coolest buttstock for saiga 12?

I need input to decide how to configure my Saiga 12 pg conversion. What do you guys think looks/functions the best. [i may add a red dot sight to the siderail].I noticed that not very many people seem to add a regular AK type buttstock-even in NATO length-Is there a reason for this? :smoke:

I need input to decide how to configure my Saiga 12 pg conversion. What do you guys think looks/functions the best. [i may add a red dot sight to the siderail].I noticed that not very many people seem to add a regular AK type buttstock-even in NATO length-Is there a reason for this? :smoke:

Black polymer fixed buttstock looks and works the best, IMO.

If you want a folder, the Ace folder seems to be the best, but I haven't tried one myself and am only going on what others have said.

As far as telescoping I had a CAR-15 type stock on mine from TAPCO. Then I went traditional and put the warsaw pact length black polymer on. IN ANY CASE: GET THE GRENADE LAUNCHING BUTTSTOCK PAD. Gives the length that feels right and a larger surface to seat in your shoulder. Mo'betta!

saiga12bmf9eb.jpg

Since you mention it, I'll be working on adapting this one, if compatible:

I recently installed an Ace folder and took it to the game farm for "testing". Absolutley loved it. length of pull, recoil, control, all better than expected. 62 birds(out of 100 but not due to lack of proper equipment) for 5 of us and a great day of putting some rounds through my s-12. I would highly reccomend this stock. Also check out Ace's socom folder. If any one has this on an s-12 let me know what you think. Love my skeleton but the socom looks like an interesting option, and I think it telescopes. Actually I think all Ace stocks can attatch as folders and they have a couple telescoping models.

Ace makes adapters that let you use an AR telestock or their SOCOM with the folding mechanism -- Folding and telescoping.

Had an ACE Galil-type folder; hated it. Installed the ACE "pig nose" adapter and a 6-position AR stock; LOVE it!! I've long maintained that folding stocks are for storage, adjustable stocks are for shooting.

I've got the FSE Krink-style nonfolding stock on my other Saiga-12. Like it well enough, but you might as well go with a standard AK stock instead (I happened to have mine laying around from a previous project).

saiga12_pair.jpg

Ace makes adapters that let you use an AR telestock or their SOCOM with the folding mechanism -- Folding and telescoping.

Had an ACE Galil-type folder; hated it. Installed the ACE "pig nose" adapter and a 6-position AR stock; LOVE it!! I've long maintained that folding stocks are for storage, adjustable stocks are for shooting.

I've got the FSE Krink-style nonfolding stock on my other Saiga-12. Like it well enough, but you might as well go with a standard AK stock instead (I happened to have mine laying around from a previous project).

saiga12_pair.jpg

I like the look of the AMD plastic pistol grips on those. Good use for them too, I know most guys don't use them on AKs because of parts count (not a problem in Saiga12) :)

Steve, is that an Ultimak handguard? This might have been dicussed before but if it is, I am curious as to how you installed it. I've got a TDI on my 7.62 maadi with the tri rails and would like one on my s-12. I just haven't figured out a good way to do it. I'm pretty sure the TDI and Ultimak are very close to the same. Thanks

Steve, is that an Ultimak handguard? This might have been dicussed before but if it is, I am curious as to how you installed it. I've got a TDI on my 7.62 maadi with the tri rails and would like one on my s-12. I just haven't figured out a good way to do it. I'm pretty sure the TDI and Ultimak are very close to the same. Thanks

No that's the standard K-VAR USA black polymer lower handguard with the interior walls milled out to accept the wider barrel. You can see the way it looks like vents on the side when the material behind the slats is removed. Also pulled the heat shield of course. Made a very simple handguard retainer from a thick piece of sheet metal, bolts to the sling swivel and a hole I cut in the metal lip on the front of the handguard.

