anyone chop there S12 to 18in

I have done a few and feel that it is worth it. Every little inch counts.... even if it is an inch less. Shorter and lighter is faster....

Those guys with little one (see his avatar) always say every inch counts.haha.gif Sorry Evl I had to be that guy it was to good of a setup I had to knock it out of the park. LOL PLUS you get to watch this new sig.

Edited by SCHULTZE
  • Like 1

I have done a few and feel that it is worth it. Every little inch counts.... even if it is an inch less. Shorter and lighter is faster....

Those guys with little one (see his avatar) always say every inch counts.haha.gif Sorry Evl I had to be that guy it was to good of a setup I had to knock it out of the park. LOL

My little thing will fit in some tight spots ;)

• Like 1

you live in Pa. which will let you have a short barrel shotgun (SBS), it isn't even worth the effort to take a inch off.

just form 1 it and cut it down to 13 inches, with that length you won't have to screw around with making the gas port larger.

cut it down to 13 inches, with that length you won't have to screw around with making the gas port larger.......Do What?

• Like 1

you live in Pa. which will let you have a short barrel shotgun (SBS), it isn't even worth the effort to take a inch off.

just form 1 it and cut it down to 13 inches, with that length you won't have to screw around with making the gas port larger.

cut it down to 13 inches, with that length you won't have to screw around with making the gas port larger.......Do What?

I have to agree. These things are so 'individual' that I can't see cutting just any Saiga 12 down from 19 to 13" and it running fine without the need to compensate for the reduced dwell time, be it by increasing the port surface area or otherwise. It may work for some or many, but I doubt it will work for all. One S12 may be well beyond reliable and another may be on the ragged edge of barely being reliable, so it is unreasonable to expect them to run the same after reducing the dwell time about 60%. Please understand that this statement is about 'low brass' reliability.

Besides, it is stupid-easy to add or increase ports if you have basic tools and some decent drill bits.

After building a dozen or so 8" s12's for my personal collection I've only built 2 SBS's without relocating the gas system

These are 14.5" length barrels and they did need work to cycle bulk pack WallMarx ammo

Even cutting 1" usually creates the need to tune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RcRyhtrLl8

Edited by RamLake

It's not unusual to chop the barrel and then permanently affix a brake so the total barrel length is 18.25". Yeah, yeah, I know, by a licensed gunsmith.

That's what I did, I didn't care for 19" plus the brake

N_S12_006.JPG

N-S12-Clays_003.JPG

Z

• Like 1

After building a dozen or so 8" s12's for my personal collection I've only built 2 SBS's without relocating the gas system

These are 14.5" length barrels and they did need work to cycle bulk pack WallMarx ammo

if thats the case then im not touching mine for a gain of one inch cause it has eatin over 500rds rounds in two months that have stuffed into her so far with out one issue straight out of the box..even cheap wally world stuff

if thats the case then im not touching mine for a gain of one inch cause it has eatin over 500rds rounds in two months that have stuffed into her so far with out one issue straight out of the box..even cheap wally world stuff

I can't speak for RamLake, but I think he was referring to a weapon that is bone stock. I have cut a few to 18" and they all ran the same afterwards. They had already passed my baseline test of 100 rounds of Winchester Universal in MD-20 drums. 1" is not make or break if the weapon has been properly refined already.