Homemade FH/Compensator

I've seen a number of shotguns with a simple homemade mod done, and I'm sure you guys have seen it too. You drill about 15-20 small holes on the top half of the last inch of the barrel. A buddy of mine did this to his moss 500, and he said it improved felt recoil. I think he's full of crap. Personally, I would think if anything, it would reduce muzzle jump only. But then I saw it on a number of shotguns from the factory. And it's kinda similar to what they have done to the "compensated" Glocks. Has anyone seen this? Does it work? Would it look like shit on a S-12? Anyone done it to a S-12? Am I gonna get kicked out of the forum for suggesting such a crude mod?? I haven't found a whole lot of FH's out there that look real cool to me, and I've never seen one that can be installed easily. Opinions please.....

post-2098-1128308430.gif

post-2098-1128308703.jpg

Edited by shaneman153a

RE, Barrel porting. This WORKS, "felt" recoil is reduced. I have a gunsmith friend who gave me his shotgun "formula". I shoot 2 .38 Super red dot "race guns" in competiton,(uspsa). Compensated guns like this all shoot in the "open" class were such modifications are permitted. (You have an advantage over non ported guns) Hot rod ammo is used(9mm x 115 grain bullet going about 1500 +, feet per second is the norm. (lots of "gas" too make the comp "work"). I have a S12 with 23 barrel "ports". I built the gun to shoot in 3 gun competition. When someone finally makes usa hi-cap mags, I will be ready to rock & roll.( Sorry, I am not going to send my credit card # overseas) ( I have shot my s20 x 10 round mag in informal competition and the "mag" fed shotguns are quicker to reload (need to have the BHO feature), interestingly, ALL mag fed shotguns are automaticly put in the "open" class as they have an "advantage".(uspsa) mikey1

Edited by mikey1

If you look at the RAA test page they appear to be selling barrel extensions for threaded barrels. This may be a cheap way to try your porting idea without screwing up a hard to replace barrel. If you do it please post results here, I'd like to see the results.

True, but I've got a plain-jane slick barrel (no threads). It would just be a big headache, and it would actually be more work than threading for a FH. I was thinking If I screwed it up, I could always cut it off to the legal limit. (I'm sitting at 22 in. now) If I can come up with a cool-looking AND functional pattern to drill, I'll do it, but I also plan to put on a rusmil sight, so I have to plan around that too.

Truthfully, I posted this hoping that someone on this forum would reply:

"OH MY GOD!! BARREL PORTING IS THE GREATEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD! LOOK AT MY ATTACHED PICTURE OF THE JOB I DID, MY SHOTGUN NOW KICKS LIKE A .22LR, AND I HAVE MORE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF IT!"

High hopes, right?

If I can come up with a cool-looking AND functional pattern to drill, I'll do it, but I also plan to put on a rusmil sight, so I have to plan around that too.

Keep in mind that the porting is done with EDM, and the holes are actually not perpendicular, but rather angeled toward the rear to create some recoil compensation. I am sure that you can drill them with a drill press, but not that easily.

Yeah, I've been trying to figure out a way to angle them back without slipping and marring up the finish around the hole. I was thinking of starting the hole perpendicular, than rotating it back. Or, grinding in a little starter hole with the dremel, but thanks for the heads up alloy.

Shaneman153a.... I took a pic but you really can't see the porting clearly. If you want I think I can post a discription of what needs to done... With measurements I used. Keep in mind some "dwell" time is needed so that the recoil gas can make the gun still function.(You don't want to drill too far to the rear either). I don't think 1/2" from the barrel end will help much. I used the "Briley" screw-in choke/comps on my Benelli Super 90, (was not impressed)(Sold the gun to buy a Saiga) The tool you want is a #3 centering drill (Brownells,pg. 166 or tool supply house) This gives a .107 " hole and lets you champer for the "vortex" effect at the same time(look at any rocket engine, most have a vortex on the business end). I can't see the attempt at "angle" porting as the barrel is to thin for much gain in my mind. If you don't have access to a simple drill press,you may not be able to keep the holes in line as accurately?. I have 3 rolls of holes, 6 on the left side, 9 in the center and 8 on the right side, with more locations marked for the option to drill more if needed. I started back far enough(3 1/2") to allow the barrel to be shortened to 19"/or/screw in chokes to be installed etc. Remember, the # of holes will depend on what load you shoot for best functioning! I have ended up changing the rear spring to a Colt.45 spring for full functioning on my S20 and will need to "tune" the S12 once I'm happy. mikey1

To port barrels on shotguns, they made a jig, to drill the holes

it guide the drill bit, they are not cheap, here is a link

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...G&s=35038#35038

I used to have a Mossberg 935 3-1/2 inch with a ported barrel

it work pretty good, specially on double 00 buckshot 3-1/2

shells, but you have to consider that the shotgun was heavy

and took some of the recoil too.

• 1 month later...

You are probably right about the climb fix only. You have to direct gas backward to provide some forward thrust to the gun to address recoil. Check out the Finnish use of a Barret .50-style comp on Saiga 12s. Search the forum. That's the recoil ticket. Holes on top address climb.

Edited by inparidel

"OH MY GOD!! BARREL PORTING IS THE GREATEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD! LOOK AT MY ATTACHED PICTURE OF THE JOB I DID, MY SHOTGUN NOW KICKS LIKE A .22LR, AND I HAVE MORE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF IT!"

YEAH AND IT MADE MY DICK BIGGER TOO!!!

Yeah, and not just longer, but thicker too!

I had a revolver MagNaPorted and it reduced kick to a comfortable level with heavy .357 magnum loads. My Saiga has a Krinkov style brake and when it flew off at the range with the threaded adapter I felt the difference in recoil. I'll add a muzzle brake to my Saiga shotgun when I can get one to reduce the muzzle climb and kick.

Some of these devices work; barrel porting, muzzle brakes. You'll still have a hefty kick but not from your shotgun but not one that will beat you with magnum loads. Anyone who says it kicks like a .22 is exaggerating or a snake oil salesman. Glock caught a lot of flak from police departments about the exaggerated flash in their ad for their ported pistol who worried their pistols will have that kind of flash signature which will make their officers easy targets.

I can't promise any increases to your dick size but porting will reduce recoil on shotguns.

Edited by uzitiger