need new iron sights

i can find front iron sight posts all day long but when i search for dovetailed rear iron sights i cant find shit. i dont like the krebs or hk style. i saw a pic with a glock rear sight on it. it didnt look too bad.

am i not searching for the right thing? i just want to knock out this rear sight so bad i cant stand it. i dont care if it doesn't fit i can grind, drill, tap, whatever. i just cant aford a decent red dot yet and i would like to be able to shoot clays

any ideas? any thing i should try searching for? thanks for help.

havent seen css's yet. i mean i absolutly cant find anything. and its pissin me off cause i could really knock out that rear sight and i want to so bad and put it on train tracks in front of my house.

i wouldnt mind goin with the glock rear but does anyone know if all glocks have the same size rear?

Found a fixed rear sight at brownells.com

Fits nominal 3⁄8" (9.5mm) dovetail

#579-000-165AH

Hope this helps, Castalia

The second is a front sight that could be adapted by removing the post and just using the ring. Kinda pricey though. #100-002-383AH

Fits 3⁄8” (9.5mm), 60° dovetail.

post-35033-0-97882100-1344289190.jpg

post-35033-0-58346100-1344289396.jpg

Edited by Castalia
  • Like 1

Is anyone sure that the sight pictured above will fit the s-12 dovetail? I've got a Chaos extend rail on mine but I am always looking for ideas for my next lightweight build. I'm thinking this rear with a fiber optic front replacing the bead would be easy. Is there such thing as a slip over bead FO sight that anyone is aware of? Thanks!

I havent looked it up but i'm doubtful it is made for an S12 specifically.

It could be a universal file to fit piece, or (i dont know the answer) there is a standard dovetail size in the industry much like a 1913 rail.

The above sights fit a nominal 3/8" dovetail.

There is a slip over sight made by XS sight systems. It is # 006-000-160AE from Brownells.

I do not know what the thread size of a Saiga front bead is.

Highly visible, tritium dot front sight surrounded by a large white ring epoxies over the existing front bead sight to help improve target focus and low light sight acquisition and sight recovery after muzzle flash. Installs over front sight beads from .125" - .140" diameter by filling the cavity on the underside of the sight with Brownells Acraglas Gel, then pressing the sight over the bead and allowing it to fully cure. If existing bead is too small or too large, replace with Brownells #6 bead for 3-56 threads or #26 for 6-48 threads. Some shotgun barrels may require drilling and tapping of existing hole to 6-48 for installation of #26 Brownells bead. Plain Barrel model with cupped bottom fits round shotgun barrels. Includes instructions.

There are a number of shotgun sights that epoxy over the existing front sight. Just search for them. Trijicon makes one also.

I have not used these sights, so I cannot verify if they will stay on a Saiga in semi auto the way we use them.

Good luck with your quest. Castalia

post-35033-0-24414500-1344303714.jpg

Edited by Castalia

Is anyone sure that the sight pictured above will fit the s-12 dovetail? I've got a Chaos extend rail on mine but I am always looking for ideas for my next lightweight build. I'm thinking this rear with a fiber optic front replacing the bead would be easy. Is there such thing as a slip over bead FO sight that anyone is aware of? Thanks!

The glock sights supposedly fit.

if I was going for a stockish lightweight build and wanted to use the dovetail instead of a weld-on I'd probably go for the Krebs set with a fiber optic front post. I don't know of any direct replacements for the stock front bead. Since you don't like the Krebs, you should look for the stock IZ-108 rib sight. It's the right setup for clays. I think Cobra might still sell them (or you could just get his cobra rail.)

Edited by Sian

http://forum.saiga-1...ail#entry535958

Found that thread searching. Pic with that bullseye/ghost ring sight (Marbles brand and Midway USA has them for $16, Product #: 679676).

It seems that the factory dovetail is ~9mm, the bullseye dovetail is 3/8" (11mm). Some slight filing should get it to fit in nicely.

I'm going to order it and give it a go and see how it works out with Dinzags short FSB that i have on mine.

Edited by Mullet Man

I just installed that ghost ring on mine too. Lines up nice with Dinzag's short FSB. I use an orange front sight post and i'm thinking about painting the inner ring of the rear sight white, so it contrasts and stands out better when lined up inside the FSB "hood". The ghost ring fits right inside the front hood and makes for a very quick acquisition and "natural feeling" alignment.

i havent test fired it to dial it in yet but so far i really like the sight picture. I can tell immediately that i don't have to squish my face down onto the stock to get a good line of sight like i did with the factory rear sight.

I like it.

shoot2thrillu; What FSB are you using? EDIT; N/M, i see you are trying to upgrade the factory front sight for hi-viz. May i recommend foregoing that option and picking up a FSB to extend the sight radius (doubles the length) and then look at options for hi-viz front posts to use instead. I'd bet you will be much happier overall and have a good amount of adjustability with an AK type FSB.

Edited by Mullet Man

This is Dinzag's newest model Deluxe Short Front Sight Block and Marbles Bullseye rear "peep sight" (part # and info on peep sight above)

Sorry, best i could do for sight plain pictures....

post-20217-0-99478300-1345018327_thumb.jpg

post-20217-0-10441000-1345018370_thumb.jpg

post-20217-0-46720900-1345018348_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mullet Man

hmm i do like that but i just put that hi viz on last night. got to relocate my lock tite before i test fire. was gonna paint my ring white. as well. shot it yesterday without the bead and pretty confident in it. that was a good buy in my opinion. kindof wishing i went the fsb route though.

