i was just checking on some of my stuff, and i noticed that my 9mm 3.8 xdm with the stainless slide is .. rusting. WTF? i has to check it twice to believe it. i'm getting rust spots along the slide serrations, small right now, but i've worked around stainless for the last ten years, and i've never seen stainless rust unless it was in a horrible environment after a few years of exposure. this pistol is about a year old, and get ready for this, has NEVER been fired (long story). I plan to call my local gun shop and see about what i can do, but in the meantime, has anyone else experienced this? i know there's more then a few xdm shooters out there.

i did clean it up a bit, but most of the marks remain. my stuff is kept in a VERY low humidity environment and i have dessicant as well.

thanks for your help

edit: i tried to take pictures, but the flash off of stainless is a real bitch. i'll try again this weekend

Edited by fatty alcohol

Was this something you carried at all? Humidity and sweat are playing two different games, the salinity and acidity of the humidity a human body makes is both varying person to person, and much more corrosive than humidity typically found in areas not close to salt water bodies. Despite this we still would expect the metal not to rust, but I've seen it happen in a number of different handguns by different makers. Hk and Glock have great finishes, M&P, Sigs and a good amount of others are descent but can rust when carried daily even if taken care of somewhat regularly.

What type of oil do you use on said rust areas? Surface rust is something that should be correctable with most CLPs and some elbow grease. Like Xdamagedx said call springfield, its their fault not the store's

I remember there was a batch of M&P's that had bad rust problems, due to a mistake in the finishing process. Might be the same thing with your XD.

Definitely have Springfield deal with it. Most likely, if you go to your shop, they're just going to deal with Springfield anyway. So you might as well cut out the middle man.

• Like 1

"Stainless" is a relative term. I've had the "horrible environment" of a commercial fishing boat, and no cleaning unless I did it. all stainless will stain on the boat, but not all pit. So far newer 10/22s pit on the barrel once there is a nick in the surface coating, the aluminum pits from the get go. Ruger sp101 is a different blend. It stains, but does not pit. steel parts rust of course. Stainless S&W .357s look great after 20 years, but steel sights, etc get rough. Smithin and wesson Marine police 12g pump looks like new after aprox 30 years less dings, and rust on stainless vent rib about like you described on your XDM. Winchester Stainless police marine 12g Fails. Barrel looked brand new, except for very rusty steel sights, receiver just crumbling with corrosion due to horrible metalurgy. No longer safe to use. AMT lightning 10/22 clone looking better than the rugers after 30 + years. The barrel was worn out, and firing pins, some pitting on outside of the barrel. Receiver and internals are stainless. Ruger has mostly blued parts inside their "stainless" guns, and aluminum receivers. Receiver, pins, etc. Look like new in the AMT.

Oh. and stainless Tech 9? No rust at all, but still a lousy gun.

Edited by GunFun

thanks for the info guys

none of the pics i took worked out. i suck at photography. i'm just going to contact springfield myself, who in turn, will probably want a picture. it the slide, so i shouldn't need to deal with an ffl, right?

@ tare- never carried it. bought it, checked it, set it in a safe dessicated (?) environment, and didn't look at it for a year. (long story) thats mostly what i find so amazing.

@gunfun- i didn't know there was such a wide disrepancy in how firearms, especially marine rated firearms, reacted to a saltwater environment, but thanks for ruining it, a stainless tec 9 was next on my buy listhaha.gif but only if i could bling it out a bit

• Like 1

@gunfun- i didn't know there was such a wide disrepancy in how firearms, especially marine rated firearms, reacted to a saltwater environment, but thanks for ruining it, a stainless tec 9 was next on my buy listhaha.gif but only if i could bling it out a bit

I thought a Tech 9 counted as bling just by itself. It's the firearm equivalent of Flava-Flav's necklace.

• Like 1