Saiga 20 Convert

I've been a Saiga 12 owner since RAAC first imported them. I have an early Tromix build. But I the lack of a rugged steel magazine has been a sore point for me, and my 12s have seen little range time in recent years because of that.

Then, recently, I discovered Csspec's steel magazines! I went hog wild and bought a bunch of them for my new VEPR 308 (different thread). They are great by the way. Expensive, but what do you expect for a limited run/niche market item.

Anyway, I noticed that he had steel 20 guage magazines, and (like most everyone, HINT HINT) lamented the fact that they weren't 12 guage mags. But that got me to thinking, why not get a Saiga 20 and enjoy that, and sell off my Tromix Saiga to fund everything. (Don't bother with the PMs. I'm selling it to a friend, so that I can keep on shooting it, if I want.)

So I bought a stock Saiga 20 and did THIS:

ba818fd0.jpg

It's a simple build that includes:

CSS Conversion Kit

Tapco Buttstock

Tapco G2 trigger, disconnecter, hammer - modified

Tapco Saw Grip

Round stamped trigger guard

CSS gas puck

MD Arms gas plug

Ram extended magazine release

Tapco forearm

Magpul Angled foregrip

Csspecs 8 round and 10 round (pictured) magazine

Saiga 12 BHO (in place of factory Saiga 20 BHO)

Blackjack recoil buffer

The conversion was straight forward, and took an evening, except for the magazine release. The previous owner had modified the original mag release, until it barely worked, so I had no accurate part to base the fitting for the new release. So I over worked the first mag catch. Fortunately (through past experience) I had ordered a spare.

So basically, I had to fit the mag release, before I fitted the Csspecs mags. Not fun. After getting a good fit on the release, then the first mag, I came up with a variation on Csspecs fitting instructions. Instead of a flat grind from the tip of the back tab to the magazine body, the grind should be slightly concave, and stop about 2mm short of the magazine body.

7c1be1ac.jpg

Not the best picture, but it should help those understand what I am talking about. This grind approach makes it harder for the mag release to fully swing forward, making the mag harder to release. Of course, use this technique at your own risk.

Anyway, now I have to wait until outdoor temperatures return so sane levels, so I can shoot this fun gun.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...