First Saiga 12 Build - Part list?

Hey there!

Looking to do a custom Saiga 12 build. Beyond the Saiga itself, I believe I have all the parts I need. Anything missing that you all can see?

• BASIC CONVERSION KIT SAIGA 12 TRIGGER KIT (BLACK, CAROLINA SS)
  • CHARGING HANDLE-TROMIX EXTENDED BOLT ON HANDLE
  • SAIGA 12 TROMIX "MONSTER" BRAKE
  • JTE Performance Power Hammer Spring /Main Spring for All Saiga and AK variants
  • SAIGA 12RELIABILITY KIT (DPH ARMS)
  • BOLT HOLD OPEN LEVER KIT SAIGA 12-MODIFIED
  • EXTENDED MAGAZINE RELEASE SAIGA 12
  • JTE MAGAZINE GUIDE "ROCK-N-LOCK"
  • RECOIL BUFFER-SAIGA SHOTGUNS, RIFLES, AK47

I plan to use a Chaos Titan quad rail with HK sights. Only thing I haven't made up my mind about is a stock system yet. Beyond the stock, is there anything I'm missing? Anything that conflicts? I'm new to the Saiga - I'm a big time HK guy and this all seems a bit foreign to me. Any help you can lend would be fantastic.

Sam

Edited by firegs

I hope you didnt buy all that yet. (I got excited too and madr that mistake)

First thing you should do is see how it runs, buy some low brass walmart crap and see if they fte.

The reason i say that is you may not need everything you have on the list, and if your gun isnt converted uet its still under warenty if its not running right.

If your gun runs great then check out tje conversion videos at carolinashootersupply.com. they were very helpful when i did mine

As for the rock and lock, i have it on my gun and honestly i dont think it helps much at all.

Sounds good - Buy the gun first and run it to make sure it works. That's step one.

Next step, IF it FTE, what next? Send it back? What would I try to do to fix the FTE? Is that what the reliability kit is for? Even if it runs right, could it hurt to use it?

Next, nix the rock n lock. Got it.

Then, for 922 compliance, does my buttstock (TBD), pistol grip, forearm (Chaos Titan), Mag body, follower and floorplate count for 922? (thinking like a US made drum).

After that, I think I'm good to go?

Edited by firegs

And if I'm reading the stickies right, it looks like there is welding involved with the conversion process. Is that true? My smith cannot do welding. If theres a method of converting without welding, any points in that direction would be great (part wise).

Sam

Get the FCG retaining plate and modified bolt hold open lever for convenience when you have to tear it down.

I like having my bolt polished, as I can load full mags on a closed bolt and it feels better. I have the RocknLock and I find it helps loading a mag.

I don'y know if the original trigger will work without major mods. Do the US trigger group because that's three easy parts for compliance.

My goal was compliance without magazines.......

No welding needed for the conversion - or the Chaos HK sights - there are other HK sights that require welding, but the Chaos HK sights were made to fit on any of the Chaos top rails. I have both the Titan and the HK sights, and love both. Do take note - I've had to do quite a bit of work on my Chaos Titan to get it to fit properly. It is CRITICAL that you use loctite on ALL of the screws on your Chaos rail BEFORE YOU FIRE with the rail mounted. This includes the structural screws that hold the rail together, not just the screws to mount it. Also, take note of the set screw at the rear of the handguard on the bottom that pushes against your barrel. This will help further stabilize the rail during firing. I broke four screws trying to figure out what was going on with the mounting of the rail until I figured out that set screw really helps.

Be weary of "reliability kits." They are a blanket solution that isn't perfect for every gun. Ensure your gun has the appropriate amount of gas ports for your model year and that they are they correct size. I'd also recommend seeing if you can get the weapon to cycle successfully in factory condition before you have your gunsmith convert it - that way you know it works before you mess with it and you know it won't be an issue with your gunsmith if it won't cycle after the conversion.