I'm going to look into that also. Similar, with my ccw anytime I buy a handgun I leave that day with it. The last couple years I have bought a few each year with no problem.

Within the last couple of years everytime I buy a rifle or a shotgun my background won't clear and I end up taking it home after a week on a "provisional."

More embarrassing and annoying than anything. I have called Department of Agriculture but have never been able to get a reason as to why. Atleast I know i'm not the only one.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Man that sucks, I'd be highly pissed to say the least. Maybe try filling out another 4473 and running it again. Probably some idiot at the ATF got you mixed up with someone else. Did you include your

Didn't directly call you a fool or a dummy. It was kind of a dick head thing to post. But, just speaking my mind. You really need to mind your P's and Q's since every dick sucking liberal ass clown ou

i always put my social down so they cant mix me up with some other fucker.

Never had a problem, but something odd happened to me a couple months ago.

I bought two CZ-82 9mm Mak pistols from AIM. They arrived at my FFL, and since I do not have a CCW yet, I am supposed to wait five days by state law until the sale of a handgun is approved by the CLEO. I went to the FFL and paid the transfer fee, and they told me they would contact me in five days when the sherriff's office had given the OK. A couple hours later, I got a call from them saying "uhh, not sure why or how, but the sherriff's office already gave you the OK, you can come pick them up." Went back and picked up my pistols.

Still don't know if what I did was technically illegal, but the CLEO OK'ed it, and nobody ever called me back.

Edited by mancat

I wouldn't be surprised if the on/off switch on your radar was broken.... Just never had this happen to me or anyone i know curious about the process. I've never been called a fool or dummy before but people do have bigger balls when they can just post somthing and not have to look you in the eye. If you refer to the op I was simply stating that i couldn't get my wife to get the gun, but i guess you can put your tin-foil hat on if you want.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if the on/off switch on your radar was broken.... Just never had this happen to me or anyone i know curious about the process. I've never been called a fool or dummy before but people do have bigger balls when they can just post somthing and not have to look you in the eye. If you refer to the op I was simply stating that i couldn't get my wife to get the gun, but i guess you can put your tin-foil hat on if you want.

Didn't directly call you a fool or a dummy. It was kind of a dick head thing to post. But, just speaking my mind. You really need to mind your P's and Q's since every dick sucking liberal ass clown out there monitors this forum. Suggesting that your wife picks up your weapon is a felony. Why the fuck even post it? You know better. It sucks to get delayed. I have never been denied. That would really piss me off.

I hope you legally obtain your weapon soon and never have to put up with the red tape again. In the future, I would suggest you stay on the level and try not put up any red flags.

If I heard you say that in a gunshop, I would look you in the eye and call you a fool. No hard feelings. Just understand the commie is attacking us and looking for any reason to ban our right to defend ourselves.

Best of Luck

• Like 3

I think you were ok'd but the owner of the shop told you the denied BULLSHIT so he could keep the rifle himself! Check into it! Call back where the gun came from & see if the shop owner owns it now. Happen to a friend of mine once. Total bullshit but it really happend!

• Like 1

I hate to mention it, but I would consider the possiblity of identity theft.

That gets my bet. I volunteered for a sensitive govt. Job about 9 years ago. They ran an III on me and told me that I was clean but someone else was using my SSN.

Social Security Admin was clueless, and to this day I am not sure that the issue is really sorted. From what I have heard, around here you can go down to a certain street and get a good enough social security card to get a job for $25. I bet they use some real numbers they pick up when they make those.

I hate to mention it, but I would consider the possiblity of identity theft.

That gets my bet. I volunteered for a sensitive govt. Job about 9 years ago. They ran an III on me and told me that I was clean but someone else was using my SSN.

Social Security Admin was clueless, and to this day I am not sure that the issue is really sorted. From what I have heard, around here you can go down to a certain street and get a good enough social security card to get a job for $25. I bet they use some real numbers they pick up when they make those.

ok crap,,,are you a fed ? naaaa.gif

Nope. I am a gardiner/handyman at the moment. At the time, I worked for a prosecutor's office. I had access to records and, the jail, and other things that require a thorough background check.

