id go with the original design. its the foundation from what all others are based off of now days. pretty much set the standard.

Of them, do you have an opinion as to which would be the best option for a Saiga IZ 340. I saw that SCSS has one that lists the IZ 340 by name, but read elsewhere that a guy had a really hard time getting it to seat properly, ended up doing work on it to get it to fit.

Yeah I saw that one, looks like a great product, but I dont know about spending 100 on a muzzle device. Also, Im in CA and the muzzle device to flash hider line is right where the dynacomp sits. Going into LEO work I cant afford to have it tip into the illegal area.

I would love a battlecomp but its the same story.

Edited by janus408

well if it were me, and i dont know your local laws, id try to find an actual russian brake, or a bulgy one. ive seen lots of these newer ones coming out and ive seen lots of videos of comparisons on them vs. a russian one, but to be honest, i dont see the difference, nor do i think the shooter will for that matter. and thats why i feel the original HAS set the standard.

but to better answer your question, there are several different designs of these that the russians used. they are as follows:

1. Half moon one piece (found on pre-production models usually)

2. Zig-Zag one piece found on mid '79-early '83 models

3. Two-piece smooth collar (arrowhead pattern) '83-'89 models

4. Modified two-piece with a smooth contstruction found from the late '80s

5. the modern extended collar two-piece.

they all perform the same basic task, but some of these are harder to find than others. and some of them have been exported and reproduced by other nations and others not. but the ones that i found that work great, are # 2 and 3. i have both and i also have a modern one that is very nice as well. i cant tell a difference between them, but the zig zag brake seems to work better than the modern arsenal offering. (at least to me).

but what i would look for would be the length. many copies may look like them, but wont perform the same. the overal length will help with burning up excess gas better than the shorter ones you see on the market and help reduce the flash signature. also try to find one that is chrome lined to aid in corrosive shooting sessions. just try to keep in mind that just cuz it looks badass dont mean it will function worth a shit.

i like the look of a badass brake, but its useless if it wont perfrom. id rather take an ugly one that performs over one that dont anyday.

Here's a pretty cool article......................http://k-var.com/sho.../article01.html

good read! Thank you for all the info guys. I found a guy selling a 24mm Bulgarian Zigzag brake I think I am going to buy for my IZ 340. Am I good to go with that brake, or am I going to have to modify anything? I have read about guys trying to mount 24mm brakes and needing to alter the FSB threading because the brake wont seat all the way down on it (FSB threads still exposed after screwing it all the way on).

Found it local for $25 and dont think I can pass it up either way...

i dont think that would even be necessary. my sgl has minor fitting issues when using an older brake. its only the short collar bakes that do this, as the FSB is actually a modern '74m style made for the longer collar modern ones. you shouldnt have any issues with it, even if it does have play.

Edited by Captain Hero