Optics Options

I am just finishing up my Saiga IZ 340 conversion and am debating my next step, optics.

I am having a hard time choosing between these options:

Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 BDC on a side mount rail.

A Red Dot on various mounting methods:

List or Red Dots:

PA Micro Red Dot

Vortex Strikefire

Vortex SPARC

Bushnell TRS-25

Burris FastFire II

Mounting Methods:

Midwest Industries Quadrail (near bottom of my list)

Midwest Industries AKMDM (I really like the placement of the optics using this)

Side Scope Mount (Not necessarily Midwest)

I am leaning towards the Vortex 3-9x40 on a side scope mount, the FastFire II on an AKMDM or the TRS-25 on a AKMDM...

Which would you choose? Which have you used? Which are absolute no-go's in your mind??

I know all of these are 'budget optics' but as they are going on my AK-74M I will be backpacking with, and running and gunning with a lot, I dont want to pay for an EOTech or Aimpoint. I run an EOTech on my AR15 with a 3x magnifier, it is way too bulky for an AK, I want something light and cheap.

I also cant justify spending over 300 on a scope for this rifle, which is why I am looking at the Vortex.

Edited by janus408

I'm running the TRS-25 on this mount on my 7.62. In my opinion it's a decent setup. To start with the TRS, I think it's a great little RDS. Holds zero perfectly, and the dot size is fine for out to 100 yards. It has some starburst indoors if the brightness is too high, but outdoors, it's very clean and clear, regardless of the brightness. The mount has also been fantastic. I originally had a scope mounted to it on my 5.45. After taking in on and off several (10+) times, it still held zero perfectly. After using it on the 7.62 with the TRS, I have both removed the mount from the rifle AND removed the sight from the mount, then changed it's position on the mount and reinstalled everything. After this, it still held zero perfectly at 100 yards. Pretty decent for a ~$130 combo.

I'll go ahead and second the Russian optics. I have a PK-01V sitting on mine, and I love it. Built like a tank.

Another nice thing about the PK-01V, is that it has a 1.5 MOA dot. The nearest american red dot that I could find was 1.75 MOA, and that sight cost over a thousand dollars.

any of those optics would work better with a tws dog leg gen 2 top cover mount. I've got two of them on different guns and love them if you get a trs 25 red dot or similar it will cowitness with the factory front post and peep site they sell. So far they seem to hold zero really well. I have a huge 6x24x44 scope on the other gun and it has held zero great.

Yeah, the Ruskie stuff is heavy, but it gives my weak capitalist arms a workout. A good thing about them is that if you run out of ammo, you can detach the sight and beat the adversary to death with it, then return it to the rifle without losing zero. this works on anything up to and including an Abrams tank.

as for servicing, this can be performed with a hammer, some rye bread and a pack of cigarettes.

Seriously though, you probably wont need the rye bread...

But if you are interested in Russian optics, Hearken to TX-Zen. He has the best reviews on a slew of Russian equipment. You will not find a better resource anywhere outside the Kremlin.