Overgassing causing bolt carrier to beat trunnion

so i have a saiga 7.62x39 and it is overgassed..io changed the recoil spring to wolff extra power and the carrier still hits the trunnion pretty good..i bout a 1/16th cobalt bit and was wondering if i drilled a small hole in the gas block if that would vent some of the excess gas and stop the violentaction...? n e input appreciated..

lol dont do it

or do it and then post the hilarious story that ensues.

Go get yourself what is called a blackjack ak buffer. It will stop your precious little rear from getting all banged and torn up.

I have a couple on my 2 most active rifles. No marks to be found. All is good.

p.s. I dont think that it should be called overgassed, and I dont think that a dent @ rear trunnion is a problem either. But I understand the desire to keep everything as pretty as possible, as I do the same.

pps- I used to have an extra power spring in one of my rifles, but I somehow started to think that maybe the bolt shouldnt be slammed home so hard, so I took it out. Id rather have to put in a new rear trunnion than have to mess with headspace/new front parts due to an overly slammed breech face/ bolt face.

Edited by Agent Lemon
  • Like 1
  • should i get another buffer

Sorry, what?

Another one? If you have one installed then it should not be banging on anything in there. I have one installed and the rear trunnion is good as new. This is the one that I have and personally know that works-

http://store.carolin...47-SAIGA/Detail

Looks like this when installed.

Its a piece of tough plasticy rubber that stops the metal to metal contact

Man, that flash on that camera really exposes the poor job that I did coloring in those markings... I better clean those smudges up. It looks gross.

post-36320-0-86572100-1344736668_thumb.jpg

i had one and i fucked it up..it seems like with a buffer the distance the carrier has to travel is shorter so now it would be makin contact everytime...could that b bad on the rivits/

The rivits?

I never had a problem with the carrier traveling a quarter inch too little. How would this be bad on the rivets? If anything, I would assume that it would be worse on the rivets if there was hard metal on metal contact every time that that the gun cycles.

How would it be making contact everytime if the buffer is keeping it from having contact at all? What contact of what components where?

How did you fuck up your old buffer?

Not to be a dick, but if you could organize your writing better, and add more details, then it'd be easier to understand.

• Like 1

Buy an extra ak spring cut it down into 4 pcs. Take one of the 1/4 pcs cut it in half add that to your spring and try it. If it fails thats too much, take a coil out. If that doesn't fix it, you need remove the extra pieces and add the buffer. Your other option is remove the current gas block, weld up the holes and redrill the correct size

Buy an extra ak spring cut it down into 4 pcs. Take one of the 1/4 pcs cut it in half add that to your spring and try it. If it fails thats too much, take a coil out. If that doesn't fix it, you need remove the extra pieces and add the buffer. Your other option is remove the current gas block, weld up the holes and redrill the correct size

thank you that helps

It's not all that simple....let me explain....

*Normally*...the bolt should not contact the rear trunion at all. Maybe once for every ten times....but not always. See here--->

Now....if we add a buffer, then it will "always" hit the rear (although "softer")....instead of NOT hitting at all 9 times out of ten. So...even with a buffer, and accepting the fact that the buffer softens the blow, you then modded the gun to have contact made every time. Not sure this is better than not having it hit.

I would try a Wolf slightly-stronger spring....or....cut the buffer to maybe 1/2 thickness.....you get some benefit of a softer hit, but you also don't have it be so thick so it impedes the total range of bolt carrier motion.

Edited by IPSC45

i have the spring and it helped a little bit but it still hits sometimes..its mushrooming where the bolt contacts the carrier a little bit it doesnt look horrible or anything..im just wondering if i dont get a buffer or something it might eventually beat it self to death..this is my favorite gun and i love the shit outta it..i shoot like 3 times a week and i know an ak has a long life span i just hope mine does..

i have the spring and it helped a little bit but it still hits sometimes..its mushrooming where the bolt contacts the carrier a little bit it doesnt look horrible or anything..im just wondering if i dont get a buffer or something it might eventually beat it self to death..this is my favorite gun and i love the shit outta it..i shoot like 3 times a week and i know an ak has a long life span i just hope mine does..

It shouldn't be contacting at all. But if you install the buffer, and the buffer doens't cause a short stroke issue (not allowing the gun to cycle properly) the buffer does inface create contact on every shot, but the buffer takes the damage, not the carrier/bolt.

Are you sure it's still hitting and this isn't just the old damage? Try putting some marker ink on the trunion/ bolt and carrier, fire a shot take a look and see if the marker has rubbed off anywhere. If so then yes you still have an issue. If not, try a few more shots and check again. If you still see wear, add the buffer, or upgrade your spring (prefered option) till you get it right. IF you go witht he buffer route just keep in mind that you'll have to eventually replace the buffer. It's still cheaper than replacing gun parts.

ya its hittin every time almost some harder than others...i used maskin tape and it took 5 shots to put holes in the tape where there was contact..so i have a wolff extra power and my spare spring..was thinkin bout takin a small section off the old spring and adding it to the guide with the wolff extra power..