painting your gun

Not the case with all coatings but with most the best advise that I can give is #1 BE PATIENT #2 several thin coats #3 you can't rush a good paint job. I haven't refinished an gun in a couple of years but my test bed S12 is really starting to look rough. I have a buddy who owns a gun refinishing buisiness and I think I'm going to give him a try. I really don't have the patients or the time to give it what it deserves. Dura Coat is a good tough finish as long as you follow the directions. I've even used some spray paint on a couple parts kit guns because it was the closest thing to the factory commie block finish. Hope this helps.

Personally i would avoid the hydro coating. There is a local shop that does it here. So i have handled it. It doesnt seem durable @ all. I would do mily resin or cerakote. I did moly resin. Only regret was i wished i used a small gravity feed sprayer instead of an air brush.

Got my STG58 done by HydroGraphics,http://www.hdhydro.c....htm?m=87&s=595 Chose a pattern that was listed as Digital Tiger stripe, but more closely resembles Marine Woodland Digital.

stgcamo2.jpg

I sent them the furniture and they applied the camo, then sent the furniture back to me:

falcamofurniture.jpg

Dealt with a guy named Grant Hoskin, who was very helpful. They have literally dozens of patterns to choose from. I had never had a rifle that had been camo-dipped or even held one, but it has exceeded my expectations far and way above what I anticipated. The finish resembles paint, and is so durable I haven't put a single scratch on since I put it back on the rifle. The people who doubt the durability and quality of a top notch application obviously have no first hand experience with it! 032.gif

Edited by Jpanzer
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Not the case with all coatings but with most the best advise that I can give is #1 BE PATIENT #2 several thin coats #3 you can't rush a good paint job. I haven't refinished an gun in a couple of years but my test bed S12 is really starting to look rough. I have a buddy who owns a gun refinishing buisiness and I think I'm going to give him a try. I really don't have the patients or the time to give it what it deserves. Dura Coat is a good tough finish as long as you follow the directions. I've even used some spray paint on a couple parts kit guns because it was the closest thing to the factory commie block finish. Hope this helps.

Get the Duracoat Shake-n-Spray. Its very simple and theres a buncha you tube videos to show exactly how to mix the paint.

You guys are making me feel bad I just use a rattlecan.

Hehe..I just used Krylon BBQ& Stove paint.

That's what I did. Someday I'm going to have her coated with something, but that's just cover marks and get everything the same till I'm done

Get the Duracoat Shake-n-Spray. Its very simple and theres a buncha you tube videos to show exactly how to mix the paint.

UPDATE: I tried the Duracoat shake-n-spray and it was shit. Buyer beware.

You sent your gun out to be converted, yet try to refinish it before converting.

Most members would strip the gun first, refinish , assemble, test function, & post pics.

Edited by Jetmech

You sent your gun out to be converted, yet try to refinish it before converting.

Most members would strip the gun first, refinish , assemble, test function, & post pics.

No I sure didnt. I painted a handgun with it. I was told it worked great so I posted for folks to try it and then tried it myself and had issues. What do you care what I do? No one listens to my advice right? Are you a moderator? Is it your job to follow me all over this sight in the hopes that I will post something for you to comment on. Just because a few folks have chimed in to pile on doesnt alleve you of the fact that you're ignorant redneck d-bag.

No I sure didnt. I painted a handgun with it. I was told it worked great so I posted for folks to try it and then tried it myself and had issues. What do you care what I do? No one listens to my advice right? Are you a moderator? Is it your job to follow me all over this sight in the hopes that I will post something for you to comment on. Just because a few folks have chimed in to pile on doesnt alleve you of the fact that you're ignorant redneck d-bag.

REDNECK!!!!!!!!

Apparently you have never been to the fourth largest city in America. haha.gif haha.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5WWuQ0yiPA&feature=player_detailpage