I never wanted to be a cop of any kind. I think I could do the job, but it doesn't appeal. Sadly my BA is in Law N' Justice /Prelaw with the paralegal track. I would be a shoe-in if I wanted LE work.

Back in SC, once I got my CWP, I no longer had to go through the background check. It was nice, but I never had any problems getting approved before that, anyway. My name is not very common and I always put my SSN down.

I think you were ok'd but the owner of the shop told you the denied BULLSHIT so he could keep the rifle himself! Check into it! Call back where the gun came from & see if the shop owner owns it now. Happen to a friend of mine once. Total bullshit but it really happend!

I would be fucking FUMING if that ever happened to me.

Not that I ever really had any other problems with my other FFL's (aside from being lazy about calling me to let me know that my gun had arrived)..........but I got spoiled with my FFL down in SC. Super nice guy, cheap transfers, honest, great communication, etc, etc.

• Like 1

Man that sucks, I'd be highly pissed to say the least. Maybe try filling out another 4473 and running it again. Probably some idiot at the ATF got you mixed up with someone else. Did you include your SS# on the form?

+1

Always include the number of the beast.... ahem.... SS#....

I wondered this same thing when the place I bought my rifle at told me "it's $25 for Nics check. $75 if it fails". ?? So, by them entering wrong info could cost me $75?? And then another $25 to redo it (and pass)?? I, politely, told him "I have a security clearance and work for DHS, if it fails, YOU or someone has some expaining to do". It passed. Makes me wonder, though, if this isn't used to make to more $ from shady gun shops.

I had A similar experience:

I got a Delay and then a Denial. Sent an online letter to the FBI to find out what was up. The Response: "Fugitive from Justice" Nothing else, no info about who, what, when, or where. They told me I would have to prove I am the person on the warrant before I could get more info from the FBI. I tried for two months to get my fingerprints rolled at the local PD. They were always too busy to fit me in. I am one exit from the police station and would take me all of 5 minutes to get there.

So, one day I got pulled over for a lane change without signaling. This warrant for me came up out of Florida. Now, I haven't lived in Florida since 1994. I moved to the Bahamas in December of 1994 and up here to New Hampshire in 1997. The warrant stems from a traffic stop that I was arrested for, bailed out, went to court, and I thought I complied with all of the terms of the court order. The three month probation was to be terminated upon getting a FL driver's license and paying the fine. I was just finishing college at the time as was still on my MD license. Apparently I got a probation violation for it but it was never entered into the system until they upgraded the files sometime in 2010.

I called the court clerk and was advised to write a letter to the judge explaining what happened and request that the warrant be dismissed. Done, I called 3 weeks later and they said there was no record of receiving the letter I wrote. I got transferred to many other "Sniveling Servants" I got to the Probation Supervisor and she told me to call her the next week as she had to order my files from the archives. More weeks went by with no return of my voice-mails. I started the telephone tag with all the numbers I had, still no response.

My brother lives in Melbourne FL and was going to Miami the next day. He offered to stop in to find out something. I went online to pull up my record to give him the case number. I saw that a hearing happened at 9:00am that morning. So something was happening. Seven weeks go by with no notification of the outcome of the hearing. I email the big cheese at the Probation Department naming names that I talked to and have not gotten any response.

The next evening on the drive home the Probation Supervisor called. She gave me the low down on everything. The Letter generated the hearing. The court clerk requested my files, so when the Super requested them, they were already at the courthouse. She thought she was done with it and that was the reason she never contacted me. Well the judge terminated the probation and dismissed the Warrant. I got a copy of the Court Order emailed to me from the Super.

So I was able to go pick up my Saiga 12 the next day.

Malodave

Edited by MaloDave
  • Like 1

How well do you trust that pawn shop maybe they were trying to pull a fast one on you to keep the fancy new toy and make a profit I'd be watching them

I wouldn't deal with an FFL who I'm not comfortable with, or where the above situation would even cross my mind.

For anyone who is interested, check out GunBroker's FFL list. You'll probably find FFL's in your area that you never knew existed: http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/DealerNetwork.aspx

If you're a member of a club or shooting range, ask around to see who is a reputable FFL. There's definitely scumbag FFL's out there. Quit giving them your money.

