I just saw this, Rob. So sorry for your loss. I lost my "baby" to Big C last year as well. 15 years old, and was a regular Tasmanian Devil if you hurt the kids. Wouldn't chase a stick or a ball, but was always happy to see you, and loved to wrestle. Part Chow, part Spitz, and all lady. She outlived every other pup in the litter. My Winnie was one of a kind.

P9230002.jpg

Hello, RobRez

Less sorrow, more pride. I know it's tough, but that's the mindset I've tried to adopt.

You've done absolutely all you can do to provide the longest, happiest, most fulfilling life a fortunate dogger like Baxter could ever dream of....that spells PRIDE, man.

You deserve to be very proud.

No doubt there is one proud Baxter dog strutting around the Happy Hunting Ground telling all the other doggers what an awesome hunting buddy HE'S patiently waiting on to show up!

"If dog's don't go to Heaven, well, by God, just send me where they go..."

-Will Rogers

Damn throat lump

-guido

• Like 3

This is so weird. I was just driving home this afternoon and got to thinking about when my Annie died. It must have been a weird thing to see a grown man suddenly fighting back tears in his car.

Nothing wrong with that at all. It means you are a human being and have feelings. Maybe more people today should have them. I lost 2 of my dogs this Spring within 24 hours of each other. Andy and Joey were 15 and 13 respectively. I still struggle with their loss daily even though I still have 3 other guys. I knew the day was coming but I still took it very hard. I take solace that they were treated better than most people and lived happy care free lives. Rob, you have my condolences and focus that Baxter is not hurting anymore (they never let you know they are hurting) and in a better place.

• Like 1

I still miss my Doberman Dexter, he has been gone for many years. I lost my German Shepherd last winter. I still see him in out of the corner of my eyes while doing stuff outside. It's really strange. I miss Ranger, the GSD more than any other dog I have had.

Sorry for your loss. I can tell by the photo that you took great care of your buddy. I bet you had some amazing times! Maybe if we do things right, we will have all our dogs back when we get that golden ticket! :)

Hope you find a good replacement to hunt with you!

I am sorry for your loss, I too am going through the same thing with my boy Mason. Picture to the left. He can hardly walk. I just don't have the heart to put him down. My wife will have a hard time.

Hello, Yellowlabsrule

As unbelievably tough as it seems for us to endure, it is the last, and maybe best, thing we can do for our bud's.

They would not question being next to us for a second. They would not question being between us and the hand of death for a second.

Dogs don't fear their "last day".....They do fear spending it without us by their side.

There's a lot to be learned from our doggers.......

Respectfully,

-guido

"God Loves Liberty"

Edited by guido2

Well, this morning was the last day for Baxter the dog. Cancer took a swift and harsh toll on my little buddy. I remember being the first human toutch, of him and his litter mates, so many years ago. He was an eager hunter and an unstoppable fetcher of game, and softballs. Chewer of sticks and shoes, and just a plain ol knucklehead.

Give your dog an extra treat today, just because you can.

For every dogs last dawn, a cat licks his but with pride!

Muhahahahah...

The sucks to lose a pet. :(

I lost my best dog friend to outright over-enthusiasm on his part (he died insisting on playing big fetch). took a couple hours, and it was sudden. Mickey was 10 and one month when he died. He had a pet cat, actually, one of the ones that wandered wild on our land since i was younger. his 20 year old cat was accidentally killed by a playful neghbor's dog twoi years later, and that was the end of it. I have not had a pet since.

as painful as it still is for me, i wouldnt wish to not do it.

there is one thing you can count on, however, and be happy!!!

we knew them. theres 40,000 folks here witth good animal stories.

this is something we all go through, so that means a lot of us "get it".