I am looking to have a tromix back plate welded on. The tang is cut off already. What vendors would perform this service for me? I would also need the receiver holes welded up. I would then like to refinish it myself. Thanks guys.

Where the F@#% in Indiana are you? Just do it the easy way. Buy your rear plate from CSS and then find a local welder. Not some hillbilly in his shed out back but someone who knows what they are doing. Just look in your yellow pages. That would be quicker and you would save in headache and shipping.

Where the F@#% in Indiana are you? Just do it the easy way. Buy your rear plate from CSS and then find a local welder. Not some hillbilly in his shed out back but someone who knows what they are doing. Just look in your yellow pages. That would be quicker and you would save in headache and shipping.

I am from north west Indiana. Right by Hammond IN Edited by lewie212

Twitch has a point. Thats not a big job well the back plate is something any good welder can do. They could also fill the holes but if they aren't gun people I don't know how the finished product would turn out. Sending it out will take a while for the turn around. Most reputable shops have huge waiting list. If you were needing a whole conversion then it would be worth the wait but like alot of us here you sound like a DIY'er. I weld like shit. If it's something that can be seen I get my buddy to do it. 15yrs welding in chemical plants without any gunsmithing knowledge or skill hell I don't think he even shoots outside of deer season but he can weld like nobody's business and thats all you need when it's not cosmetic beautification stuff. My buddies welds are actually like a machine did it pretty but he says thats what happens when you do it correctly. I think thats just a nice way of telling me how much my welds suck but hey, they hold.

A good welder won't roll the bead over the edge of the reciever then grind and grind till the ends are rounded and without definition.

Ask the welder what weld prep for the plate is needed for good penetration

post-23663-0-39158400-1344295133.jpg

You can see a 45 degree all around the plate.

post-23663-0-07161100-1344295355_thumb.jpg

And don't forget about the buttstock angle you prefer. I like parallel with the bottom of the reciever, some like parallel with the barrel.

post-23663-0-20765500-1344295744.jpg finished with plenty of penetration especially around the tang area for strength.

Crisp edges, a factory look.

Edited by RamLake

saiga309.jpg

Make friends with your local muffler shop, drop by with your Saiga and get em to zap the holes with a MIG. I weld for a living and can tell you a $10 bill or a 6 pack are universal languages beer.gif

t

Edited by Trueno

saiga309.jpg

Make friends with your local muffler shop, drop by with your Saiga and get em to zap the holes with a MIG. I weld for a living and can tell you a $10 bill or a 6 pack are universal languages beer.gif

t

Just be careful cause your probably not going to be happy with a muffler shops weld on that rear plate! unhappy.gif

t

Just be careful cause your probably not going to be happy with a muffler shops weld on that rear plate! unhappy.gif

If it was me workin' at the muffler shop, you'd be thrilled. big_smile.gif

A good welder won't roll the bead over the edge of the reciever then grind and grind till the ends are rounded and without definition.

And don't forget about the buttstock angle you prefer. I like parallel with the bottom of the reciever, some like parallel with the barrel.

post-23663-0-20765500-1344295744.jpg finished with plenty of penetration especially around the tang area for strength.

Did you make that plate? The one at CSS is a straight rectangle without the notch.

Did you make that plate? The one at CSS is a straight rectangle without the notch.

Yes, but the vendors plate can be fitted. By recessing the plate flush to the reciever you can really penetrate into the thicker tang area and create a really strong weld.

t

If it was me workin' at the muffler shop, you'd be thrilled. big_smile.gif

Do people mig on rear plates? Iv only heard of people using a tig.

Probably not, but you asked (in the OP) about welding the holes in the rec'r, I definitely suggest using a MIG for that. wink.png

fhdav1186dw0.jpg

314r09j.jpg

For TIG work, might pay in the long run to get to know as many welders as you can. Sooner or later maybe they'll rub off on ya and you can do your own stuff.

t

Edited by Trueno

Probably not, but you asked (in the OP) about welding the holes in the rec'r, I definitely suggest using a MIG for that. wink.png

fhdav1186dw0.jpg

314r09j.jpg

For TIG work, might pay in the long run to get to know as many welders as you can. Sooner or later maybe they'll rub off on ya and you can do your own stuff.

t

Tig works fine for it. Just use a copper, or aluminum backing plate. With a 1/8" tungsten, and a 3/32 er70s rod. Strike to the plate, not the reciever (foot pedal recommended) and bring the edge of your puddle to the edge of the hole.