If it works with the buffer, the buffer can't hurt. If it doesn't work with one don't use it. Mechanical design and maintenance is not about natural, it is about functional.

a bit of trunion contact is normal for AKs, and not necessarily a problem. Is it hitting hard enough to leave galling or deformation? If so, a buffer and/ or a stiffer spring are a good idea.

• Like 1

I simply used the end mill at work to open the trunnion slot where the bolt was contacting. Now the carrier hits the trunnion, not the bolt itself. Amazing what a 16th of an inch will do.

Picking up an XP spring at the show this weekend if they aren't sold out. Seems Winchester and Yugo are hot loads. No smack with Tula and Wolf on my Arsenal.

cheap insurance

Ahhhhhh false.

If you're making serious contact with the trunnion. Why would you want to stick a piece of junk in there to make the contact happen earlier in the rearward movement of the carrier when it is traveling more forcefully?? Either you have an oversized gas port or you need too look into a stronger recoil spring. Fix shit right, a buffer is NEVER the answer.

• Like 4

cheap insurance

Ahhhhhh false.

If you're making serious contact with the trunnion. Why would you want to stick a piece of junk in there to make the contact happen earlier in the rearward movement of the carrier when it is traveling more forcefully?? Either you have an oversized gas port or you need too look into a stronger recoil spring. Fix shit right, a buffer is NEVER the answer.

Exactly..i think ur more likely to do more damage with a buffer..possible messin up the rivits..i threw mine away..still waitin on wolff spring.

here is my thoughts about buffer, stiffer recoil spring - it's a answer to a problem that doesn't exist. all AK bolt carriers hit the trunnion, all you are doing is throwing your money away on useless products, and making whoever sells them happy.

I have a MAADI ARM I bought in 95, and put thousand and thousands of rounds through it, way over 10 K, and there is zero indication that anything is wrong with the rear trunnion or loose rivets etc...

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

Buffers are so cheap and easy to install, there is no real reason not to try one. Some guns do not like them. Some guns only run right with one. If the stacking tolerances in your gun allow the carrier to try jumping the rails, a buffer will stop that nonsense.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

If the stacking tolerances in your gun allow the carrier to try jumping the rails, a buffer will stop that nonsense.

This is the case in my STG2003c. At the rearmost position, the carrier pops up and off the rail on the left side. It usually stops the carrier from returning to battery. A 1/4" buffer would prevent this as the carrier would not reach the end of the rail.