Forbes: Unsafe Gun Safes Can Be Opened By A Three-Year Old

With video of a 3y/o boy opening said gun safes.

The more detailed article and more videos: http://www.thesidebar.org/insecurity/?p=793

It's probably not going to be a good day when your security hardware company gets a call from Marc Weber Tobias...

I knew there was a reason for me not owning one of those...... "Cheap" is the operative word. You get what you pay for. I'm not a fan of electronic combination safes, either. A mechanical combination safe with at least 100 ACCURATE number settings and at least 6 or more deadbolts, with the safe in an appropriate area are necessary for semi-security. ANY safe can be broken into.

There is nothing "safe" about a box that can be lifted or carried (especially by a three year old).

For quick access, I own and use 2 R&D Handgun Boxes. They are fabricated from 3/16" plate, the access doors are 1/4" plate, with 3/8" keystock welded to the body for the jam. The bolt is 1 1/2" wide, 1/2" thick and hardened. They weigh 25# each and the box they each came in said "Caution, if you drop me I will break your foot!"

Unfortunately, R&D went out of business some time back. Puzzling, too.

4814-s1.jpg4814-s2.jpg

Edited by 1mile50

You can tell people all day long "Do not go cheap with a gun safe". But rarely does anyone listen. I am very happy with my safe. It's also nice having the peace of mind that when my Niece and Nephew visit they will not get into my Liberty FatBoy.

After spending a lot of time before buying, I cant help but think most of the gun safes on the market couldn't be defeated fairly quick and easy with a sawzall. Most of the attention is made on the door, fire rating has a lot to do with layers of drywall, MOST of the big safes have fairly thin sheetmetal construction that I feel the top,sides, back could be sectioned off with a sawzall and a good metal blade. I've seen a lot of video showing perps trying to pry the door open, I haven't found one showing someone with a metal cutting blade cutting one open and just reaching down inside for the contents.

I'm not sure about what patriot said. I have a large Stack-On. It's pretty damn heavy duty. I recently installed wiring in it for lights and the sheet metal isn't plain sheet metal. It was hell on drills and you'd certainly wear out sawzall blades in a hurry. I broke several good drill bits before I got the hole big enough for the end of the rope light. I don't buy cheap drill bits. That metal is tough. Of course, I agree that ANY safe can be defeated and that where installation is matters a great deal.

Yeoldetool I agree with you. I have a 28 gun stack on safe and it is built like a tank. 3/16 walls bolted to the floor with 6 bolts on the door. It is built in so I don't think it is going anywhere. Anyone that trusts a safe that costs less than 200 dollars like the ones in the article isnt thinking straight in my opinion. Is my stack on as good as a browning safe, probably not. is a three year old getting in to it, definitely not.

This video is very informative.

It also has lots of cussing, so be warned about where you play it.

Many pistol safes can be opened by dropping or slamming them so that the weight of the latch or bolt will retract it.

• Like 1

Yeah slamming or dropping mine is not advisable. I found out that while my locking mechanism moves easily when I have it open, it moves to the locking position when gravity has it's way.

And yes I'm not a big fan of combo safes either. Especially electronic ones. I've heard the electronic ones are actually the easiest to get into for thieves. I'm not gonna go into how as I wish to deny another potential thief out there that knowledge but it's actually kinna easy.

If you're an outside the box thinker. Best thing to ask when buying one is how would I get into it if I were bent on stealing it's contents and how long would it take me?