Bayo/Cleaning Rod & 74 Brake option with Factory Threads???

Hey guys. I've been searching and haven't found anything as far as a solid answer on what I'm thinking about doing. I'm about to start the conversion so I cut the barrel shroud off to see if it is factory threaded (it is). Once I saw the threads, I decided that I wanted to use them instead of cover them with a Bulg FSB/24mm threaded shroud combo, however, if I want to use a 74 brake with a bayo/cleaning rod combo, it appears that this is my only option if I'd like the muzzle brake to butt up against the FSB and be able to use a standard size detent.

I say this because it appears all of the AKM, AK74, and Bulg FSB's without the threaded shroud combo (and all the others I've seen or think I've seen, getting delirious at this point haha) either don't have a lug or they have the lug/a protrusion on the front of the sight block (muzzle side) instead of the back side of the sight block (receiver side). It looks like for the slant brake that the more forward placed lug is fine since it's only the cleaning rod holder and the bayo is secured with the GB? Also, the pin locations for some of the FSB's without the combo shroud are on the top of the barrel instead of the bottom, which wouldn't be a huge deal, but it'd be nice to be able to reuse the existing pin locations. I've looked on vendors websites as well as other sites and places mentioned in various threads that I found here while I was trying to gather all of the products and options, but have not seen what looks like a FSB, only, with bayo/rod lug that would work out length wise with a 74 brake. I don't have a bayo or any parts to measure to see what would and would not actually work though so all of this is based off of picture analysis (be gentle).

Has anyone done this without covering up their factory threads?

Do I have any options besides running the combo FSB/shroud or besides buying one and then cutting off the threaded shroud portion and running a 14-24mm adapter to maintain use of the original threads if I ever wanted?

Just to make sure, with a Bulgarian GB and I'm assuming I'll have to go with the Bulgarian FSB as well, would the Bulgarian cleaning rod also be the correct way to go as far as length and secure fit?

Here are some pictures from a vendor as well as a random google pic to try and show what I'm talking about.

FSB without lug or shroud

AK-333.jpg

Random Google Image (apologies) of forward positioned lug/holder

FSB/24mm threaded shroud combo with lug on receiver side

AK-167B.jpg

I'm a newb with the various AK variants and parts, so trying to get this conversion done the way I want it and without too much of a hitch the first time around. TIA

If you're going to change the sight block, I'd go ahead with the Bulgarian 24mm threaded FSB and cover the factory threads. Seems easier than trying to mix/match but I haven't done any of this yet. This is just what makes sense to me. Or... You could go M-10 style and use a FSB/GB combo, leave the barrel full length, and attach a muzzle device to the factory threads.

Or... Go this route.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/AK-142R.html

Yea, but going M-10 wouldn't let me run a bayo/cleaning rod. And as for the FSB with threads/GB combo, i'd have to have a hell of a long gas tube for that to work.

I guess the only choice is to get the bulg fsb with threads and either hack it up or just cover the factory threads and let it be.. oh well..

Mine isn't threaded and I'm seeking a similar setup. I'm going with the regular handguard retainer, Bulgarian gas block and Bulgarian 24x1.5mm FSB. Expensive but seems the only route to get where I want to be with my rifle. Since I already have a bolt on HG retainer, I'm thinking maybe I should just continue to use it and just go with the FSB to save money....

Mine isn't threaded and I'm seeking a similar setup. I'm going with the regular handguard retainer, Bulgarian gas block and Bulgarian 24x1.5mm FSB. Expensive but seems the only route to get where I want to be with my rifle. Since I already have a bolt on HG retainer, I'm thinking maybe I should just continue to use it and just go with the FSB to save money....

Yea, so you don't have the dilemma of whether to save the factory threads or not.. Haha

You'd be good to just buy the Bulg FSB with threads and the GB with lug and rolling on with it.

So you've been using the bolt on HG retainer so far? How do you like it? Whered you pic it up at? What makes you want to go with slide/press on model instead?

I've been using it for a year or more with no movement or problems. My reasoning is that I wanted a factory type retainer and the gas block has to come off and be replaced for that.

I like it. It functions as its supposed to. I have the aluminum one from CSS. If I just change out the FSB I should be able to mount the cleaning rod too. I have it disassembled right now. I'm going to completely clean/degrease, refinish. After I change at least the FSB that is.

• 2 weeks later...