I had this happen to me about 4 yrs ago. Except for speeding tickets, I have been squeeky clean with the law. However, an unpaid/unresolved fine from 1990 stopped my purchase. It had recently appeared on my record as more and more Counties & States are going online and sharing data. The moment I was denied, the local gun store helped me fill out my request to find out why. Two weeks later the TBI sent me a letter explaining what, where, and why. I then contacted the county department and paid the fine. I was told it could take a month from that point to clear my record with TBI.

Pain in the rear, but I was told something simple like not paying a traffic ticket can stop your purchase if it moves to a warrant. For example, my son got a speeding ticket in AL in '09, never went to court, never paid it. This year, his license get's suspended till he paid it. Just that right there would have also stopped him from purchasing a firearm.

One of the reasons I like Kentucky's CCDW system. The state police does monthly BC checks on permit holders and, in turn, permit holders get to skip the NICS after filling out their 4473.

same here in AZ. some dbag had a similar name as me and would throw me in the 72 hour wait every time, SS# or not. So I just got my CCW and now I leave the store every time. pretty much the only reason to have one here in AZ as there is no CC law.

Ditto on the CCW permit. IDK about your state or where you live, but in NC a CCW gets you a free pass on NICS checks for the whole time it is valid. Since I got mine I haven't had to deal with the normal bullshit dog and pony show every time I go to purchase a new firearm...long gun or pistol.

If this issue still hasn't been resolved then it's a denial, not a delay. A delay runs out after three days. Either ATF calls back with a "Procede or a Deny" within three days or if the dealer hears nothing, they are free to sell you the firearm. That's how it's always been with me. I've been through it lots, believe me. Until I took a concealed carry class and got my permit to carry, I would get delayed 3 out of 5 times on average.... whether a few weeks, months, or just a few days apart. It was like spin the fucking bottle down there...ridiculous! Never knew if I would be able to actually pay the transfer and bring home my new prize, or have to leave in disgust, having wasted my time and my FFL's, and gas driving down there...THEN have to turn around and waste more gas & time going back in a day or two when they would call back with the "Proceed". It's fucking retarded the way it's setup. If someone's blacklisted then dammit make it OBVIOUS, don't inconvenience them whenever some asshole is too damn lazy to look a little deeper. Apparently some people, instead of having a red or a green light next to their name on file...have a "yellow proceed with caution" or some shit. Used to piss me off to know end. Carrying a concealed pistol (legally) now anywhere they are allowed is awesome now, but it doesn't hold a candle to the peace of mind I get when going to buy a rifle, shotgun, or pistol these days. Just hand the man my DL & CCW, fill out the form, & I'm outa there with time to go shoot if I feel like it. So I feel for ya and wish you luck.

The fact that you have passed before and been delayed other times is the most ridiculous part, but also proves you are indeed clean and can legally purchase, Go take a CCW course ASAP, it will no doubt help you at least.

And no putting down your SS# doesn't make any difference what so ever when it's a delay....maybe a straight up immediate denial, but it won't help a bit to keep you from getting delayed. I've always put mine down just to make sure. I've a good reason for that and it could possibly be the same reason you got delayed.

Have you ever gotten into any trouble in your youth? I know you said speeding tickets but anything else at all? No need to share if you have, just something to think about. I don't care who knows about my situation because I was wild ass MF growing up and was wide damn open all the time. Yeah I got into trouble, and I damn sure paid for all of it, and learned from it too. Anyway it turnned out to be a double whammy in my case (after I went and did ALL the legwork, like you have to do if you actually want to get to the bottom of it). I went down to the courthouse (at the recommendation of a friend of the family who's an LEO) and pulled all the files on record on myself and everyone else with a name even close to mine. Turned out sure enough, there is some asshole with my same first and last name who's been in and out of the jail and court system in NC more than Otis the town drunk in Mayberry. This dumbass has broken about every law imaginable and is indeed a felon on multiple counts. So I figured cool, there in lies at least part of the problem I suppose....name mixup confusion. That didn't explain the SS# issue though, how could this dirtbag's record be getting confused with mine? So I dug deeper. I went to the office of the Clerk Of Court (also at our friend's recommendation) and asked her for a hard copy of all my files down there in detail. Yopu can get info from the Clerk that's not available on the public record or computer BTW.

