and expensive RDS is the precision/roundness of the dot and parallax for 100 yard+ targets, and neither of those are really a concern even for a slug gun. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I could comment on this but all I have is second hand experience with a few friends that run some Bushnells and they seem just as good at 25 to 35 yards as my Eotechs and Aimpoints. Believe me I got lucky and got a Eotech I think it's a 552 it' the one with night vision settings and 2 AA's and a Aimpoint Comp M2 plus a Comp M4 all for free yes I said free! Inherited from a friend that passed. I still can't figure out which ones going on the S12. They are sitting in the safe collecting dust until I get that rail from CSS that replaces the rear sight. I'm a po old boy and I would have had no shame in putting a $80 RDS on my S12 if I hadn't inherited these.

• 2 weeks later...

Any idea who makes that side mount in the video for that red dot?

I am pretty sure that is the ~90 KVAR 04s here : http://www.k-var.com/shop/KV-04S.html

It is hard to tell though, because there are a million chinese ones that look near identical for ~$24 and

Guntec USA for ~$50, which I have, and which I had to repair after an impact with a friend's face. Poor quality cast aluminum. I honestly wonder whether KVAR and Guntec just buy the chinese ones and engrave their names in them.

post-17871-0-54383600-1346029585_thumb.jpg

post-17871-0-49649800-1346029604_thumb.jpg

post-17871-0-52794600-1346029645_thumb.jpg

post-17871-0-45747600-1346029650_thumb.jpg

If you can, get a mount with integral rings instead of weaver base. It will sit lower on your gun and you will be happier with the alignment. It will also save you the money on rings and have less parts to shift.

Any idea who makes that side mount in the video for that red dot?

I am pretty sure that is the ~90 KVAR 04s here : http://www.k-var.com/shop/KV-04S.html

It is hard to tell though, because there are a million chinese ones that look near identical for ~$24 and

Guntec USA for ~$50, which I have, and which I had to repair after an impact with a friend's face. Poor quality cast aluminum. I honestly wonder whether KVAR and Guntec just buy the chinese ones and engrave their names in them.

post-17871-0-54383600-1346029585_thumb.jpg

post-17871-0-49649800-1346029604_thumb.jpg

post-17871-0-52794600-1346029645_thumb.jpg

If you can, get a mount with integral rings instead of weaver base. It will sit lower on your gun and you will be happier with the alignment. It will also save you the money on rings and have less parts to shift.

Thats looks pretty low profile. I like that. Who sells it? CSS?

Look up two posts to the one you quoted, I posted the link. KVAR is a vendor here too. My point is that I think it is a half inch too high for a good cheek weld. For that money, I'd be looking for maybe a belarus made mount with integral rings. They do sit about a half inch lower, and don't have the extra weight and bulk of a rail.

I think the RS Regulate mount is the cleanest option for red dots, but it is pricey.

If you missed that, I was saying I don't think the Guntec USA mount is a good buy. It does hold zero, but I think it has the same materials quality problems you are going to get with the Chinese stuff.

Take a look at Sightmark. inexpensive and plenty good enough for a shotty.

http://www.opticspla...ightmark/cat~20

or an enormous 1x40 Tasco like mine. XD

I just bought the Sightmark SM13001 and I'm VERY pleased with it! VERY small! Only two brightness settings but the second is VERY bright. I bought it from Gander Mountain on sale for $70 and paid $10 for a 2 year extended warranty (even due to accidents).

FYI - I also liked the Bushnell VERY much as a close second. The Bushnell is considerably larger. I bought the Sightmark micro dot for home defense and short range recreational shooting.

I might buy the Bushnell and compare them though on the range because I like the variable brightness and slightly larger viewing area.

I am in the market for an optics. I saw the sightmark online, but it's low price scared me off. Is it just good for the money or how does it compare the more expensive ones?