New guy here. I want to get a IZ 340 rifle,but I can't find them anywhere. I plan on doing the pistol grip and trigger conversion myself,but I don't think I can do the FSB and GB. This is going to replace my PPsh 43c as my farm/coyote gun,and I really want a saiga. Does anyone know where to find one? However if I can not find a semi-convert then I will just have my gunsmith do it. But if that is the case that gives me the option of the 20 inch barrel. How does the longer barrel effect the 5.45 round? My only guess is going off of the fact that the 5.56 was made around the 20 inch barrel and that the 5.45 is the ruskie answer to the 5.56 it would improve performance? But the thicker barrel is appealing. Has any one converted a 20 5.45? Doe it look bad in the the ak set-up? Thanks.

Edited by Never Enough Ammo

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct1076.aspx

Second rifle down. ;)

I'm not an AR expert, so I can't comment regarding the 5.56 being designed around a 20" barrel, but I do know that the 5.45 was designed around the 16" barrel, with a completely different twist rate - 1/8". I would assume (remember what happens when we assume) that a 20" barrel on a 5.45x39 will give you marginal improvement in accuracy, but I have seen an 8.5" Krink barrel do surprisingly well (Minute of Man) at distance in excess of 200yds with surplus ammunition...

I ordered the IZ340 from Atlantic several months ago. It's a great rifle, and plenty accurate enough.

Edited by MyGrassIsBlue05

I should have said "In stock". That was the first place I looked. Legacy is also out,so is LWRC,J&G,Classic,Mississippi Arms,Gilbert guns and every where else I can think of. Atlantic Arms said they would not be getting more until December. If I have to wait that long I will just buy a PTR 91. However I want a Saiga,how hard is it to do a GB and FSB conversion?

the FSB and GB are best done with a press. but im doin mine with a hammer and a block of wood and some sweat. if you have acess to a dremel, just cut them off. theres a lot of threads on this forum for the mods your wanting, and will explain them in detail on various ways to do them.

Don't underestimate yourself. You can do the FSB and GB without a press if you dremel the originals off.

I did a FSB without press, just a dremel and hand drill. I read the threads Captain Hero mentioned and didn't have any problems.

After acquiring a press I pushed pins out and Bulgy FSB off so I could install GB w/ lug and lower hand guard retainer. When putting it back together I only used press to push pins back in, which was much easier than hammering them in.

Edited by NM0

Well I found a IZ 340 on RealGuns after over a hour of GoogleFu,a little more than from Atlantic,but worth it in parts price alone. Great guy there,quick response to my questions. Ups picked it up today so I am thinking it will be here Tuesday/Wednesday. I am liking this stock kit http://www.timbersmi...rod&productId=2 will look nice. Can't wait to load it up with some v-max and take out a few coyotes. It will finally replace my key-holing Yugo sks as my 300 yard gun. Now my PPsh can go back against my nightstand where it belongs. Can't wait....