Well, this morning was the last day for Baxter the dog. Cancer took a swift and harsh toll on my little buddy. I remember being the first human toutch, of him and his litter mates, so many years ago. He was an eager hunter and an unstoppable fetcher of game, and softballs. Chewer of sticks and shoes, and just a plain ol knucklehead.

Give your dog an extra treat today, just because you can.

post-16191-0-66718700-1345225974_thumb.jpg

Edited by RobRez
  • Like 11

Thanks fellas, it is a big bummer for sure. Especially having him from the minute he was born. At least I know he got the best life possible. He was very smart.....too smart sometimes. He even survived being shot in the jaw with a 12ga. Pissed off neighbor didn't like him running through his property and took a shot @ him (as opposed to calling me up and talking to me about the dog). That required reconstructive jaw surgery, as most of the laft side of his jaw was in splinters. One tough son of a bitch, Baxter was. And a big sweetheart.

I'm hoping my dog pulls through this infection, it's not looking so great though...

looks about like he's got a 2nd bum right now, all shaved up and full of welts and what not. He's not been responding well to treatment and it just seems to move around. :(

I feel for you, when I had to put my cocker spaniel down that was a hard day, she actually found a tumor on me. had her for 15 years.

This is so weird. I was just driving home this afternoon and got to thinking about when my Annie died. It must have been a weird thing to see a grown man suddenly fighting back tears in his car. I don't know if it would have been weirder to know the reason why or to hear "Karn Evil #9" on the radio.

Anyway, it really is a tough thing to lose a good friend, regardless of how many legs they have. The good memories help, but there's always some pain there.

My god... That made me tear up man... Seriously. Im so sorry that you lost a great companion. Mine is much smaller and only hunts the occasional bug, but he's still my little buddy that never leaves my side and is always happy to see me.

Baxter was the 3rd generation of his line that I had been the "Mid-wife" for at birth. We have seen his Mom and Grandma pass through our lives, and they have all enriched our lives greatly. Strange how much their Unconditional love seems impossible to repay. So I am keeping my chin up and remembering the fun and all of the birds that I can still see him retrieving. I will be sure to keep on giving back to our K-9 companions. There is always some special bond when you are their first smell, and first toutch, besides Mom licking them clean......I don't do that part!!

We still have Kitty-dog, and she will get extra treats today.....but she doesn't hunt like Baxter did, in fact I don't recall him EVER missing a bird in all our years.

• Like 3

Rob,

So sorry for your loss. We said goodbye to our old man dog Casey a month ago. It has been a little easier each day, but I still find myself missing him deeply. Dogs are so much cooler than people.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ~ Will Rogers

I'm so so sorry man. I lost my lab last year. His name was " buddy ". I miss him so much. I weep everytime I see someone loose their dog. The other day I was in an old book store and stumbled across a book written ny a lady who claimed she had proof that our canine friends go to heaven. Gawd I hope shes right. I really want to be re-united with my pal one day. I miss him so much and am so sorry for your loss. Seems it never gets easier over time either. :(

Yea... the big C sucks.... lost my girl to it a year last Feb (She's my avatar pic being all goofy). A good dog is more than 'like' a family member, they ARE a family member. I'd much rather hang out with my dogs than about 99.9% of the people I know or run into @ work. Words won't make it better, but know that in time the tears of pain will be replaced by tears of happiness at the memories.

Hang in there...