Hey all, I don't post too often but I couldn't hold it in any longer. I love these damn Saigas! I joined the Saiga cult at a local gun show when I purchased an unconverted Saiga 12 gauge last summer. Since converting it and customizing, I used it to go deer hunting and took two nice sized does. After that, I had to have another Saige type rifle!

I set my eyes on a Saiga 308 and pulled the trigger on a 21" for $550 on gunbroker. I always liked the Dragunov marksman rifle and decided to dress my new rifle like it, a "Saiganov" if I may.

Saiga 308

Shes getting there. She has an Arsenal 2-stage trigger from Dinzag, Black Horse Arsenal SVD style buttstock, VariPOSP 4-10x scope, Versa-pod detachable bipod with mini-14 adapter, and JTE performance hammer spring. I only wish there was an available way to fix a dragunov style handguard. I want to make her feel pretty. I also plan to thread the barrel at some point.

Saiga 308

I took her to the range today, to try out some new 168gr. Federal Gold Match bullets that I have read on this forum do pretty well. I sighted it in at 100 yards, then moved it up to 200, and lastly 300. I didn't take any pictures of the first 2, there was just too many holes in them and I didn't have enough time to re-staple some new targets. I usually shoot 150gr. Tula steel cased ammo out of it, and the groupings are actually about the same. I can usually get about 1"-1.5" if I take my time and use sandbags at 100 yards. I am quite content with that.

300 yard target

• Like 2

I originally got into Saigas for the 12, but got intrigued with the 308. After converting my 308, it became my favorite immediately. I was hitting steel out at 100yards 100% with the iron sights and not understanding how I had never been able to do this before and how I suddenly could now. It looks awesome, and I shoot it better than any other long gun I have ever tried now.

I enjoy mine as well, nothing like hitting a 1 foot round steel plate at 300 yrds.

I agree completely. Shooting paper is nice and all, but hearing that register of metal on metal with a second delay in the sound is SO much better. I welded 3 swinging 12" plates in 1/2 inch steel and always set them up on the range. Other people at the range only bring paper and when I put up my steel gongs I can see the jealousy in their faces. Then I become the awesome nice guy and allow them to hit my plates if they want. So long as it ain't bigger then my 308.

I originally got into Saigas for the 12, but got intrigued with the 308. After converting my 308, it became my favorite immediately. I was hitting steel out at 100yards 100% with the iron sights and not understanding how I had never been able to do this before and how I suddenly could now. It looks awesome, and I shoot it better than any other long gun I have ever tried now.

I hear so much flak about AK style sights, but personally I love them and the irons especially on the 308 are spot on. Maybe cause I'm still young and have good eyes, maybe I'll change my mind in 20 years.

I hear so much flak about AK style sights, but personally I love them and the irons especially on the 308 are spot on. Maybe cause I'm still young and have good eyes, maybe I'll change my mind in 20 years.

Yes you will, I am 50 plus and I HAVE to use a scope.

I'm 25 and have decent vision and irons tend to make me dizzy, I just can't keep focused on the target or the irons. Scopes or red dots are my thing.

I'm also loving my converted .308 Saiga. I was lucky enough to get to take it to the range today.

It felt really good to put pinkie-diameter holes through 3/8" steel.

There's no way I would consider my AR-15 for my MBR at this point. red_heart.gif

Edited by BBQ_Pork
  • Like 1

The 308 is my favorite

I'll second that.

Hey Red, have you tried a good red dot? They work pretty good too.

I'm 25 and have decent vision and irons tend to make me dizzy, I just can't keep focused on the target or the irons. Scopes or red dots are my thing.

You've accomplished a lot for that age. Hell, I can't even remember if I was potty trained at 25.

I'm 26, GIT OFF MY LAWN!