Shell casing Dents

I remember long ago,a topic addressing this prob but couldnt find it. I tiook my Saigas ,7.62x39 and my 12 gauge Saiga out this afternoon and had a good time. I noticed the brass casing for my 7.62 had dented the shell casings,as I was picking up the brass. Seemed they all had this dent. Gun fired perfect even with this,problem? Can Any one describe whats goingon,, for me?? Thx.. Roger

Edited by Mokanracer

When the shell is ejected, it strikes the charging handle, denting the case just below the shoulder. This happens with any AK that has a stock charging handle. If you remove the charging handle, go to a left-side charging handle, this problem is eliminated.

When the shell is ejected, it strikes the charging handle, denting the case just below the shoulder. This happens with any AK that has a stock charging handle. If you remove the charging handle, go to a left-side charging handle, this problem is eliminated.

I thought it was from hitting the dust cover?

You're correct. I misremembered. Heh, looked up some high-speed videos just to check. It is from the dust cover, not the charging handle. Moving the charging handle will do nothing.

*stands corrected*

Do not worry about these dents, they will be ironed out with reloading. The slight mark after resizing the brass is just that, a mark!

I have reloaded a bunch of them.....even those evil ones with the "stepped chamber" without any issues.

Do not worry about these dents, they will be ironed out with reloading. The slight mark after resizing the brass is just that, a mark!

I have reloaded a bunch of them.....even those evil ones with the "stepped chamber" without any issues.

^ This is very bad advice. Your dies will not fully iron out the dent, and that area IS weakened. While it isn't 100% definitely going to happen, when you leave a weak spot you increase the chance of your case wall blowing out when the cartridge is fired. Usually this will only result in a broken shell that needs to be extracted.

This is exactly right. I have reloaded and fired thousands of dented cases multiple times from multiple firearms. As a side note - neither the large dent or the fluted chamber marks from HK and Cetme style rifles harm the brass for reloading either.

If you don't want to use them, I'd be happy to pay the shipping from you to me and use them myself.

^ This is very bad advice. Your dies will not fully iron out the dent, and that area IS weakened. While it isn't 100% definitely going to happen, when you leave a weak spot you increase the chance of your case wall blowing out when the cartridge is fired. Usually this will only result in a broken shell that needs to be extracted.

Really....Bad advise? I think not! I guess my years of reloading have failed me!

No they will not be "fully ironed out", but they are still very useful. Anyone that reloads should have or should learn to understand pressures and the signs. Inspect your cases always for signs of weak points as they occure!

My guess Is that you remove every piece of brass that looks different?

Not trying to get into a pissing match....just want to know why you think reloading dented brass is an issue. More so if you know what to look for!

• Like 1

Do not worry about these dents, they will be ironed out with reloading.

^ This is very bad advice.

This is exactly right.

my-brain-is-full-of-fuck.jpg

• Like 2

Does this happen with all Saigas? Is there a way to modify the action or housing to prevents this from happening? Or perhaps an aftermarket dust cover that is tried and true?

All AKs, no matter what variant, will do this. Some people put window trim or other concoctions on there, but it looks ridiculous.

• Like 1