Yeah have a few different Marbles rings out in the shop, but haven't figured out an easy way to mod them - at least on a production scale. They will fit, but it will take a sharp edge needle file.

Thanks for sharing the info guys!

This is Dinzag's newest model Deluxe Short Front Sight Block and Marbles Bullseye rear "peep sight" (part # and info on peep sight above)

Sorry, best i could do for sight plain pictures....

post-20217-0-99478300-1345018327_thumb.jpg

post-20217-0-10441000-1345018370_thumb.jpg

post-20217-0-46720900-1345018348_thumb.jpg

I don't get it. On a shotgun? Why??

maybe on a pod mounted machine gun......

To each, their own.

I don't get it. On a shotgun? Why??

maybe on a pod mounted machine gun......

To each, their own.

Speed of acquisition.

The eyes (minds) natural want to align a circle within a circle.

The raised rear sight now allows me a more comfortable cheek weld.

It's just a tiny peep sight with a protective ring around it, i don't see how it equals a pod mounted machine gun sight?.

I haven't fired it yet but i'll report back with an honest "evaluation" of how it does with slugs and maybe some clay shooting.

Just shouldering it, makes me want to swap rear leafs on my iz132 for a Krebs ghost ring leaf.

Have you had a chance to run an S12 with a raised FSB?

Have you had a chance to run an S12 with a raised FSB?

Sure, I won a set in one of the "contests" here in the forum, sponsored by Chile. I have them mounted on my S12. I held off on cutting out the factory rear leaf (because it wouldn't drift out) and putting in the Ghost Ring. The improper sight alignment won out in the end though, and I now have a complete set of Krebs installed. They're fine for clays and shot hunting, but accuracy suffers with slugs because of the large aperture.

Sure, I won a set in one of the "contests" here in the forum, sponsored by Chile. I have them mounted on my S12. I held off on cutting out the factory rear leaf (because it wouldn't drift out) and putting in the Ghost Ring. The improper sight alignment won out in the end though, and I now have a complete set of Krebs installed. They're fine for clays and shot hunting, but accuracy suffers with slugs because of the large aperture.

I remember that contest. I'm lost, what the fuck are you breaking my balls for then? O,o

Only difference between mine and yours is i dont have bolts clamping the FSB to the barrel and you dont have a protective ring around your rear sight.

Mine wouldnt drift out either and i didnt feel like making a jig for the shop press, so i dremel cut the sight until it would drift out.

I remember that contest. I'm lost, what the fuck are you breaking my balls for then? O,o

Only difference between mine and yours is i dont have bolts clamping the FSB to the barrel and you dont have a protective ring around your rear sight.

Mine wouldnt drift out either and i didnt feel like making a jig for the shop press, so i dremel cut the sight until it would drift out.

I didn't realize I was ball-busting. You seem a little sensitive about this. I use my shotgun for what it is. A shotgun. Putting an accurized rear peep sight on a shotgun doesn't make a lot of sense to me, unless you're dedicating the gun to slugs. Doing this lessens the point-shooting, quick acquisition sights that shotguns are intended for by blocking field of view, but will make it more accurate while AIMING. It's hard to AIM at moving targets.

I ended up putting the ghost ring on because the middle of the shot pattern while using the raised FSB and the factory rear leaf was 8 to 10" off at 30 yards. This was absolutely unacceptable, and mounting the ghost ring cured that. That doesn't mean I'm happy about the way it stands up off the gun. That is a "catch" point.

Again, I wasn't trying to offend you. Your choice may work GREAT for what you want to do with your gun. I've seen guys put 4-16X50 mildot scopes on 9mm carbines, too, then argue that it's the best sighting system ever for a pistol caliber carbine....

Nah dude, my use of profanity doesn't denote my sensitivity. Not sensitive about it, or offended. It's an inanimate object, not my first born son. ;)

I haven't made any arguments for it being the best sighting system for a shotgun, or any gun for that matter. All i said was i liked the way it felt so far and how natural it felt in alignment and even went so far as to say i haven't fired it yet but will report back honestly with whether or not i like it.

I was just pointing out with the ball breaking comment, that since you have a damn near identical sighting system on your S12, compared to mine, it's a little odd to be telling me how little sense it makes to being using such a setup. You can't disagree with that i don't think. We agree on alot of things on here and i hate to turn bad blood out of this somehow.

I do primarily shoot slugs out of mine but my main reason for wanting a rear peep sight was to get away from the uncomfortable cheek weld that i had to maintain with the rear pistol sight and raised FSB. My cheek would get punished after a round of ~20 slugs because of the aggressively low weld i had to use on the stock to get a good line of sight. The front sight post was threaded almost all the way down into the FSB

With the raised peep, i can already tell a difference in weld and it feels much more comfortable but i won't know for sure until i test it out.

I've already been looking at KNS front dove tail peep sights as a potential replacement for this Marbles rear piece. They are a little cleaner looking, smaller in size and thicker in body but twice as expensive too.

• Like 1