Whats the largest collective amount that anyone has shot through any one single Saiga that has a drill/tap bullet guide installed?

I have about 5-6k rounds through one. How many more rounds will a drill/tap bullet guide last?

Anyone know of a difference between the CSS and Dinzags guides?

Something tells me that in 5 years my bullet guide will shit itself due to constant heat/oil exposure on the loctite, and I will end up with a useless rifle.

Thoughts?

Unless you really have a No Shit logbook to keep track of rounds downrange, what does it matter guess-timating a round count? It's an AK variant, who really cares how many rounds went through it. Just shoot the shit out of it. Add some sand into the action, shoot the shit out of it some more. rolleyes.gif

I doubt there is enough stress on a bullet guide for it to just fail. It will likely wear down like any other part and just start fail to feeds. I have thousands through mine and it still works fine. I dont worry about it. If it ever needs fixing ill fix it. I figure other parts will need repair before or at the same time as it.

It's an AK variant, who really cares how many rounds went through it.

I'm worried that the bullet guide will die, thats why it matters.

I'm talking about the ones that you drill/tap the trunnion for, and then use loctite.

This method works, but it also looks somewhat temporary, unlike a true riveted bullet guide.

My current one has a bit of metal shaved off of it from feeding rounds. I suppose that eventually it can possibly shave to the point of not feeding. I also think that eventually, the loctite can give out due to high heat and all kinds of gun cleaners/oils getting into it.

I realize that the bullet guide is not a very high stress part, but the fact that its just held together by a screw worries me a bit. In my eyes, the loctite is the only thing keeping the screw in there. I used the red permanent 271 I believe. I think that if you shoot about 300 rounds through the gun, that the trunnion will heat up enough to make the loctite liquid again, and therefore useless. I think that after the loctite is subject to continuous cycles of very high heat + oil/cleaners, that it will start to deteriorate and start letting the screw back out.

Thoughts?

I havent used any loctite on my home made pipe nipple bullet guide and the screw has never backed out. When i did the barrel swap, i had to use two hands on the screw driver to break the bite of the threads, to get the bullet guide out. What the problem is dude? Quit being a 'worry wart'.

I'm somewhere around 2,000rds through my 132.

Even if you get some sort of reasonable answer in your eyes, it is not gonna tell you squat about your particular setup.

• Like 1

No loc tite whatsoever was used in the installation of my bullet guide, none at the initial installation and none when i swapped barrels.

When i say i had to break the threads loose, i mean the screw was so tight that i had to use two hands to twist the screw driver, to unthread the screw out of the trunnion.

Maybe some of the lacquer coating from all the Golden Tiger i run thru it worked its way in and sealed it up, i really dont know. All i know is that screw was secure and was not coming out on its own!

• Like 1

I don't understand why your rifle would be useless if the bullet guide was chewed up the the point of feed failures.

Why couldn't you just replace it?

I didn't degrease after tapping the trunnion before adding the loctite and the screw is holding fine. I just check it during cleaning. When I find it has started coming loose, I'll properly degrease and loctite it again.

I think having a spare bullet guide is a good idea. I've seen a few in various threads looking all mangled. In the future, I would use blue loctite because it does seem you might need to replace it at some point.

It's an AK variant, who really cares how many rounds went through it.

I'm worried that the bullet guide will die, thats why it matters.

Still, even if you are counting, yours may die at 4K rounds while someone else has put over 6K through theirs without failure. I don't see why that would matter. Just keep an eye on it like you should any other firearm for wear and tear.

• Like 1