I shipped my long guns to Tromix through USPS (PA to OK). I stated that they were long guns going to an FFL and insured them properly without a problem.

(ALSO Here in PA you can ship long guns "private owner" to "private owner" within the state USPS)

DO NOT label the outside of the box "firearm" or anything else that would allow someone to know the contents (a dishonest trucker or some other postal member could be tempted to steal)

I just shipped to a gunsmith as noted below, '2 Day' service with 2K insurance for less than $50.

Ship via UPS,

Ship using either '2 Day Air' or 'Overnight', for fastest service and less chance of theft/damage in transit.

Must ship with 'Delivery Confirmation- Adult Signature Required'.

Be sure to fully insure... Heck, over insure it, things aren't getting any cheaper.

Package well, with no labeling referring to firearms. I went so far as to address it to an individual's name rather than the business, which could be connected with firearms.

If shipping out of state, it is sometimes good to have a copy of the smith's FFL, sometimes they ask for it.

If the shipping clerk INSISTS that all firearms must ship overnight, ask them to read their rules or ask for a manager... Only handguns must ship Overnight.

You may need to ship directly from a UPS Customer Center.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html?srch_pos=1&srch_phr=firearms

Only thing about "over insuring".......you have to prove what the item is worth, if you happen to need to collect on it

Not a problem... I keep all my receipts... Amazing what was custom on that firearm.

I just shipped to a gunsmith as noted below, '2 Day' service with 2K insurance for less than $50.

Ship via UPS,

Ship using either '2 Day Air' or 'Overnight', for fastest service and less chance of theft/damage in transit.

Must ship with 'Delivery Confirmation- Adult Signature Required'.

Be sure to fully insure... Heck, over insure it, things aren't getting any cheaper.

Package well, with no labeling referring to firearms. I went so far as to address it to an individual's name rather than the business, which could be connected with firearms.

If shipping out of state, it is sometimes good to have a copy of the smith's FFL, sometimes they ask for it.

If the shipping clerk INSISTS that all firearms must ship overnight, ask them to read their rules or ask for a manager... Only handguns must ship Overnight.

You may need to ship directly from a UPS Customer Center.

http://www.ups.com/c...ch_phr=firearms

So you stated you were shipping a rifle? Did you go in with it already boxed up, or was it shipped in a rifle case?

The smith sent me a copy of his FFL, so I'm not particularly concerned.

I'm slightly confused (and partially curious), as to what might happen if you don't declare it a firearm, and it is later inspected - by some means - and found to be an article that is, in FedEx's policy, one that is supposed to be declared. However I see that UPS only requires it be declared if shipping a handgun. So I'm thinking UPS, 2-day service, machine parts..Sound good?

• 2 weeks later...

I shipped my saiga 12 barreled receiver across the US to get engraved for my sbs. I had to go to a ups customer center (The UPS Store will NOT ship a firearm) which you can search for your closest via their website. I told them it was a firearm going to a gunsmith for work. Outer box wasn't labeled with anything indicating it was a firearm, other than name and address of the smith. They told me usually they want to see the ffl info for the intended address unless it's a well known place like Remington, etc. I had it insured for the full cost of a new gun. I had no issues and the smith had the gun shipped to my house with signature required when they were through.