So i bought a new Akdal MKA-1919 from Miss auto arms, got a great price, very good company to work with, gun shipped right away. Gun arrives at local gun and pawn for me to pick up. I go down and fill out the form for the backround check, wasn't worried at all, never had any problems with the law besides a couple speeding tickets, to my surprise it was delayed, so i left my number with the owner and he calls me back the next day and said i failed the backround test, i was shocked. So i call the ATF and spend 45mins on an automated phone call before I get a person to tell me they can't tell me anything over the phone and refer me to their website. So their website refers me to the FBI website to file an appeal which was done over a week ago.I've bought 15-20 guns in the past and have never had a probelm, i havn't purchased a gun in a few years because things have been tight financially. A couple questions for someone who knows this process, why was i denied? How long does this take? Anyway to expedite the process? Any info will be appreciated!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Man that sucks, I'd be highly pissed to say the least. Maybe try filling out another 4473 and running it again. Probably some idiot at the ATF got you mixed up with someone else. Did you include your

Didn't directly call you a fool or a dummy. It was kind of a dick head thing to post. But, just speaking my mind. You really need to mind your P's and Q's since every dick sucking liberal ass clown ou

i always put my social down so they cant mix me up with some other fucker.

Yea i'm hoping like hell this isn't a strategy to tie up "black" gun sales while they get legislation passed, but we woud have heard about more people by now if it was.

PS. I went right down to the state troopers office and spoke with a cop there to make sure there wasn't anything on my record ie restraining orders, warrants that would cause this, he said he didn't see anything on my record and said i had a better backround than most, including the cops that work there.

Edited by Redhunter2486

First things first. Did you give your SS number?

If you did not that is likely the first problem. You could be mistaken for some one else or a many number of things.

If you did in fact give the SS number make sure it was printed correctly. Could have even been called out incorrect over the phone when checking.

Other than that you just have to appeal and wait.

yea i did use my SSN, i listened as he read everything over the phone and everything was transmitted correctly, that i could tell anyways. I wanted to fill another one out and try again but the shop owner said i couldn't, that that denied form was attached to the gun until it was straightened out. I also considered having my wife go get it but i guess thats a big no no anymore, anyone have an idea of how long this can take? I guess it could be a christmas present instead of a b-day present....Thanks for the response guys

Edited by Redhunter2486

My guess is that it is just a technical error on their part. I get delayed all the time just because I have a common last name. Maybe due to recent events they are changing tactics to deny instead of delay if they have any confusion or they have too many requests to process. It still sucks.

One of the reasons I like Kentucky's CCDW system. The state police does monthly BC checks on permit holders and, in turn, permit holders get to skip the NICS after filling out their 4473.

same here in AZ. some dbag had a similar name as me and would throw me in the 72 hour wait every time, SS# or not. So I just got my CCW and now I leave the store every time. pretty much the only reason to have one here in AZ as there is no CC law.

• Like 1

Get the NICS number they gave the pawn shop on your 4473 and there is an appeal form you can send to NICS to find out what exactly went on. They do not give info over the phone. The federal background checks are not 'pass/fail', just 'proceed/delay/deny', so it may have something to do with your state system for background checks.

I included the NICS number on my FBI repeal form, is there another agency i need to work with also?

Depends on what the FBI response is, and again, if your particular state goes through your state police system and they messed up somehow hopefully they'd tell you what happened.

Maybe try contacting Gun Owners of America.

I'v heard they have people that help with this kind of thing sometimes.

Or call Eric Holders office and tell them you're buying it for a Mexican drug cartel, it should go right through no questions asked. Oh come to think of it they might have canceled that program.

Good luck.

Yea not sure if Holder could grease many wheels these days~ yea i've never been too concerned with identity theft, we do shred important docs before they get trashed but to be honest theres not a whole lot someone coud get on my credit.....The dealer did mention that it expedites things if you have a CCW license so that might be on a to-do list, in Idaho you just have to go to the court house and submit finger prints and $60. I guess it can help to send in finger prints with the appeal form too but i've never been finger printed in my life, seems silly i have to get myself finger printed like a (suspected) criminal to prove i'm not one.

Edited by Redhunter2486

Yea not sure if Holder could grease many wheels these days~ yea i've never been too concerned with identity theft, we do shred important docs before they get trashed but to be honest theres not a whole lot someone coud get on my credit.....The dealer did mention that it expedites things if you have a CCW license so that might be on a to-do list, in Idaho you just have to go to the court house and submit finger prints and $60. I guess it can help to send in finger prints with the appeal form too but i've never been finger printed in my life, seems silly i have to get myself finger printed like a (suspected) criminal to prove i'm not one.

Wow just a trip to the courthouse and $60? Sounds like someone need to get off their ass..........

• Like 1

When you win the appeal, you need to have them issue you a number that brings up YOUR file. A friend of mine had this problem, he would be denied about half the time and had to go thru the whole mess again - until he finally was issued a number to be submitted on NICS checks, then he had no further problems. Wish I could call and ask him more but sadly he passed away.

When you win the appeal, you need to have them issue you a number that brings up YOUR file. A friend of mine had this problem, he would be denied about half the time and had to go thru the whole mess again - until he finally was issued a number to be submitted on NICS checks, then he had no further problems. Wish I could call and ask him more but sadly he passed away.

They can assign you a UPIN number to avoid future problems.

Your SSN does not amount to much these days. It's out there every where in places you don't think it is. Not putting it down on a 4473 protects you from nothing.

Not looking for protection. It is not needed or required to purchase a firearm so I don't provide it.

• Like 1