Converting my Saiga. Need advice.

OK, I finaly worked up the nerve to convert my Saiga. On the instructions that we all know so well Here, I am on Step 4. I need to cut the grip hole, but that is for another day. Right now I need to double check and make sure I am getting all the parts I need. I am planing on getting the parts at www.midwestarmory.com. Do they still give us here a discount on stuff?

I am getting the Stock Set Combo. Specificly I want to get the Adjustable Black set so I can change the length of pull depending on the weather.

I'm also going to get the G2 U.S. Trigger Group from there as well. Has anyone used this trigger/is it any good?

Last question. Do all the parts that I need to complete the conversion come in those packages. Like the grip nut and screw for the stock and such.

Thank you everyone for you're help. I have gone from a lurker, to a Saiga owner, to doing my own conversion. I can't wait to get it done.

Right on man!!! MWA is the place to go for your stuff. I got all my conv. parts there. I think you'll really like the adjustable stock. I got it and i love it.

I also got a G2 FCG from there. The difference between the G2 and the stock trigger is night and day. The G2 is an excellent trigger group.

The grip nut and screw depend on what grip you got. The stock set you are looking at comes with a SAW style grip, which comes with a mounting screw, but does not come with a nut. I ordered my nut from blackjackbuffers, because at the time, MWA did not sell the nuts, i believe they do now though. The guys at MWA are awesome people to deal with.

MWA has a deal going on right now that if you buy a G2 FCG, you can get a free US made flass supressor. Its kinda AR15 style but they look pretty good. Think he is still doing free shipping too

If you need help aquiring a feed ramp, let me know...

Hope this helps

HOOP

Edited by hoop762

I have a US compliance kit consisting of a trigger, hammer, disconnector (they have a C, Century?), pistol grip and gas piston to convert my Saiga. I intend to make a buttstock to avoid using the gas piston. All I need is to do the conversion and add a feed ramp. I intend to use the US made magazines by ProMag to add three more US parts. I'm looking for US magazine floorplates, I already have US followers from Tapco which function well.

I heard that it's hard to remove the gas piston and that the rifle may not function properly with the replacement piston. I also hear that it's hard to stake the new piston. Can other members who changed gas pistons let us know of their experiences?

Replacing the piston is no big deal really. I've replaced the ones on my S-12 and my AK with ease. The Saiga is even easier than the AK because instead of having to find the pin to drill out all you have to do is drill out the dimples where it was pressed in. By the way JA gave me a cool tip for finding the pin on a regular AK. You just take a permanent marker and color over the area where it's located and quickly wipe it back off and it leaves a circle or at least a mark where the edge of the pin is peened. If someone said their's didn't function right afterward they must not have done it right or got the wrong length piston as a replacement. Just drill the dimples out with a bit about the same size as the dimple or a little smaller untill you get through to the threads on the piston. Do this on both sides. measure exactly how long your bolt carrier/piston is before unscrewing it. Then secure the bolt carrier in a vise with padding and unscrew the factory piston with some vice grips also padded. I used a piece of leather and a big rubber band. Put some locktite on the threads of the bolt carrier and screw in the new piston to the point where it measures exactly the same as the old one. Some people then drill all the way through the piston and press fit a pin through the dimples, cut it off on both sides close to the carrier, and peen the ends to fill the dimples, then sand it down flush with the outsides of the carrier. I chose the easier route I have heard of many people doing and just flattened the threads out some through the dimple holes and then took a larger punch (just slightly larger than the hole) and repunched both sides. After plenty of shooting mine have not budged. I think re pinning it is overkill.