MD Arms v-plug issue

I recently got the MD Arms v-plug for my S12 to increase reliability with light loads. The #5 works great and I'm getting pretty strong ejections. I've probably put 100 light federals through it so far without any issues, so the light load problem seems to be solved.

I then did some experimenting with some heavier loads. One thing I found that was weird is that I was getting FTEs with 3" slugs on the #1 AND #2 settings. Even the #3 setting was giving some pretty weak ejections with the 3" slugs. I'm afraid to take it down to #4 for fear of over-gassing the gun.

I clean the gas block regularly, so I don't think clogged gas ports are the issue.

One thing I'm going to try this weekend is backing the plug out another half turn to the settings on the other side. Maybe that will open it up slightly. Any other ideas what the issue may be?

Please post name of slug you tried.

Other people may have the same experience and you'll find your experience maybe typical for Brand X slugs.

FWIW

If you didn't already know, slugs generally have lower pressure than buckshot and shot shells if the same components are used.

Read the instructions closely under the "ADJUSTING CORRECTLY " part of the instruction manual or if you threw it away go to the website.

Sounds like after you bottomed the plug out you didn't back it out to the other spectrum of settings.

Back it out to the next "-" position and open up one at a time till you get reliable ejection. Mine goes 1 for slug, 3 for buckshot, 5 for birshot.

Edited by leadsled
  • Like 1

Please post name of slug you tried.

Other people may have the same experience and you'll find your experience maybe typical for Brand X slugs.

FWIW

If you didn't already know, slugs generally have lower pressure than buckshot and shot shells if the same components are used.

I used the Winchester Super X slugs.

Read the instructions closely under the "ADJUSTING CORRECTLY " part of the instruction manual or if you threw it away go to the website.

Sounds like after you bottomed the plug out you didn't back it out to the other spectrum of settings.

Back it out to the next "-" position and open up one at a time till you get reliable ejection. Mine goes 1 for slug, 3 for buckshot, 5 for birshot.

When I bottom out the plug, the position is just about to the "-" position, but it's not quite there. So I have to back it out almost a half turn to get to my first "-" setting, and then I adjusted the settings from that point when I was shooting. That was my interpretation of the directions, but correct me if I am wrong.

What I was saying before is that I was going to back it out another half turn from there, so maybe that will open it up slightly.

Before my Auto Plug I had a Vplug and it was great. I only switched so I could run mixed shells in a mag without adjusting. I chose the Vplug because of the extra set of setting. See my stock 2 position bottomed out then backed out till the detent engaged was so deep that it acyually sealed of the gas ports and turned my S12 into a manual eject, cock, and load POS. I had to back out a full turn for it to work flawlessly or overgas the gun so that choice was clear. So I was surprised that I was able to use the first set of settings. I also had a completely blocked 4th port and had some fairly extensive gas work that had to be done before the Auto plug was even getting installed but thats a different story all together. I had and still use a CSS performance plug with the the nipple. I didn't use the reduced power spring that came in the kit but I keep it around as a spare. My philosophy on the puck is the stock puck has slack. The free movement it has inside the gas block IMO means it smacks into the op rod when fired and the performance pucks nipple stays in contact with the op rod so it pushes it instead of slamming into it with force. I don't know how much force is there when it hits it and it may not be alot. Like I said this is my oppinion but it is more than the push it gets from the nipple on the performance puck. I would like to say that I did get the S12 to run reliably with the factory puck first. Then tuned it for 100% reliabilty with the CSS puck. There is a thread on this forum right now where a guy has a broken carrier. It's cracked where the op rod screws in. I'm not saying the puck thing is the culprit but thats what I'm concerned about happening with the stock puck in place.

Edited by 45Bretired

When I bottom out the plug, the position is just about to the "-" position, but it's not quite there. So I have to back it out almost a half turn to get to my first "-" setting, and then I adjusted the settings from that point when I was shooting. That was my interpretation of the directions, but correct me if I am wrong.

What I was saying before is that I was going to back it out another half turn from there, so maybe that will open it up slightly.

