Sold SAA Colt, Bought 2 Uberti Cattleman Single Actions.

Had a nice 3rd Generation Single Action Army Colt in .357, very nice clean nickel plated revolver. Trouble was it was too nice to screw with and I’m not a big fan of nickel plated guns.

I like single actions for plinking and shits and grins but this gun was worth more as a sale than a shooter. Sold it got enough to buy a pair of Uberti Hombres .357s with consecutive serial numbers and still have over $500.00 left over.

The Uberti’s have the mat finish so it’s like an AR fan became a cowboy. Fit on them feels good but it will take a little time to get use to the flat black. I’m toying with the thought of stripping them and bluing them at some point.

Will post photos of the pair later.

Short review:

1st off I haven’t got to shoot the guns yet, I’ve got dies, bullets, powder, and primers but no brass on hand (looking at buying a 1,000 pieces of once fired right now).

I’ve had Ubertis before and was happy with them in the past and at this point don’t see any reason I won’t like these. I’ve touched on the flat black finish and should also note the brass grip frames are not polisher either. The grips themselves are the one piece style that are pretty good looking wood and well fitted to the guns in fact they look and fit better than the 2 piece ones on the Colt I sold.

I’ve had a few older 3 screw Rugers and only a couple of Colts in the past and just don’t care for the new Ruger 2 screw design. I figure if I shoot myself in the leg drawing or holstering a single action I shouldn’t play with them any more (or any other pistols at that point). That said these guns have the old single action works with 1st click safety, 2nd click loading release, 3rd click lock, and the 4th click fully cocked and ready to fire. From the reviewer stand point the clicks / hammer pull is not as notched as I’m use too they seem a little mushy but that may be oil / grease in the action that I’ll look into when I decide if I’m going to refinish the metal and put in a better set of springs. Triggers don’t feel bad they’re both on par with a good single action pull that I’ve come to expect. Uberti did add a safety by putting a extra cut in the extended length cylinder pin that if you push it in to that cut out it won’t let the gun’s hammer go past the 1st click all the way down to impact the primer (kind of dumb in my book but not in the way if left alone).

Like I said haven’t fired them yet but if they shoot like all the others they’ll shoot a little low. Easy enough to fix just file the front sight to get the impact up to the point of aim. This is why I’m waiting to shoot them till I get set up to load my own shells, hot loads tend to hit lower and light loads tend to hit higher. This was one of the other reasons I sold the Colt with a nickel finish I wasn’t going to file the sight down I can touch up black or blue but no way to fix a nickel finish.

post-20842-0-24490800-1344268362_thumb.jpg

post-20842-0-97337100-1344268377_thumb.jpg

Edited by going12220

Wise decision. The Ubertis will most likely outshoot the Colt. You know Colt SAAs have been made in Italy for quite some time now, but finished here?

You've got the same guns, just different branding.

I've got 400 pieces of new brass coming this week so I should get a chance to make them go bang this weekend.

One of the other changes Colt did on the newer guns that seems odd was they no longer use a full sleeve in the cylinder as the old ones had and Uberti still has (2nd IPB item 4). Colt went to a short bushing at the front of the cylinder (1st IPB item 6), I’ve never had to change a sleeve out due to wear but it would be cheaper than replacing a whole cylinder. Sadly with Colt they’re just really selling their name brand now not a quality pistol that’s being sub contracted as cheaply as possible. The clones have maintained the original design better than the guns they started out to copy.

post-20842-0-61882800-1344865966_thumb.jpg

post-20842-0-82595800-1344865990.gif

Edited by going12220