This is it. This is my last one.........

photobucket-3306-1345007571590.jpg

I'm done. I just smoked my last cigarette. I hate to say it, but I'm not doing it for health & wellness reasons. I'm doing it because it's too damned expensive. (OK, well maybe partially due to health reasons. I helped a friend of the family bale hay last month or so, and I literally thought my lungs were going to explode out of my chest.)

I threw out all of my lighters, too. I'm thinking it's going to be hard, because many of my friends and family smoke, and I'm not going to ask them to not smoke around me, just because I quit. But I think I'll just keep my distance for a little while, at least.

So wish me luck. amazing.gif

On the bright side, I'm going to be putting the money I save (probably close to $150/month) towards finally getting a motorcycle. I've wanted one since as far back as my memory stretches. I think it will be a good reward to myself. I'm pretty set on the Yamaha WR250R. It's dirt cheap on insurance and gas (rated @ 71MPG, but most are reporting about 50-60MPG) and from what I hear, is fun as hell, even for a little 250. I can also dick around with it off-road in the winter time. Something I couldn't do, had I gone with most other street bikes.

img.jpg?id=16733&class=lrg

She's sexy, eh? The only thing I want really want to do to it, is swap out the factory tail light/tag holder setup for a low-profile one, and then get the Highway Dirtbike hanguards with retractable mirrors. I've seen videos of them being installed, and it looks fairly easy.......and really cleans up the look of the bike.

So hopefully my journey is successful.smile.png

• Like 11

Cold Turkey is the way to go. It only takes 3 days for nicotine to get out of your system. Avoid moderate and heavy drinking until you get some time behind you. I quit about 6 months ago. It really isn't as bad as people make it out to be. To quote Henry Ford, whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

• Like 1

Those are two good ideas. Link them. Make a contract with a friend. If you start smoking again he gets the bike. That will help with the motivation.

Also, I think the mirrors/ barkbuster combos are great. I might want standard mirrors too, that I could take off at the trail head. I love the ones Ducatti put on the hypomotard. I would basically want those with a stronger spine for a bike like yours.

• Like 1

Go for it, Shooter! It's been 11years for me, after using tobacco for 24 years. The only thing I can say that might possibly help is that you've got to want to stop more than you crave the nicotine. Right now, it seems like you have your mind in the right place.

• Like 1

Shit is hard to do. It took me three real tries to quit (cold turkey, too) before I was able to kick the habit. Its going on almost a year since I had my last smoke and I can't even imagine lighting up now. It only took about 3 months before I 95% of my cravings. You just gotta hang with it, fight real hard, and refuse to give up even when you slip up.

• Like 1

Thanks, fellas.beer.gif

I forgot to mention in the OP, that yeah, I will be doing this cold-turkey. No patches, pills, etc.

It's 10:30 right now. Been up since about 7. My morning routine is to wake up, take a leak, and then go outside for a smoke. EVERY morning, no matter what, for years. So it feels weird not having had my morning smoke. I feel a little irritable already.haha.gif

So far so good. There's literally 2 packs of smokes sitting within reach right now (my brother-in-laws). They're some weird shitty brand, but they do look really good right now, lol.

replace smoking with a healthy habit, working out

walking for a few min instead of smoking.

chew gum (normal gum) for some the oral fixation is part of it

or when my mom was trying to quit when I was a kid, for every time we caught her smoking we got $5 :)

• Like 1

Keep it up. I have been trying to put down the pipe for weeks now. I have bought the patches, but have not started them. So far, everyday I plan to quit tomorrow.

Keep up the good work. Like HOG76 said, it takes three days for your body to adjust to the removal of nicotine. Nicotine blocks up nerve receptors, your body opens new ones to process nerve messages, when the nicotine deposits "wear-off", there are more impulses being receive by the receptors - this causes the nervousness. More nicotine clogs them up again, so you 'feel' better after smoking.

The first day you are the worst, by the second day your body is starting to shut down/close the extra receptors. By roughly 72 hours it has closed the extra ones completely off. After that, it is strictly the "mental obsession (habit)" part that you need to break.

Knowing is half the battle, now getting off my rear and doing something is the other part I need to put into practice.

• Like 1

Good luck man, I wish you well.

Once you get past the first 6 weeks( for me anyways) it will get better. The old routine will be forgotten(kinda lol, you will always remember that smoke) and you will feel better, breath better, have more energy, and more money(the plus). If it helps have an occasional smoke. But dont let it take hold of you again. You will enjoy that spending money. I eventually got to where I dont even like smoking anymore. Maybe its just this new shit they put in them. I havnt tried any of the natural smokes lately.

Ah and a big plus for the chewing gum suggestion. I started chewing a piece of gum (sugar free or the dentist will love you!)on the way to work instead of the cig and it helped a ton to replace that desire to be doing something while driving.

Good luck again!

Edited by Chevyman097
  • Like 1

On the bike, are you looking at new or used? Used is a great option because so many people want to learn on a 250 that they have excellent resale after the initial depreciation hit. Typically they lose very little, some friends of mine even made money.

Dont let anyone talk you out of the 250. TONS of riders have the standard 'bigger is better' american mentality and will chastise your tiny bike, but there are plenty of youtube videos showing 250's eat supersports. Nothing handles better, and an experienced rider can maintain speed so that the smaller engine is less of an issue. Its a LOT more fun to flog a 250 on the street than use barely 5% of a literbikes capability.

• Like 2

I was a smoker for five years and quit cold turkey and my fiancee's family all smoke so it was definitely hard. The real eye opener for me was my fiancee's dad passed this past sunday from his bout with cancer mostly due to his smoking 2 packs a day for 50 years but he also was a vietnam vet so there is no telling what shit he was exposed too while there. He was only 61 years old which is young. So stick with it and get through the first 30 days without using any patches or anything and you can quit. Or do like I did come home drink 3 beers every night and no cigarettes if you can make it through that quitting will be easy.

• Like 1

I read somewhere that cravings last for only about 15 minutes. So when you get one just think to yourself it will only be for a short while. I just wish i could take my own advice.

• Like 1

I always say if you want to quit smoking, get sick. Do everything you can to get a killer flu. Get a few days off work, feel like shit, and when you are done with it, never have a cigarette again. It's how I quit 6 years ago and never looked back.

• Like 1

On the bike, are you looking at new or used? Used is a great option because so many people want to learn on a 250 that they have excellent resale after the initial depreciation hit. Typically they lose very little, some friends of mine even made money.

Dont let anyone talk you out of the 250. TONS of riders have the standard 'bigger is better' american mentality and will chastise your tiny bike, but there are plenty of youtube videos showing 250's eat supersports. Nothing handles better, and an experienced rider can maintain speed so that the smaller engine is less of an issue. Its a LOT more fun to flog a 250 on the street than use barely 5% of a literbikes capability.

That's how it used to be, but people trying to save $$ on gas have picked all of them up around here. That's part of why I ended up with a 650. You could get a mid range bike cheaper than a low cc "beginner bike" I was watching ads for about a year before I got mine and 250 CC street legal enduros of any non chinese brand seem to stay steady at $2000-2500 even if they are 20 years old.

I do agree about the light nimble bikes being fun though. It seems like EPA killed the best of them though, and all the 2 cycle cycles are getting older every day. I would love a proper dirt bike in that size range with turn signals etc added on. They feel different than factory duo sports.

I could live with a cross breed like this though: http://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/3200586154.html

• Like 1