Quick Detachable Butt Stock?

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and just got my first S-12. I am going to convert it but just don't like the stock attachment options.

I am looking to add a quick detachable butt stock to my build. Has anyone done this or have any ideas how I could go about doing this using what parts are already available? I don't like folding stock as they almost all seem to hit drum mags when folded and don't lock into place very well in the folded position.

I searched and looked thru the forum but found nothing on this, any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

One option to avoid needing a detachable stock is the rotating stock drum adapter. I have one and the rotating piece is solid. (I won't drop the name because I don't know if they are a business member.) As far as folding adapters that lock tightly in the folded position, I don't know.

I'm thinking I saw a custom pin-release stock on these forums at some point.

Mossberg recently came out with a system for quick detatch stuff for their 500's. I don't know much about it but I'm willin to bet money that someone here could rig it to a Saiga

Just checked, it's actually "Coming Soon" and the system is called Flex

I also think this is a good idea. Makes for easier storage but has the full stock advantage. Take a look at the Thompson SMG detachable stock. I think one could be made for the AK.

You could also rig one up using a thumbscrew to replace the fixed stock screws.

I am working on an idea for this. I cut the square portion off of the Tapco T6 and am going to weld a steel tube to the back plate so the stock slides into the tube and is secured with a pin. Just pull the pin and the stock comes out and I can attach a single point sling to the pin inside the tube so the gun will hang straight down. This is best with an SBS, I am imagining something that the Terminator would have strapped to his side:). Think of Arnold with a PGO SBS with an MD20, much better than the lever gun that he had. Then he could attach the stock and hand it to Sarah Connor...

A folding stock works too but I don't like the bulk since I mostly shoot PGO.

Edited by romad7

Simpler way of making something... most of the skeletonized stocks are held on with two bolts that screw into the reciever. With a dremel or other cutter, turn the two holes into slots that run to the edge and then replace the standard screws that come with the stock with socket shoulder screws to that the stock can be lifted smoothly from the shouldered screws. If you need a better retention, you can drill a hole allowing a pin to be inserted or pulled to keep the stock in place.

Thanks guys, those are some good ideas.

Tony: Can you please explain the operation of this? I don't see a backplate welded to the receiver, Does that pin go thru the tang to hold it on the gun? Is it pull the pin and the stock pulls out of the rear of the receiver?

The stock just slides into the back of the receiver, just like a normal AK stock....instead of two screws holding it in place, there is a pin (with a knob on top) that runs through the tang and into the plastic stock. That is about as easy as it gets......no need to over-engineer the shit.

Tony

Thanks Tony, That looks like a solid easy setup that would work great if you have a rear tang.

Since I have no rear tang my goal is to be able to do this but somehow do it with an internal receiver block.

You could weld a tab in place of the tang, sort of a shorter tang to hold the pin. Or run a pin through the side of the receiver if you must have an internal block.

Edited by romad7

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and just got my first S-12. I am going to convert it but just don't like the stock attachment options.

I am looking to add a quick detachable butt stock to my build. Has anyone done this or have any ideas how I could go about doing this using what parts are already available? I don't like folding stock as they almost all seem to hit drum mags when folded and don't lock into place very well in the folded position.

I searched and looked thru the forum but found nothing on this, any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Why would you need a quick detachable butt stock?

To have the option to shoot PGO or with a stock without having to use a folder. I don't like folding stocks, too much bulk on the side of the gun when folded for shooting. Tool-less removable stock is the goal here.