Bolt Carriers now on Sale!

R&R is now offering their US made bolt carriers for $280. These improved Saiga 12 bolt carriers will be available with left or right side charging handles and will include a full lenght gas piston rod to fit stock Saiga shotguns. If you order the left side charging handle you will need to cut your dust cover to fit or R&R will cut and return ship it to you for an additional $20. Call Robert at 503-551-7283 to order or go to our website: http://randrtargets.com/site/products-page/saiga-parts/rr-bolt-carrier-us-made/

The first 20 bolt carriers should be ready to ship in about 2 weeks and we expect them to sell out fast.

Doug

• Like 2
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure at this time. He's busy now finishing a US made Saiga prototype.   Doug

Bolts are in the works!   Doug

R&R is now offering their US made bolt carriers for $280. These improved Saiga 12 bolt carriers will be available with left or right side charging handles and will include a full lenght gas pisto

Posted Images

is this an introductory price for the 1st 20 or the set price that they all will go for? meaning will the get cheaper or more expensive or stay the same after this first 20?

any deals for loyal forum members?

is this an introductory price for the 1st 20 or the set price that they all will go for? meaning will the get cheaper or more expensive or stay the same after this first 20?

any deals for loyal forum members?

That is the price for the first 20. Pricing may change depending on the number of carriers that R&R makes. Volume will tend to reduce the cost per item but that is an unknown as of now. These are expensive to manufacture and they are essentially a custom part right now.

Doug

• Like 2

Are these going to be ambidextrous in later runs

They are ambidextrous now, but the charging handles are slightly different lengths for each side. You may pick the side you want your charging handle on and it will be included in the price. You could have one on each side for a few bucks more but only one guy I know runs one that way and he is a lefty.

Doug

It seems like for this to be successful to the point where you can ramp up production and lower price, it's going to take some serious marketing.

$280 is steep for right now, which I understand it's basically a custom part that the only alternative to is buying a new shotgun, I just hope the idea won't be dead-in-the-water because the first 20 moved slowly due to a higher price.

The CNC time required to make this part is the killer. The bolt carrier is fairly complex and requires machining, hardening, coating, installation of the charging handle and op rod. A JP Enterprises AR-15 bolt carrier, of which thousands have been made over the last 10 years and does not include a charging handle, sells for $199.95. We hoped to have the Saiga carriers sell for $200 to $225, but as a business it you can't make products and sell them for a loss. The extra $55 over the inital estimate is unfortunate but necessary.

Doug

The CNC time required to make this part is the killer. The bolt carrier is fairly complex and requires machining, hardening, coating, installation of the charging handle and op rod. A JP Enterprises AR-15 bolt carrier, of which thousands have been made over the last 10 years and does not include a charging handle, sells for $199.95. We hoped to have the Saiga carriers sell for $200 to $225, but as a business it you can't make products and sell them for a loss. The extra $55 over the inital estimate is unfortunate but necessary.

Doug

I understand, and make no mistake: What you've done here for the platform is a huge milestone. I just hope the sales will allow you guys to kick these into full-swing production. Out of curiosity, how do these compare with re-profiled carriers such as Pauly's work?

• Like 1

I don't think you can compare them. The R&R is a new part milled from billet stock and the other is a reworked original part. R&R's carrier is milled using CNC machines with improvements to the design based on feedback from known failures. No amount of polishing will add material to failure prone areas. You will also see that the US made product has a better finish than its Russian counterpart.

Doug

• 2 months later...

Could you post or send pics of side by side to show improvements and advantages.

I was planning on doing that, Robert should be back from Hungary soon and has promised me some photos to post. I'll get them up ASAP.

Doug

Could you post or send pics of side by side to show improvements and advantages.

I was planning on doing that, Robert should be back from Hungary soon and has promised me some photos to post. I'll get them up ASAP.

Doug

Thank you

Here are some photos of the production R&R bolt carriers with a stock Russian Saiga bolt carrier for comparison. The R&R carrier has the right side bolt handle installed but can have the bolt handle installed on either side.

Doug

post-22191-0-07023200-1349663476_thumb.jpg

post-22191-0-40537900-1349663451_thumb.jpg

post-22191-0-30910700-1349663434_thumb.jpg

post-22191-0-09655400-1349663418_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
It's good to see these are being made, especially by R&R.

One question.

Can you load a full mag on a closed bolt?

I'm going to buy it regardless! I just have to ask.

The R&R bolt carrier will perform the same as a stock Saiga carrier in that regard. If you were unable to insert a full mag with the stock carrier you will still not be able to load one with the R&R carrier. Having the bolt profiled is more important and we try not to cut up the bolt carriers on R&R guns. The R&R magwell makes it so that we can load full mags on a closed bolt.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Two questions, maybe not polished, but is there any chance that there might be a model that isn't painted black..something like just a flat or brushed metal? And possibly any talk of coming with shorter op rods for cut gas systems?

Two questions, maybe not polished, but is there any chance that there might be a model that isn't painted black..something like just a flat or brushed metal? And possibly any talk of coming with shorter op rods for cut gas systems?

The carriers are done in batches with black oxide coating. Since they are not stainless, they need some type of coating, or a coating of oil. R&R specializes in shortened gas systems and will set up a carrier with any lenth op rod that you need. Just let Robert know what length you want when you order.

Doug

What about chrome plating the carrier and the bolt itself rather than polishing them? Seems like it would be cheaper to batch plate them than to have them polished by someone.

Are these hardened?

Dolomite

You can put what ever coating on the carrier that you want. If I was going to coat mine I would go with IonBond or hard chrome. The carrier on my first R&R Saiga has IonBond and it has held up very well over the past 5 years. You can get this done at a specialty shop like Springer Precision. Yes, the carriers are hardened.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...