This is it. This is my last one.........

Shooter I have been tthinking about quitting for some time now i think i'm going to try again right now so I hope to follow thru I quit for 8 months using an E-cig untill my mother passed away two years ago and I started up again. Now it's time to stop. Good luck i know i will need it

• Like 1

Hey Shooter, I has been 7 years for me. Used to be 2 packs on a Friday night. I still would love a cig now and again but I have tried one years later and it is nasty.

It is all in your head, my advice:

Keep busy the first few weeks

I smoked my last one went to bed and instead of running to buy smokes the next morning I went and bought a shit load of hard candy (jolly-rancher, blow pops, werthers, jaw breakers, hot tamale etc.. toothpicks are good too).

Everyday literally tell yoursef a loud "I don't smoke" it really helps

Most important Don't buy cigarretes

Good luck I hope you quit!

• Like 1

Good luck to you!

Get some hard candy to suck on when you have a craving. Keep a pen in your pocket to write down, "I'm not going to fucking smoke." every time you need one.

Oral and digital fixation is a big part of quitting. Have something to chew on and tinker with in your hands..... It will help out a lot.

Halls menthol drops will also help a little. It too is addictive and I see you were smoking newports? just dont OD on the drops!

YOU CAN DO IT!

Just think how cool that Saiga will look across your handle bars!

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies and tips. Much appreciated.

Sad to say..............I only made it about 12 hours, lol. While not trying to make excuses, I do have a lot on my plate right now. Which was topped off with finding out today that I have an interview with the old company I used to work for (which is a good thing, just more on my plate). I will say though, that my first smoke after that 12 hour absence (which is literally unheard of for me), was weird. I got all lightheaded, hahahaha. Newport 100's ain't no joke!

I think my timing is just off. I'm not giving up entirely. Not at all. I recently completely quit drinking soda (which is also unheard of for me), and only drink water and sometimes juice now. I have faith that I can quit smokes, too. Just not right this moment.

So again, thanks for all the replies. I appreciate it (and thank you, Cobra, for the reverse psychology!biggrin.png ). One thing I know I'm going to do the next time around, is the candy/regular gum thing. My dad chewed regular gum when he quit years ago, and it worked for him.

On the bike, are you looking at new or used? Used is a great option because so many people want to learn on a 250 that they have excellent resale after the initial depreciation hit. Typically they lose very little, some friends of mine even made money.

Dont let anyone talk you out of the 250. TONS of riders have the standard 'bigger is better' american mentality and will chastise your tiny bike, but there are plenty of youtube videos showing 250's eat supersports. Nothing handles better, and an experienced rider can maintain speed so that the smaller engine is less of an issue. Its a LOT more fun to flog a 250 on the street than use barely 5% of a literbikes capability.

I'm not sure if I'm looking for new or used. But from what I've found, the WR250R seems to hold it's value really well, so I might just be better off buying new (or a last-year's model leftover). There's not really that much of a difference in new/used, with this specific bike at least, from what I've seen.

...........and no worries. I hear you on the engine size issue. I've been researching the hell out of this bike, and even experienced riders who've been riding 20+ years hop on this thing and love it. I'm not looking for something fast, or something that needs to tear up 60 degree incline hills at light speed, or anything extreme. I just want a fun bike to putt around on, and the WR250R seems to fit that bill perfectly. I've subscribed to AccidentalBroadcast's videos on YouTube. He does video blogs while riding his WRR, and every time I watch his videos, I want one more and more. It's more than capable, for what I want it to do. He's got a 290cc bore kit on it, but he also does more offroad riding than I plan to. I'll be fine with the stocker engine.

Here's one of his videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cur4MUZ75fg&hd=1

Man, I can't tell you how to quit, but I can tell you how I quit. I was severely addicted to nicotine - 1.5 -2 packs of Marlboro red a day. I had a hell of a time with cold turkey. I used nicotine patches, and big disclaimer, I used this method and don't recommend it for anyone else under any circumstances.

I hate to admit it, but one patch wasn't enough. I needed a patch and a half to start, and every time I needed a smoke, i would reach over and poke one with my index finger for an extra boost of nicotine. Each day that went by, I would apply the patches and snip about 1/8" off the width of the top (partial) patch, until I was down to one. Anytime I really felt the need for a smoke, I continued to reach over and give the patch a little "goose". From there, every day i reduced the remaining patch by about 1/8" every day, and when it was down to about 1/4" I just cut that in half and stuck it on.

I didn't even realize the patch had fallen off in the shower on the final day. I hadn't felt the need for a smoke, and until I stepped back into the shower stall and saw that little bitty piece of patch on the shower floor, I realized I hadn't thought about a smoke all day. I was done.

Thats how it worked for me. Whatever works for you works for you. Good luck! Keep quitting until you quit.

• Like 1

haha.gif

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Point & laugh at him I told you so!!!! 021.gif

You don't want a bike after all! Besides that'll just make you wanna move back to SC so you can cruise the strip without a helmet and pick up beach babes! You wouldn't want that.....

Still tryin here shhhhhh....

• Like 3

I see there is a lot of dribble on this, so I will keep it short.

I pay ten bucks a carton for my smokes. The ONLY time i could actually quit was when i did not smoke one in the morning, and had none left from the day before to smoke....

I hope you kick it.

I personally, do not wish to live forever. I just want my end to be quick, when it comes. I honestly dont give a shit, after that.....

• Like 2

You will find yourself 'quitting' every time you stub one out, right up until the time that you actually DO quit. When that happens - have a good dinner and DON'T smoke. Have a night drinking and DON'T smoke. Get laid and DON'T smoke. The only way I could ever make it stick is to deliberately NOT smoke when I was in one of the situations where I would unconsciously light up. Best of luck to you, it IS an addiction, and can be beaten, but it NEVER completely goes away.

• Like 2

You will find yourself 'quitting' every time you stub one out, right up until the time that you actually DO quit. When that happens - have a good dinner and DON'T smoke. Have a night drinking and DON'T smoke. Get laid and DON'T smoke. The only way I could ever make it stick is to deliberately NOT smoke when I was in one of the situations where I would unconsciously light up. Best of luck to you, it IS an addiction, and can be beaten, but it NEVER completely goes away.

well said GOB. those are the times when us smokers seem to want one most.

• Like 1

Almost two decades now, smokeless... Not to mention, no alcohol, drugs or coffee.

Sorry GOB, I have to disagree with ya.

I have ZERO thought/desire for another cig, joint/line, drink or whatever.

I used to say, "Once an addict, always an addict." but that is just not true.

• Like 3