The new Land cruiser is nice, but not $77,000 nice. I won't be getting one of those. I like the idea of an older land cruiser, but the high mileage on these things is just too scary for me. What about a new 4runner?

Oh and NO mini vans.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sweet, another thread to post Jeep pictures in.....neener neener .....neener....  

and if you own a blue FJ it looks like a damn porta potty or a black one looks like a skunk     but they actually were rated better then the H2, suck ass on the road, and are pigs to drive, but

is hoping for an official saiga-12.com off road off   or at least a heated game of monopoly with lots of yelling

Posted Images

The new Land cruiser is nice, but not $77,000 nice. I won't be getting one of those. I like the idea of an older land cruiser, but the high mileage on these things is just too scary for me. What about a new 4runner?

Oh and NO mini vans.

ALWAYS MAKE SURE TO ASK FOR LIMITED SLIP

some assholes at toyo dealers decided to stop ordering the majority of 4x4s with them at some point.

with LSD = awesome

without = like my dad's and the mother ***** gets stuck, I bought him a TRD rear diff for $800, fixed it, but jeez that pissed us off...

I have had a few jeep XJs and loved them. First one I sold with 230k on it and it was still running like a champ just had a lot of rust on it due to the smokie mountains. I took that thing on some serious off road adventures that often ended with me going through water that was up to the hood and going over rocks in creeks that were as big as my 31x10.50s. Don't let the cheap price and looks of the XJs fool you they can be made into serious off road rigs for cheap. An XJ with 3" lift and 31x10.50s will handle some rough terrain due to the solid axles. Mine had open diffs and I still didn't get it stuck. And as for their durability goes i never ran into any problems with them i couldnt fix myself for cheap. That was the one vehicle that I wish I had never sold. But its ok I think I found another one!

Oops I left out the best part. I had to winch out my buddies land rover discovery one time because he could get it up a muddy hill. In the land rovers defense my buddy was drunk at the time.

Good luck and be sure to show some pics of what you get.

Edited by rogers
  • Like 1

Anyone own a Jeep 4dr with 3 kids? how does that work out for you? Are they pretty safe? I know nothing about Jeeps other than I want one. Thinking about going to the dealer this morning!

1273758950.jpg

My bad, you already made the family! I'm a Jeep guy.

IMG_20101119_140136.jpgDSC02272.jpg

True we made the fam already but we still have practice sessions big_smile.gif . Love the Jeep. Exactly what I'm considering.

Man, your Jeep looks sweet. Wish my Challenger was paid off. I would love to have a unlimited just like yours.

Thanks. Those are old pics. There is more stuff bolted on it today. Some say Jeep means Just Empty Every Pocket. In my experience, this is true but not because of breakage, rather the fact there are so many accessories and upgrades on the market for them.

Anyone own a Jeep 4dr with 3 kids? how does that work out for you? Are they pretty safe? I know nothing about Jeeps other than I want one. Thinking about going to the dealer this morning!T

True we made the fam already but we still have practice sessions big_smile.gif . Love the Jeep. Exactly what I'm considering.

My two boys are grown up but I have hauled three adults in the back seat of mine. They are pretty safe, Electronic Stability Control, Anti-lock brakes, etc. Very capable off road as well in stock form.

I've heard from other people that in their cars (not a Jeep), they had to put the car seat in the middle facing the other direction from the two on the sides. Their kids were the right ages they could do that. Just a suggestion, if you have a lot of trouble with 3 car seats in the back of anything. ;)

So far the Grand Cherokee is what I'm leaning towards. The wife likes the new Durango. It has a third row seat. I am trying to explain the difference between actual 4wdr vs AWD. They are both nice but I like the GC better. We are still on the hunt.

So far the Grand Cherokee is what I'm leaning towards. The wife likes the new Durango. It has a third row seat. I am trying to explain the difference between actual 4wdr vs AWD. They are both nice but I like the GC better. We are still on the hunt.