I got the paperwork, looked it over good, and THERE IT WAS. They actually had me listed as a felon from one of my stupid antics I was involved in as a kid... a conviction that was indeed a misdemeanor, and some dumbass downtown screwed up on the paperwork and sent the wrong info to the FBI. So next step was to go back in there and have her pull the court records up and verify the mistake, I had her type me up a correction, and notarize it, then I had to still do the rest of the fucking work to fix THEIR mistake. I had to take the papers myself over to the the CCBI office across town and get them to the right person there.

THEN I was finally able to obtain my first pistol permits years ago, which I had been denied and told I was a felon. I remember thinking how absurd this was, and how totally fucked up it would have been after having owned, open carried, transported, and shot...hell even PURCHASED and passed NICS checks all my life up that point...if I had been stopped at a checkpoint or anything, and some LEO had run a check on me. My luck it would have been on the way to or from a public range with a truckload of AKs and Saigas and a crapload of ammo, then been on the world news that night. beaten.gif

The sad part is I straightened all that shit up 10-15 yrs ago, and STILL had to go through all those delays at the gun shops. You would think somebody would have made damn sure to earmark my file as CLEAN after all I had to do....but noooo.

So long story (sorry) short, the system is FUBAR. Get your CCW and you won't have to deal with their disorganization and BS.

• Like 1

I had A similar experience:

I got a Delay and then a Denial. Sent an online letter to the FBI to find out what was up. The Response: "Fugitive from Justice" Nothing else, no info about who, what, when, or where. They told me I would have to prove I am the person on the warrant before I could get more info from the FBI. I tried for two months to get my fingerprints rolled at the local PD. They were always too busy to fit me in. I am one exit from the police station and would take me all of 5 minutes to get there.

So, one day I got pulled over for a lane change without signaling. This warrant for me came up out of Florida. Now, I haven't lived in Florida since 1994. I moved to the Bahamas in December of 1994 and up here to New Hampshire in 1997. The warrant stems from a traffic stop that I was arrested for, bailed out, went to court, and I thought I complied with all of the terms of the court order. The three month probation was to be terminated upon getting a FL driver's license and paying the fine. I was just finishing college at the time as was still on my MD license. Apparently I got a probation violation for it but it was never entered into the system until they upgraded the files sometime in 2010.

I called the court clerk and was advised to write a letter to the judge explaining what happened and request that the warrant be dismissed. Done, I called 3 weeks later and they said there was no record of receiving the letter I wrote. I got transferred to many other "Sniveling Servants" I got to the Probation Supervisor and she told me to call her the next week as she had to order my files from the archives. More weeks went by with no return of my voice-mails. I started the telephone tag with all the numbers I had, still no response.

My brother lives in Melbourne FL and was going to Miami the next day. He offered to stop in to find out something. I went online to pull up my record to give him the case number. I saw that a hearing happened at 9:00am that morning. So something was happening. Seven weeks go by with no notification of the outcome of the hearing. I email the big cheese at the Probation Department naming names that I talked to and have not gotten any response.

The next evening on the drive home the Probation Supervisor called. She gave me the low down on everything. The Letter generated the hearing. The court clerk requested my files, so when the Super requested them, they were already at the courthouse. She thought she was done with it and that was the reason she never contacted me. Well the judge terminated the probation and dismissed the Warrant. I got a copy of the Court Order emailed to me from the Super.

So I was able to go pick up my Saiga 12 the next day.

Malodave

The irony is that many jurisdictions refuse to honor their warrants for intermediate crimes, because it costs too much to transport the criminals, so they just keep them on file and decline to transport forever. They don't clear the "wants" data or list for a couple of reasons: 1) vacating a bunch of warrants would make you look 'soft on crime' as an official, and if one of the criminals/suspects does something bad, you don't want to be the guy who signed off on clearing his warrant. 2) It is a handy way of getting around constitutional search and seizure/ habeus corpus stuff for the cops. If a guy has a 20 year old active warrant for parking violations, you can stop him, and search him and his car incident to arrest forever, without ever having to establish probable cause. Really handy if you are in LE to be able to stop someone just 'cause you feel like it. Once he takes care of that old warrant, then rights start applying again.