That is correct, in that you opened it up to the "-" setting which is #1, the starting point.. That should be least gas and should not cycle birdshot. Every increment to allow more gas must be counter-clockwise also, where the "+" is maximum gas or setting 5.

I made the mistake of going the wrong direction from the #1 setting to the #3 setting because I was going to shoot Rio 00 buck. I was mad that I had failures. I then bottomed out the plug. Went to my #1 setting, opened it up to #5, and then down to #3. Problem solved.

So my procedure now is to always go to my #1 to insure I'm in the right group of settings then open up to #5. Then if I shoot buck I go down to #3 and Winchester Super X slugs at #1.

Edited by leadsled

I had the same problem with the 3" loads on my DPH plug. Ive decided not to shoot 3" slugs or magnum buckshot anymore. I dont really need to, it destroys my shoulder and has to be hard on the gun. 2 3/4 inch is fine and the plugs seem far more adept at handling those loads.

I had the same problem with the 3" loads on my DPH plug. Ive decided not to shoot 3" slugs or magnum buckshot anymore. I dont really need to, it destroys my shoulder and has to be hard on the gun. 2 3/4 inch is fine and the plugs seem far more adept at handling those loads.

and Im getting rid of my DPH plug in favor of a MD Arms plug. I hope I have more luck with that one.

I did some testing this past Monday. I have a converted S12 with MD V plug and MD Booster Puck. I have excellent reliability with the cheap Federal 2 3/4 # 6 and #7.5 but ONLY with setting + (wide open we'll call setting 5). 3 inch #4 shot will reliably cycle on setting 4 (closed one notch) but not on setting 3. I borrowed my dads DPH plug and CSS puck. With the DPH and CSS I can run the Federal 2 3/4 on setting 5 and the 3 inch #4 shot on setting 3. When I did DPH and MD Booster Puck I had to go back to setting 6 for 2 3/4 and setting 4 for the 3" shells. The V Plug with CSS yielded the same results as the V plug and Booster Puck. I will say as far as plug quality the MD V Plug is a little more refined with the machining with less sharp edges. The DPH took a chunk of my hide off with a sharp corner. Take the results for what they are worth. I only used 10 rounds of ammo for each combination so it wasn't extenisve.

I recently got the MD Arms v-plug for my S12 to increase reliability with light loads. The #5 works great and I'm getting pretty strong ejections. I've probably put 100 light federals through it so far without any issues, so the light load problem seems to be solved.

I then did some experimenting with some heavier loads. One thing I found that was weird is that I was getting FTEs with 3" slugs on the #1 AND #2 settings. Even the #3 setting was giving some pretty weak ejections with the 3" slugs. I'm afraid to take it down to #4 for fear of over-gassing the gun.

I clean the gas block regularly, so I don't think clogged gas ports are the issue.

One thing I'm going to try this weekend is backing the plug out another half turn to the settings on the other side. Maybe that will open it up slightly. Any other ideas what the issue may be?

I was finally able to get back out to do some more testing with the V-plug. I originally thought was that the plug was still covering the gas ports too much on the #1 setting even after backing the plug out a full turn from the bottomed out position.

It turns out that I may have been right. I backed out the plug another 2 full turns from the bottomed out position, and I was able to shoot 3" slugs with absolutely no problems on the #1 setting.

I also shot about 250 light Federal loads on the #5 setting at this backed out position, and I didn't have a single problem the whole day with all of my mags (Promag 20 rd drum, SGM 10 rd, factory 5 rd). The only problem I have been having is with the Winchester Super Speed walmart rounds, whose soft hulls sometimes get mangled causing an FTE. I'll just shoot the Federals instead laugh.png

Did you use the reduced spring? Those things are ok I guess but I've been wary about removing my solid OEM spring.

Did you use the reduced spring? Those things are ok I guess but I've been wary about removing my solid OEM spring.

No, I'm using the factory spring

one thing I noticed if I index'd the stock plug 2 position it seats at a canted angle for the gas discharge...so I drilled out my 4 port (being careful not to overgas) and ordered an auto-plug (yet to test waiting for more parts) and as always DYODD!!!

Edited by sattv4u