They're both Chrysler Corp.

They're both Chrysler Corp.

7/70.

Yeah they are pretty much the same vehicle but the GC is a true 4x4. If the Durango was a true 4x4 it would be much easier to decide. I will say that this new Durango is nothing like the turds they were making a few years back. The thing drives super smooth and it comes with a V8 option. Heading to the Chevy dealership next to check out their offerings.

Edited by redfish28

2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4x4, 4.0 six, 4 door. with a 3 in lift. 3 boy's = 13, 10, and 5yr's old piled into the back. A little tight, but they love it. Roof rack helps, with plenty of room in the hatch. 130k and can pull itself out of almost anything. THE BEST 4x4 out there in my opinion.

Oh and NO mini vans.

The new landcruiser is just as pussy as the FJ cruiser. The landcruiser died when they removed the front axles in 1998. Since then they have been a luxury soccer mom SUV.

The 1997 landcruiser has a lot of room for two adults and three kids. It will outlast and outrun any jeep. Stock to stock.

If you want to offroad a Jeep for real, be prepared to spend about 15K in parts. If you are just running hard pan roads and the occasional mud puddle. A stock Jeep will do ya fine.

Remember, you are offroading this vehicle with your family in it. The landcruiser 80 will take more hits and be more dependable with 100K miles on it than a brand new Jeep. You will have more room in it and the maintenance will simple compared to the Jeep.

For around 8K you can find an excellent conditon pre 98 landcruiser that will go for another 200K miles with very little problems. When you smash it up against a rock or tree, you won't cry. When you break something, you can limp out.

Edited by Stryker0946

If you want to offroad a Jeep for real, be prepared to spend about 15K in parts. If you are just running hard pan roads and the occasional mud puddle. A stock Jeep will do ya fine.

15K in parts to "offroad a Jeep for real".....say what?

Yeah I think a Rubicon Jeep is quite off road-able.

Edited by RedChallenger

Yeah I think a Rubicon Jeep is quite off road-able.

So is my Sahara and I don't have $15K in parts. I guarantee it can go anywhere a 97 Landcruiser can.

LSD and LandCruisers = lots of fun! smile.png

Limited Slip gives a false sense of security off road and gives us Jeep guys something to pull out. naaaa.gif

Lockers are the only way to go for anything serious.

LSD and LandCruisers = lots of fun! smile.png

Limited Slip gives a false sense of security off road and gives us Jeep guys something to pull out. naaaa.gif

Lockers are the only way to go for anything serious.

I do not have factory lockers. My axles make your 44's look like toothpicks. I was talking about a different issue of LSD.

Believe what you want, a factory fj80 will kick the ever loving shit out of a factory rubicon any day. I'm not talking trail riding.

Respectfully agree to disagree. smile.png

Edited by Stryker0946

I'm happy with my stock 89 XJ, I have over 240K on it and it keeps chugging along and it has room for car seats for the little people. Only complaint I have is the fuel tank is too small, but I think every one that owns a jeep thinks the gas tanks are too small. An older Grand Cherokee would also be a good option too. I refuse to buy a new GM or Chrysler product ever since they took our tax money

I'm happy with my stock 89 XJ, I have over 240K on it and it keeps chugging along and it has room for car seats for the little people. Only complaint I have is the fuel tank is too small, but I think every one that owns a jeep thinks the gas tanks are too small. An older Grand Cherokee would also be a good option too. I refuse to buy a new GM or Chrysler product ever since they took our tax money

Agreed. Then again I'm a Ford man anyway, gotta support the family!

i dont keep up on jeeps

That is abundantly obviousbad_smile.gif

Thanks, I have no interest in them. I have one friend who offroads a JK. It's well set up. The only thing he could do better now is crawl up large rocks. Toyotas mostly rule the land out here in the rocky mountains. I'm sure Jeeps are just fine for the hills in Ill and the midwest.

Edited by Stryker0946