It's a pain because every time you arrest or release these guys, someone has to contact every agency that has a warrant on him and ask when they want him. They will all drag their feet, and eventually decline. It makes a hassle for everyone involved, and costs resources of personnel to deal with this constant rigmarole. My old county had 8 full time people every day and 4 at night earning county tax money and about 3/4 of their job was because of this issue.

Well I did find out what the problem was, unpaid traffic ticket from years ago back east- makes me a fugitive of justice, I've passed a few background checks since then though? I read somewhere as these podunk little towns update their systems and things gradually become more available to the FBI. The kicker is I think I did pay it, but who can find a receipt from 7 years ago when any single dollar didn't last more than a week. I guess ill pay it to expedite things and get my gun and a CCW

Ya that would probably do it. Some times the dont catch it some times they do. I have a friend that is always getting pulled over and travels a lot.(he cant keep his foot off the gas). He has tickets all over. Some times it flags, some times it doesnt.

Dont let them jerk you around though, call em up and settle on a fair ammount to pay them. Some places will try and add all kinds of fees. I try to stay clear of traffic tickets these days and do pretty good. But I had a speeding ticket for around 8 over about 6 years ago or so. It was less than 200 dollar ticket they tried to tack on over 300 bucks in court fees and i was mailing it in! stupid. Needless to say I did not pay those court fees in the end. But they sure try.

The irony is that many jurisdictions refuse to honor their warrants for intermediate crimes, because it costs too much to transport the criminals, so they just keep them on file and decline to transport forever. They don't clear the "wants" data or list for a couple of reasons: 1) vacating a bunch of warrants would make you look 'soft on crime' as an official, and if one of the criminals/suspects does something bad, you don't want to be the guy who signed off on clearing his warrant. 2) It is a handy way of getting around constitutional search and seizure/ habeus corpus stuff for the cops. If a guy has a 20 year old active warrant for parking violations, you can stop him, and search him and his car incident to arrest forever, without ever having to establish probable cause. Really handy if you are in LE to be able to stop someone just 'cause you feel like it. Once he takes care of that old warrant, then rights start applying again.

It's a pain because every time you arrest or release these guys, someone has to contact every agency that has a warrant on him and ask when they want him. They will all drag their feet, and eventually decline. It makes a hassle for everyone involved, and costs resources of personnel to deal with this constant rigmarole. My old county had 8 full time people every day and 4 at night earning county tax money and about 3/4 of their job was because of this issue.

I used to run NCIC's on people coming into and leaving the jail I worked at. It seemed that unless someone was wanted for a violent crime, then most departments wouldn't extradite outside of a pretty small radius. Some departments/counties actually put the radius right on the hit confirmation, so if we weren't within that radius, we wouldn't even bother sending a message.

Basically, you could travel the country and stack up small time warrants, and as long as you never go back to those counties and encounter law enforcement........you'd never spend a day in jail or court. Funny how that works.

I had a delay once...

Come to find out that at the EXACT time my FFL Dealer was processing my form, the computers between NY state and the ATF were doing "routine maintenance" and "down" for about 5 minutes... That LACK of information, due to no communication between computers, created the "delay" state.

3 days later, I picked the rifle up without incident... as my FFL heard NOTHING back from the ATF... go figure. NEVER had any problems at any other time.

000.gif

If you don't have a criminal history and didn't check the boxes that say you're mentally ill or renounced your citizenship then chances are your form wasn't filled out correctly OR your FFL person is under investigation and you're a collateral victim. ATF has a crew in our area this month checking the paperwork on the small gun shops and pawn shops. I doubt they send anyone to harass Walmart, Gander Mtn, or any other big box store with the money to fight back.

Your SSN does not amount to much these days. It's out there every where in places you don't think it is. Not putting it down on a 4473 protects you from nothing.

Not putting it protects you from someone who works there copying it down and selling it. I never use my SSN.

If that was ever a concern of mine, I would be finding a new FFL.

• Like 1