Here's my project a while back. I made a receiver block and welded it to a shortened Galil folder with an ACE 1" pad. Also used the same US AK74 style hand guard from K VAR ( It's a little wider than some others as a lot of material has to be milled out in the rear). Tantals has a Tri rail AK 74 style hand guard, but I don't know if it's wide enough to cut on? I can't speak for other stock styles, but the Galil (actual, not Tapco copy) folding stock is rock solid and pulls from folded to open/locked very easily. GunBroker shopping found complete stock,less butt pad and fabricated block for $95. Tony Rumore had some weld on back plates for sale that might make a Galil stock mount up a little easier if your up to projects.

post-1866-1128396771_thumb.jpg

post-1866-1128397021_thumb.jpg

Edited by 6500rpm

I've got the ace folder and it is awesome. Mine is the small stock with 1in buttpad. When combined with the old style receiver block it makes a good length. I agree with steve467, the WARSAW length stocks are not only more traditional, but feel better to the shooter (IMHO). American stocks always seem too long to me.

Recoil pad stays on in various ways. If you're working with the skeleton triangle stock, it's a belt. Unfortunately, the pad doesn't fit snugly at all, so it moves around a lot and can slide off even with the belt. However, I'd suggest molding it to the stock with a resin of some sort. Then it stays on very well, and the resin acts to absorb even more shock.

If you're working with non-skeletal stocks, it slips on snugly enough that it doesn't really fall off. If you need to, you can still cut a notch in your stock to pass the belt through.

This is one of the many reasons I'd suggest the ACE over the triangle. The ACE has very secured recoil pads that aren't a pain in the butt to make fit. Also, that triangle is a SHORT stock...it's made for siberian soldiers in winter jackets. The ACE has a much better length of pull, IMO. However, nothing looks better than an AK with the triangular folder.

Anyway, hope this helps. Have a good one.

I'm 5"4' (Asian genes) and the Warsaw length AK stocks are perfect for me. I put a shortened ACE stock with receiver block on my Saiga and it works really ok (and looks badass!) but if I'm not careful, the folding mechanism will bop me in the nose when firing heavy slugs. It's also absolutely unacceptable when prone (though I don't know how prone you can get with the 8rnd mag).

I would REALLY like to go to the ACE internal block for this reason. Then I could push the folder mechanism out to farther away from my nose. I want to add a pig-nose adapter and M4-telestock so I can lengthen the stock when prone. A VLTOR would probably be "The coolest" stock you can put on the Saiga. Or maybe the MagPul AR stock, if you like the robot look.

Can ANYONE tell me if the ACE internal receiver block can be used even if you don't cut the tang? I don't wanna cut my tang...:-(

For the CAR stock, does it go on easily?  Or is a stock adapter needed?  Could I just get CAR Kit or would I need the adapter for the stamped or milled receivers?  Thanks!

I'd go for the ACE adaptor over the TAPCO M4 stock with built in adaptor since the Tapco is plastic. We are talking about a shotgun here. Tapco makes that same stock for paintball guns which makes more since to me.

Yeh, the tang must be cut to properly install the internal reciever block. In my opinion the Ace butstock is head and shoulders above the rest. If it was possible to standardize mounting, this would be the way to do it. I am by no means a design engineer, but I know an excellent design when I see it. Simple, effective, quality materials, and on top of it all when I was shopping for mine I called Ace and the owner(I assume) informed me that he was out of stock of the internal blocks, but he had no problem referring me to several of his distributers. The guy was top notch. Don't be afraid to lop off that tang and throw in an Ace block, there are several folding and fixed choices that can be installed and I get the feeling Ace will be in buisness for a long time to come.

Steve467: How do you like that optic you have in the picture? It looks good to me and I was thinking of getting one. Is there a tint in the glass? Thanks.

I really like the PK-AS because it doesn't require batteries, makes a nice black dot with no battery, and a bright red dot with batteries. I also like the way the whole tube moves when you sight it in, instead of just moving the dot within the field-of-view. The dot is always centered in the optic regardless of how much you adjust it (which can be alot with AK sidemounts...) No tint noted on this. I must warn you though that the PK-AS-V is designed to be used either with the right eye in CQB with the head vertical or the left eye when a cheekweld is obtained. This is hard to get used to for some guys, but it's the Russian shooting style. I think the PK-AS-S is centered over the receiver in the traditional western style if that's what you are used to.

• 1 month later...
As far as telescoping I had a CAR-15 type stock on mine from TAPCO. Then I went traditional and put the warsaw pact length black polymer on. IN ANY CASE: GET THE GRENADE LAUNCHING BUTTSTOCK PAD. Gives the length that feels right and a larger surface to seat in your shoulder. Mo'betta!

saiga12bmf9eb.jpg

Ready to Rock! :super: