My AR-10 Lower with MKA-1919 mags...

So since I am still in the buld process on this AR-10 and early on with my MKA-1919 I remember seeing someone saying they were messing with M14 and G3 mags to see if they could be modded to fit 12 gauge and into the MKA-1919

I read that and looked across the room at my lower and said hum, I have a few crap m14 mags, an mka-1919. Why not see what the reverse is. Grabbed a mag and I've seen dead bodies with more play then this mka mag has in my lower...

I'm not saying this is the definitive guide on why this is 100% bullet proof and works souly on this, just pointing it out. Since so many people of wondered why this hasn't happened, I am beginning to wonder myself. I think on M4Carbine.net someone referenced that a modular lower had a 12 gauge option at one point, but no one was interested so design was stopped on uppers. I need to remember to save these links more.

gallery_43075_1050_1998038.jpg

gallery_43075_1050_2449702.jpg

gallery_43075_1050_478215.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Too bad the ar10 lower is missing the feed/guide that is at the front of the akdal lower, you would need that cast in the ar10 lower 80% before trying to make an ar 10 lower work on an akdal

spoiler alert: he's more ambitious than that

Syndicate is (if all goes well) going to make one badass original TRUE AR-style 12 gauge based of the AR-10 design

Hopefully I can get the people lined up to work with on this as they are busy, and with the new travel stuff on my job, should be a shuffle. Got some hurdles and some killer ideas. It might be a LONG play, but I'm set on making a good run at it.

Edited by Syndicate

Two years too late

We built two shotguns with AR10 lowers long ago.

One was a dpms lower with a 20 ga upper piston driven

And a Rock River lower with a 12ga upper also piston driven

Both worked.. and yes 308 mags can be made to function, but a new mag would be required for any real production.

Also feed ramps were not required.

I have had a functional design for a stand alone AR based 12 ga for quite some time, long before the MKA

Every part is machined from bar stock, and it would be quite costly to make, but there is Nothing like it.

Jim

• Like 1

Jim

Great to see you active in this post. Ty,now down to buisness. What's your ETA on your aluminum lower? I know,I know,I know you get this asked all the time.......

Two years too late

Both worked.. and yes 308 mags can be made to function, but a new mag would be required for any real production.

I have had a functional design for a stand alone AR based 12 ga for quite some time, long before the MKA

Every part is machined from bar stock, and it would be quite costly to make, but there is Nothing like it.

Jim

I may take a few to shot show in vegas.

We have had so many things up on the cnc there has been little time to build full blown production fixtures.

Two at a time just wont do it.

I have sent a production packet out to get some quotes, so its wait and see how much ...how long

It wont be very much longer

Jim

• Like 1

Well, shoot. Seeing as how profitable the AR market is, you two should start trying to get AR shotguns out there on the market for production. Thats a toy I'd love to have, especially over the 1919.

I understand thats a lot of $$ to invest in to get that project up and running, but have you tried showing off that DPMS or Rock River shotgun at ShotShow?

for me it would just be getting the design down and getting it up and running, and then looking for someone that has the prowess to either A. pay to make it or B. Sell my design to.

Hearing what Jim has to say, makes me wonder if this venture is one I really want to jump into much farther, I had heard quite a few people have done it and then walked on it because of costs or other issues.

Edited by Syndicate
  • 3 years later...

Two years too late

Jim

pics or it didnt happen!!!

It would be something I'm interested in. I have an AR10 clone and it would be awesome to have a shotgun upper for it.

The ras12 did just that

the error was to make a unique cartridge

The design however would only take a little tweek to work with normal shells, they didnt seem to have a clue about a feed ramp

It would be something I'm interested in. I have an AR10 clone and it would be awesome to have a shotgun upper for it.

The ras12 did just that

the error was to make a unique cartridge

The design however would only take a little tweek to work with normal shells, they didnt seem to have a clue about a feed ramp

Normal 12 ga or normal 20? Frankly 20 would be capable of delivering the payloads most people shoot anyway.

• Like 1

http://www.slickguns.com/search/apachesolr_search/ras%2B12

buuuuuuut, the 10 is heavy, kinda waste to throw 20 in it, save the 20 for ar15 length guns,,,,,,, lighter weight, faster handling, pure seeeeeex!

• 4 weeks later...

Rhino said they were bringing an AR10 based shotgun to market "No later than August", in 2014... so I guess they gave up on the idea too.

I'd be ready to pay a nice sum for a 100% US built AR10 based shotgun that runs.

Edited by gose
  • Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...