Looking for a Bolt Hold Open Latch for a SAIGA 7.62x39

One is the bolt hold open that is located inside the receiver that automatically holds the bolt open after the last shot is fired and the other (using the safety lever) is a modification to the external safety lever that can be adapted to holding the bolt open by cutting a notch in the lever and manually catching the bolt in the notch.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Otis Shepard

I agree with the description of the notched safety lever, but the factory internal BHO does not automatically hold the bolt open. It is finger actuated and ia also manually operated. The only auto BHO I am aware of is magazine related.

Did yours originally have one? If not, I believe you'll have to do a bit of modification to your hammer, I'm sure someone will jump in here and correct me if I'm wrong. I left mine off when I did the conversion, plan on modding the safety lever.

I don't think a S12 BHO lever will work with a rifle. The S12 bolt is held much farther back than the rifle. It might not fit in a rifle. I'll check later.

BHO are valuable. Extra work needs to be done to make them worthy. Hammer has to be grinded down. The lip of the lever should be filed to have more of an aggressive cut that holds/catches the leg of the spring. The "button" part of the lever has to be shortened. Then the whole thing refinished.

Some find that work easy and no big deal.

The value I've gotten out of them is holding the bolt open to cool down the barrel faster than having the bolt closed.

I purchased a converted Saiga so the factory BHO lever had been removed. I shoot left handed so I don't think the factory lever would get in my way as much. If anyone wants to get rid of they're factory BHO parts let me know. I'll gladly pay any shipping costs.

My S12 did not come with a BHO. I cut a notch in the safety lever and use it to hold open the bolt. I think the gun cools off faster after extended firing sessions and I like the bolt open for safety reasons ( bolt back, safety on) when it is laying on the bench. I did the same notch on all my non-Saiga AK rifles. Easy and cheap

100_0005.jpg

Edited by mac66
  • 3 weeks later...

That can happen if you cut it too short. I mark mine before I remove it from the unconverted rifle and make sure I leave enough material so that this can't happen. Never been a problem for me and I end up with the BHO feature that does not cause a problem with my trigger finger.

Works for me but may or may not be to your liking.