New Saiga 12 ammo

Hi everyone. I am new to the boards but glad to be here. I took my Saiga 12 out for the first time today and got about 6 rounds through it and every one of them had an eject issue. I was using Winchester Super X game loads 2 3/4" 1 oz. I was on the number 2 setting for the gas adjustment. I did some reading after getting home and but I am new and would like a sanity check.

The 1 oz is probably a little light and could be part of my problem. From what I have been reading this gun shouldn't be too selective on what ammo to use.

I did strip it anc check the ports and I do have 3 holes showing through the gas block.

Do you guys think it's a ammo break in issue or shoulf I try something else??

I appreciate the help.

This is a common and fixable issue, for many just running a few hundred rounds of heavier ammo breaks the gun in for shooting the lighter stuff, others have to open up their "often 3" gas ports a little wider as I did or do other tweaks..... I recommend trying a few things that you can read about on this amazing forum though the problem may just be you simply need the oil the gun or break it in using heaviy 1.25+ loads.

Edited by Bagels

Put a little gun oil on your carrier and rails.

Hand-cycle the action repeatedly while you listen to music or watch TV (although doing it through commercials works best)

Buy a couple of those 100rd (bulk) boxes of Winchester or Federal or Remington from Walmart

Go shoot up those 200rd of birdshot and be patient and prepared to hand-eject most of the first 100rds by hand

There is nothing wrong with your weapon. It just needs breaking in.

Put a little gun oil on your carrier and rails.

Hand-cycle the action repeatedly while you listen to music or watch TV (although doing it through commercials works best)

Buy a couple of those 100rd (bulk) boxes of Winchester or Federal or Remington from Walmart

Go shoot up those 200rd of birdshot and be patient and prepared to hand-eject most of the first 100rds by hand

There is nothing wrong with your weapon. It just needs breaking in.

Just what he said. Solved my FTE issue. I hand cycle the bolt 500 plus times. Just this weekend I cycled rounds through one those most hated ProMag drums, the firearm fuctioned great. From the hip unsopported not one failure. I have not done nothing to my Saiga 12.

Rack that bolt back and let it fly home 500 times.

Fortunately enough I have a friend that hunts and had some old lead shells in high brass both 2 3/4 and 3" that he gave me and I ran that thru and it worked great, and was fun and more shooting. My shoulder took a beating before I put a slip on butt pad on. No pain no gain.

Thanks for the feed back team. I will get on that this weekend. I found a decent deal on some 1 1/8 OZ shells at a sporting goods store so that will be some of my burn up ammo and I will also get some hotter stuff to help too. I will drive the wife crazy by doing the bolt cycling trick the rest of the week.. should be fun.

Some of the people on here, whom are FAR more knowledgeable than I am, suggested that I sand a few surfaces to remove the paint and allow the bolt to travel with less resistance. I sanded bolt carrier where it contacts the rails, I sanded the rails, and I sanded the face of the hammer where it contacts the bolt carrier. Dripped a bit of lube onto the now exposed rails, and my gun functions at 100% now!