Anyone tried the TAPCO 30 rd. mags?

Saw them online for $9 each which had me initially thinking they must be hot garbage, but over 200 buyer reviews were generally favorable. Out of those reviews about 1/4 of them mentioned use in a Saiga 7.62x39. Looking to see if we got any feedback here.

Got 6 when 1st came out, always have functioned. Do not have steel inserts, have dropped a couple on concrete, still function. Everyone has their prefered mag. I like military surplus steel. Or Romy surplus slab sides with metal inserts.

• Like 1

They make great mags. I have many in x39 and .223 and they have been flawless.

Just my opinion, but they make lots of great products and are a great friend to the gun community. Everything is Made in the USA and they are based right here in Kennesaw, GA.

Tapco mags are great for the range but I would avoid using them for any serious activities. I have a couple of the newly made Bulgarian metal magazines with polymer followers that are a pain to get into my Saiga to lock in while the Tapco mags go in perfect with very little wobble.

Edited by AphexRed

They run great, and are inexpensive to boot. Screw the guys that are worried about no steel in the mag.........hell Boeing's new 787 fuselage is primarily all composite.horror.gifhaha.gifhaha.gif

Edited by Jetmech
  • Like 3

I had four of them. Had issues fitting them into my RPK. Seems it ate up the plastic a bit. They ran well, but I traded them, mag for mag, for the flat backed Chinese steel mags that fit and run flawlessly. The Tapcos are also bulky compared to steel, and that was a big issue for me. I can get 6 steel mags in a SAW like pouch compared to 5 Tapcos.

One came with my rifle. I had to file some plastic off the tab for it to lock into the magazine catch but other than that it works great. I just ordered some more from CTD this morning for $6 ea.

What did they get you for on shipping?

One came with my rifle. I had to file some plastic off the tab for it to lock into the magazine catch but other than that it works great. I just ordered some more from CTD this morning for $6 ea.

What did they get you for on shipping?

Shipping for 5 mags was $7.84. I picked the cheapest shipping option.

I received the 30 round magazines I ordered from CTD. One clicked in the magazine catch fine but I had to fine tune the other 4 by filing the magazine tabs just a hair until they clicked in. I've heard not every rifle is the same so the mags may click right in on some rifles. I'm completely satisfied and plan on ordering some Tapco 20 round mags next.

2012-08-25_18-25-56_943.jpg

20120815_095912.jpg

I picked these up when I got the 30 rounders. The 20 rounders are smaller, lighter and were purchased specifically to meet IDPA's 3 gun/Defensive Multi Gun restrictions. (max 20 round in a mag) why use longer, heavier mags and download them?

I have not used them yet, so any review will have to wait. Still waiting on paperwork for the actual rifle here.

KBK

for some reason i always have noticed that tapco makes things that require a little "fitting" in a sense its always alittle to big for my guns. not a big deal, all my steel mags and other pro mag polymer ones fit in like a snap but i always have to file a little bit down off the tapcos. its strange cause those are the only mags i have problems with. id say go for it there good mags but id use steel mil surplus over them if i could. its just nice to have these cause of cheapness to them. i seen they even have slab sided ones and an orange tapco mag aswell now. will pick up a couple different ones eventually, all i have atm is the black poly 30rnders.

Ive got a few of them and, just as others have posted, have had to "adjust" them a bit to fit. But, in my opinion, its a small price to pay when you're talking 6-9 bucks for a 30rnd mag. I mean, even if they do bust, you're not out very much anyway. Additionally, with the "adjustment" thing, for the most part all of us have "adjusted" our saigas to ak form anyway, and if you can do that, then filing a mag tab shouldnt be that big of a deal.

Although, I will say all I do is range shoot with mine anyway. Ive heard the way to go is US palm, for the more "tactical" usage.

• Like 1

I picked up a few of the non-smooth Tapco mags, some people bust them out for the polymer feed lips but the mag that comes with the rifle shares that feature. Hope to take them out soon for some testing.

Anybody try dropping their gun on the leaded mag to see if it'll withstand that abuse? If it can with stand at least that much it should be fine for range work and hunting.

I try to never drop a gunhaha.gif

Man me either, but if your climbing in and out of blinds it can happen.

That's what spare magazines are for.

I used to have a couple that were relegated strictly for range use. Took the wear and tear off my Chinese/East German mags. I traded them one range trip to a guy for 4 flatback mags because the steel wobbled so bad in his WASR he was having feeding troubles. He snapped in a Tapco, and it was a happy WASR.

I plan on getting a few more for range/last resort use. The steels are drying up, and Bulgys are a little out of my budget right now.